CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-19-2014, 02:17 PM   #21
Danielle Iman Lankford

Profile:
Thumbs up Re: Couple with 'opposite' goals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
Yes, this is a little thought-intensive, but the body is a very complex machine and each one reacts differently to stimuli.
That is actually a great plan! I appreciate it, and really it's a great way to look at change. Thanks!!!!!
Old 02-19-2014, 03:14 PM   #22
Todd Neal

Profile:
Re: Couple with 'opposite' goals

Quote:
Except for the fact that inputting less than you discharge is literally the only way to do it...
If you're losing weight, then it's true that you're eating less than you burn, but that doesn't make "eat less" a viable solution.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:22 PM   #23
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Neal View Post
If you're losing weight, then it's true that you're eating less than you burn, but that doesn't make "eat less" a viable solution.
Yes, it absolutely does in most cases. I'm not getting into this again with you.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:20 PM   #24
Todd Neal

Profile:

Quote:
Yes, it absolutely does in most cases. I'm not getting into this again with you.
Then don't. Let my comment to Danielle stand on its own without your unwarranted response.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:42 PM   #25
Danielle Iman Lankford

Profile:

I appreciate both comments!

Do either have a suggestion on vitamins or supplements I should be adding?
Old 02-19-2014, 05:27 PM   #26
Dakota Base

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle Iman Lankford View Post
Do either have a suggestion on vitamins or supplements I should be adding?
I'll answer this question with two questions: Are you having symptoms that suggest you are needing supplementation? Are you aware and confident that you are lacking in some vitamin that requires supplementation?

You're looking for a problem, in which case, you will certainly find one. It has been widely proven in the last few years that multivitamins and vitamin supplements are largely useless, and can cause negative side effects. In such, the fact that you are asking "do I need something" suggests that you do not. If you had a specific symptom, or have a specific food allergy (for example, my wife is allergic to milk protein, so she has to supplement calcium), then you'd need something, but it's well documented that multivitamins are more placebo than anything.

And for the record, I'm on Jeff's side. You can lower the calorie density of the foods you eat, but taking in food means taking in calories. NOT taking in food means not taking in calories. Todd's recommendation is often given to people with poor mental discipline; people that "need to eat" because they think they do, not because of a physiological signal. Their mind gets satisfied that they have eaten, but they've taken in a lower calorie density, ending up with less calories in a day. In my opinion, it's an excuse to acknowledge that you don't have self control or willpower enough to reduce your intake, and it STILL TAKES IN CALORIES.

Last edited by Dakota Base : 02-19-2014 at 05:31 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:44 PM   #27
Danielle Iman Lankford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Base View Post
I'll answer this question with two questions: Are you having symptoms that suggest you are needing supplementation? Are you aware and confident that you are lacking in some vitamin that requires supplementation?.
No, I'm not, and generally am overall healthy (I don't eat gluten due to te boating it causes). I just was just curious, I want to make sure I get as much benefit as possible.

I also agree with Jeff's logic. I have the will power and control, just need to fine time and change.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:06 AM   #28
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Based on my own experience, dont go below TDEE with your daily calorie intake for longer period of time, it can be ok 1-2 days per week, but not longer. I tried to do a bit of cutting about 2 months ago and had a plan to only consume TDEE on rest days and TDEE+burnt calories on my workout days.

I ended up sick, lost 5-10% strength, had daily headache, could not sleep, felt depressed and often lightheaded. I lost body fat, but it wasnt worth it. I for sure aint gonna do that again.

What I prefer is to eat normal and just burn more with working out, you can just add a bit of LISS cardio at the end of each workout, or if you still have some fuel, HIIT cardio. But by eating normally I mean whole food, plenty of fats, avoid sugars, etc...