CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 02-27-2010, 02:49 PM   #1
Jae Lee

Profile:
Shoulder

I saw a trainer about this yesterday but since I'm no longer a varsity athlete and I am not a student at the university I work at, he would not actually take a look at it and just asked me to point to where it hurt and then made a guess based on that: shoulder separation.

I looked up shoulder separation and while the pictures match the location, I can't remember having trauma in that area recently. Is it possible to get shoulder separation from doing one of the following movements: kettlebell swings, skin the cat, push ups, dips, arm haulers? Ibuprofen has worked well in dulling the pain- I did not notice any inflammation before taking it. As far as exercising goes, I can do anything so long as it doesn't hurt so if pull ups don't cause pain, can I still do those or should I lay off it? Are there any other injuries that can happen in the same area? Maybe something that better fits with the movements I've described or is it shoulder separation?

Thanks.

Edit: would bear crawling count as "trauma"?

Last edited by Jae Lee; 02-27-2010 at 03:16 PM.. Reason: remembered something
Old 02-27-2010, 03:20 PM   #2
Jae Lee

Profile:
Re: Shoulder

I should add that I (think) have full range of motion with minimal pain if I reach straight up.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:48 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

AC joint separation?

Usually occurs with trauma although it can be stretched out through years of pressure on it. Explosive movements obviously can take a toll...

If it is... then

Basically, you can follow tendonitis protocol minus the exercise and stretching for now: wfs
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/08/on-tendonitis/

The AC joint connects scapular to the rest of the body through the clavicle. The joint is supposed to be immobile. Once it gets moving via sprain or tearing of the ligaments, it's very easy to get arthritis in the joint since the cartilage wears down pretty quickly.

Basically, what you do with AC joint is rest, massage the muscles around the area to increase blood flow for healing + keep the muscles from tightening up, fish oil for anti-inflammatory, ice if it helps.

Once it start feeling better improve range of motion with non-painful movement, and start strengthening rotator cuff muscles to make the shoulder more stable.

Then work slowly back into compound movements.

Usually each of these steps will take 2-4 weeks each. Can take more or less depending on how your body recovers -- to improve recovery capacity take the fish oil, sleep more, eat quality foods, etc.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:58 PM   #4
Jae Lee

Profile:

Any recommendations for shoulder strengthening? IYTs, internal and external rotation with light weight, lateral raises? Assuming of course there's no pain.
Old 02-28-2010, 04:28 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

LYTPs, RC work at first is fine...

wfs
http://davedraper.com/blog/2009/07/2...-become-lytps/

Can't really tell much from the picture... but it does look like there's a bit of inflammation around the AC joint so I guess that's what we're going with...