CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-29-2004, 12:10 PM   #1
Ron Nelson

Profile:
OK, So I just ordered "A Week in the Zone" on Amazon (got it for $4.50, used!). What I want to know is, did I get the right book? I thought I was also ordering "Enter the Zone," but I ended up getting "150 Zone Meals." Guess I need to read my order more carefully before finalizing it. So, do I need "Enter the Zone," or will "A Week" do for now? I'm really itching to try this way of eating so I can convince my wife to dump Weight Watchers!
Thanks for your input.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:20 PM   #2
Mike Minium

Profile:
Ron,

You want Enter the Zone. It explains the theory behind the Zone, discusses case studies (including some sports-related ones), and explains the food block concept.

I also like The OmegaRx Zone a lot, too, primarily because it gives you some good tests you can use to monitor your health (e.g., Sears gives you an idea of what a healthy HDL/triglycerides ratio should be) and because it has a nice tie-in to evolutionary theory in the beginning.

Both books should be available at any larger public library, too.

Hope this helps,

Mike
Old 07-29-2004, 01:07 PM   #3
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Mike,
Thanks. I will try to get my hands on a copy soon. Is "A Week" to advanced, or are some of the topics covered there as well. Dr. Sears' website recommends "A Week" as a place to start. Possibly because "Enter" is out of print?
Old 07-29-2004, 01:11 PM   #4
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Ron-

A week in the Zone walks you through, meal by meal. It seems to be a good starting place as people get absolutely buggared comming up with meals. It is light on the theory but you can be oblivious as to the theory and reap all of the benefits the Zone can provide.

For a Quick start it is a good place IMO.
Robb
Old 07-29-2004, 01:38 PM   #5
Ryan Shanks

Profile:

Hey guys. I only have Mastering the Zone, and that's what I've been recommending to people to buy. I find the 'week in the zone' part very helpful and it certainly explains the diet well enough for me to understand it.

Why would you recommend Enter over Mastering?
Old 07-29-2004, 05:21 PM   #6
James Taft

Profile:

Ryan. I am reading "Enter the Zone" right now (on page 65) and I it is mainly theory and stuff. I scimmed ahead and the book is almost entirely theory. I have read and heard that "Mastering the Zone" contains pretty much everything that "Enter the Zone" does. I have read some bad comments about the "150 Zone Meals" book. Mainly, the recipes are too time consuming to reproduce on a regular basis.

I think the hardest part of this diet will be to make a meal plan that is zone balanced and time efficient.
Old 07-29-2004, 06:38 PM   #7
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Ryan-

Sears "recycles" his information pretty thouroughly from book to book. MTZ might actually be the best one to get....it depends I guess on how in-depth one wants to get. If you want all the goodies ETZ and Zone-Rx will do it. Some of the other books might be better for jumpstarting a program. Whatever the case when one can find these books for $4-10 used I think it a worthwhile investment to get most if not all of them.
Robb
Old 07-29-2004, 07:10 PM   #8
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Hey Ron - Don't knock Weight Watchers. I lost 40 pounds of fat using them - all fat as measured by underwater weighing. It simply teaches appropriate portion control. You can be on the zone and weight watchers at the same time. They are not mutually exclusive.

Beth
Old 07-30-2004, 05:33 AM   #9
Scott Kustes

Profile:
I've read ETZ and MTZ. I found ETZ more interesting, but the theory was what I was looking for. Excellent books however. Anyone read "Eat Fat, Get Thin"? I got it free with my most recent order of coconut oil (which hasn't arrived yet).
Old 07-30-2004, 08:44 AM   #10
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Beth,
Actually, my wife has limited success on WW. It's just the whole "low fat" thing that gets me. To them, low fat or no fat is the best. The problem there was in place of fat, WW went after higher carb counts including sugar (this only based on my observations, not clinical by any means). So, I turn to the Zone. I can see how WW and the Zone can go hand in hand as far as portion control, so we'll see.
As for the books, sorry to hear that about the 150 Meals book. I actually ordered it by mistake as I thought I was getting ETZ. I'm going back to Amazon today to look for MTZ. Amazon has all of the Zone books for around $4.50 (average) used. Great deals. Just wish shipping was cheaper!!
Thanks for these great posts and ideas!