CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-05-2007, 06:48 AM   #1
Neil Khant

Profile:
I get a sore neck more often than I probably should. The two main muscles I the back of the neck, I get sore in the right muscle a lot. It gets in the way of certain exercises because I do not want to strain it more than necessary. It is usually to the point where I do not want to twist my neck over my right shoulder. Try backing out a car without that move.

Two questions:
1. Is this common with others, as this is a weaker muscle?
2. Is there an exercise that will help to minimize this from occurring?

Just trying to figure out what I can do. I do give it time to heal. And it doesn’t come back immediately, but more often than I would like. I don’t like the soreness and it gets in the way of my WOD’s.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:28 AM   #2
Neil Khant

Profile:
I also posted this in injuries, but want to get opinions on exercises.

I get a sore neck more often than I probably should. The two main muscles I the back of the neck, I get sore in the right muscle a lot. It gets in the way of certain exercises because I do not want to strain it more than necessary. It is usually to the point where I do not want to twist my neck over my right shoulder. Try backing out a car without that move.

Two questions:
1. Is this common with others, as this is a weaker muscle?
2. Is there an exercise that will help to minimize this from occurring?

Just trying to figure out what I can do. I do give it time to heal. And it doesn’t come back immediately, but more often than I would like. I don’t like the soreness and it gets in the way of my WOD’s.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:29 AM   #3
Mark James

Profile:
You may want to get an MRI done... I had a similar feeling in my neck last year... It wouldn't go away and then my left arm started getting numb and tingly occasionally. Turns out I had a herniated disc in my neck. Physical therapy for a month and I was good.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:53 PM   #4
Neil Khant

Profile:
So basically there may be exercises but would be best to consult doctor on execution or proper care.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:04 PM   #5
Elliot Royce

Profile:
not to worry you, but you might consider whether it's a pinched nerve or disk herniation. Probably best to consult an orthopedist. I've never had a sore neck solely from exercise. When you think about it, there aren't many exercise that specifically work the neck. So soreness may actually be caused by nerves rather than muscles. Or just tightness in the neck muscles, which could be relieved by a) improved technique (i.e., no clenching) or b) massage and other therapies.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:55 PM   #6
Chris Tracy

Profile:
Neil- How's your posture? Do you sit at a desk for long periods of time? I ask because I have a similar problem, my Chiro told me that it had to do with my posture and my neck muscles having to compensate for the rounded shoulders and my head being tilted forward (from looking at the computer for long periods of time) rather than in vertical alignment. This was causing the muscles in the back of my neck to work to hard compensate for my poor posture. He gave me the following exercise- fold a towel in half twice and roll it up, put it on the end of your bed, place the towel under the curve in your neck and look back. You should be looking at a point that is roughly on even with the height of your bed. Do that for 5-10 minutes a day, work on the posture and you'll see a difference. This will loosen those muscles up.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:00 PM   #7
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Please don't cross-post. Combining with the other thread.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:47 AM   #8
Neil Khant

Profile:
Sorry Lynne I was trying to get information on the injury and looking for exercises to avoid this injury. Wasn't really sure what was the best way to get information, so I posted twice.
I will try and avoid in the future.

And thank you for such a great site.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:38 AM   #9
Neil Khant

Profile:
Ok, I have an appointment to see my doctor.

I'll fill in as I get some answers. Maybe others can get something out of my issue.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:53 PM   #10
Elliot Royce

Profile:
Back/neck injuries are always tough. You might want to go progressively. Go see a massage therapist. Ask her whether your neck is unusually tight. See whether the massage helps.

If not, talk to a chiropractor or really good physical therapist. Is your body out of alignment? Do you favor one side? Check out www.egoscue.com.

Maybe a lifting coach. Is your form really good?

Doctors are not always the best at figuring out non-pathological problems. And an MRI is not cheap.