CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2009, 10:10 AM   #1
John Jaeckel
Member John Jaeckel is offline
 
John Jaeckel's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Columbus  OH
Posts: 1,103
Back spasms

Tweaked it doing some dumbell cleans the other day.

Same spot as I always do, extreme lower back, more so on the left side. I'm getting round OK, but my range of motion is limited/uncomfortable. Taking Soma and stretching a lot.

I know to rest, stretch, etc. Anyone have any other thoughts? Any ingenious stretches?

I am going to obviously avoid anything workout-wise that involves the lower back. But aside from bench press, pullups and flutter kicks, it feels like everything else is out for at least a few days. Ugh. Anyone know anything else challenging I can do, especially for the legs? I was thinking about trying mountain climbers(?)

Thx
__________________
M/52/6'/205 DL-345 BP-240 BS-300 SP-150
"This isn't rocket surgery."
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:42 AM   #2
Steven Low
Member Steven Low is offline
 
Steven Low's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: silver spring  maryland
Posts: 12,221
Re: Back spasms

Left side on the bone? Or left side on the muscle?

If it's on the bones see a chiro or PT. Likely aggravated your SI joint. May be able to get it poped back into place.

If it's muscle you need to pay more attention to form. Slow down. More form.

Heat, massage, fish oil, etc. to loosen it up and limit inflammation.

Also, you should probably actually you know.. rest. Just do upper body work.
__________________
Posts are NOT medical, training, nutrition info
Bodyweight Article, Overcoming Gravity Book
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:46 AM   #3
Mike Mallory
Member Mike Mallory is offline
 
Mike Mallory's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Denver  CO
Posts: 694
Re: Back spasms

more info would help............But that typically points to SI joint

If you don't know what the exact issue is, I wouldn't stretch......They need to be prescribed on an individual basis to be effective.
__________________
Foam rollers suck!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 05:44 PM   #4
Brian Strump
Affiliate Brian Strump is offline
 
Brian Strump's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charlotte  NC
Posts: 2,619
Re: Back spasms

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jaeckel View Post
Tweaked it doing some dumbell cleans the other day.

Same spot as I always do, extreme lower back, more so on the left side. I'm getting round OK, but my range of motion is limited/uncomfortable. Taking Soma and stretching a lot.

I know to rest, stretch, etc. Anyone have any other thoughts? Any ingenious stretches?

I am going to obviously avoid anything workout-wise that involves the lower back. But aside from bench press, pullups and flutter kicks, it feels like everything else is out for at least a few days. Ugh. Anyone know anything else challenging I can do, especially for the legs? I was thinking about trying mountain climbers(?)

Thx
Define same spot as you always do? How often does something like this happen? What do you usually do when this problem occurs? If it is something that happens often(often as greater than 3 times/year, especially if lasts greater than 3-4 days)....I would look into seeing the PT/DC for some treatment to correct this problem.
__________________
Brian Strump, D.C., FMS, NKT
www.crossfitsteelecreek.com/
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:08 AM   #5
John Jaeckel
Member John Jaeckel is offline
 
John Jaeckel's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Columbus  OH
Posts: 1,103
Re: Back spasms

Thanks for the responses,

It's muscle, not bone.

It's a back muscle spasm due to a (minor) disk issue. Been looked at by a spinal specialist in the past.

Feeling a bit better, actually ran a mile yesterday with no pain, but I'm going to limit it to mostly upper body. Stretching and massage (my 7 year old walking on my back!) helping.
__________________
M/52/6'/205 DL-345 BP-240 BS-300 SP-150
"This isn't rocket surgery."
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:56 AM   #6
Brian Strump
Affiliate Brian Strump is offline
 
Brian Strump's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charlotte  NC
Posts: 2,619
Re: Back spasms

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jaeckel View Post
Thanks for the responses,

It's muscle, not bone.

It's a back muscle spasm due to a (minor) disk issue. Been looked at by a spinal specialist in the past.

Feeling a bit better, actually ran a mile yesterday with no pain, but I'm going to limit it to mostly upper body. Stretching and massage (my 7 year old walking on my back!) helping.
Without seeing you, best I advice I can give is to find a good rehab protocol, there are many good ones you can find on back pain/disc injury threads. If you need help finding something, feel free to PM me. If you search threads on those with input from Mike and Steve(above in the thread), they offer alot of great info. What I find from most specialists, is they usually will tell you what you CANNOT do, not what to do in order to improve.
At 48, with at least one child; that is very young to conclude that you are destine for back pain for the rest of your life.
It's good to hear that you are improving, despite that, I would still strongly consider some rehab that you can do on your own in order to strengthen your back.
__________________
Brian Strump, D.C., FMS, NKT
www.crossfitsteelecreek.com/
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:37 PM   #7
John Jaeckel
Member John Jaeckel is offline
 
John Jaeckel's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Columbus  OH
Posts: 1,103
Re: Back spasms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
Without seeing you, best I advice I can give is to find a good rehab protocol, there are many good ones you can find on back pain/disc injury threads. If you need help finding something, feel free to PM me. If you search threads on those with input from Mike and Steve(above in the thread), they offer alot of great info. What I find from most specialists, is they usually will tell you what you CANNOT do, not what to do in order to improve.
At 48, with at least one child; that is very young to conclude that you are destine for back pain for the rest of your life.
It's good to hear that you are improving, despite that, I would still strongly consider some rehab that you can do on your own in order to strengthen your back.
Thx Brian.

I used to (8-10 years ago) have debilitating spasms. Like, collapsing in public from the pain, flat on my back with ice on it for days.

Started doing a lot of core strengthening at the urging of my back doc who is also my bro. in law and a lifter himself, and recently started doing a lot more stretching when I got into CF. Those things have helped, a ton.

But I have also been prone to tweaking/spasms whenever I do a lot of lifting. I just totally lost form on those cleans, bowed my back and pop.

Thanks for the advice. The stuff I've done in the past is working. It's just never fast enough. But I do need to take it easy until I am 100% then mind the form.
__________________
M/52/6'/205 DL-345 BP-240 BS-300 SP-150
"This isn't rocket surgery."
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:33 PM   #8
Steven Low
Member Steven Low is offline
 
Steven Low's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: silver spring  maryland
Posts: 12,221
Re: Back spasms

Stop aggravating your injuries.

Don't do timed workouts. They encourage skimping on technique. If you have back issues this is the last thing you need.
__________________
Posts are NOT medical, training, nutrition info
Bodyweight Article, Overcoming Gravity Book
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Back spasms from running Kieran Barry Injuries 9 12-20-2009 08:30 AM
Back Spasms Keith Wiggins Injuries 2 07-20-2008 10:04 AM
Back inflammation spasms Dan Patrick Injuries 1 07-29-2007 10:26 AM
Back Spasms Mike Breslin Injuries 2 01-17-2007 10:57 AM
Back Spasms Jonathan Kessler Injuries 4 12-02-2004 10:17 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:24 PM.


CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.