CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-27-2004, 10:31 AM   #1
Travis John Mulroy

Profile:  
I would like to start eating according to the Zone principles. Which Zone book is best for someone who is looking to get started quickly and learn how to eat right? I am not that interested in the science behind the program; I just want to give it a try and see if it works. Or, better yet, is there a website or artice that summerizes the essentials? I've looked through the archives here, and while they are VERY interesting and informative, they often go more deeply into the details of the theory than the practice. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-27-2004, 10:41 AM   #2
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Travis, I would go to the Crossfit Journal section of this website. For $10.00 order the May 2004 Crossfit Journal: Zone Meals. This journal basically breaks down the Zone into meal plans for crossfit and is a must have. If you want theory, buy Mastering The Zone or the Omega Rx Zone. Start with the CFJ for the best pratical info on the zone for crossfit; it's cheap and you will have it via e-mail.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:07 PM   #3
Steve Lewis

Profile:  
I second Larry's recommendation. I also have a couple of Zone books and the 5/04 CFJ is a great addition as well as a stand alone overview of Zone principles. You can read it in less then 30 minutes and be well on your way to implemeting the Zone principles.
Old 08-27-2004, 07:25 PM   #4
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

Per Larry's advice in a previous post I picked up the May 2004 CF Journal - I was not dissapointed. While I still have not implemented the zone into my own nutrition regimen, I feel confident that I am armed with all the info I need.

-Jay
Old 08-29-2004, 10:27 PM   #5
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Travis,
I found myself asking this question about a month ago in this same forum. If you look down and find the thread titled "A Week in the Zone" you'll see the results. As for the info above, I can tell you from my experience, the 5/2004 CFJ has the easiest to understand breakdowns of meals and what goes into them. I also have read Mastering the Zone and started A Week in the Zone. Both contain the same basic info, but Mastering the Zone is essential as it explains why you should eat this way. IMO, it's the book to get and get the 5/04 CFJ for easy meal ideas and easy conversions into blocks. Buy some cottage cheese, plain yogurt, fruit, oatmeal, turkey, buy somme fish oil and nuts, and dig in. You'll be surprised at how easy it is and the at the fact you won't go hungry. If all else fails, wait for Robb to post some recipies and you'll be on the way.
Best of luck!
P.S. I will actually start full time on the zone next week when I go back to work. Just easier when you're not on vacation as beer isn't really a zone friendly food!
Old 09-02-2004, 04:52 PM   #6
Rick Worthington

Profile:

Travis - Definitely start with the CFJ 5/04. I also read "A Week in the Zone" and "What to Eat in the Zone." I got both books new at Barnes and Noble for 7 bucks apiece. I was already sold on the "science" and found this combination to be the "Most bang for the buck" and with minimal investment in reading. I've been eating Zone for a month with tremendous success. Good luck.