CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-01-2009, 12:33 PM   #1
Thomas Covington

Profile:
Weighted Vest VS Weighted Backpack

Are there any real benefits to using a weighted vest vs a backpack full of sandbags/weights?

It seems the only real difference would be the posterior/anterior load; however I would think that a backpack would be more conforming to training for everyday life as we tend to carry on our back rather than strapped to our chest.

I am curious to hears other's views.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:38 PM   #2
Graeme Marshall

Profile:
Re: Weighted Vest VS Weighted Backpack

A weight vest by design is more comfortable to wear, as long as it fits properly and the weight is distributed evenly. The biggest issue with using a back pack will be when you start to load it up, it will start to become arkward to put on and carry considering all the weight will be trying to pull you backwards so you will need to be leaning forwrds to counter the weight.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:54 PM   #3
Stacy Sells

Profile:

It will depend on what you are trying to accomplish with it. If you want to do workouts like Murph, then you really need a vest type weight. If you want to be able to carry a load for distance, like you would in real life, then you need a back pack. I just did a 26.2 mile ruck back in April, and my knee still hurts when I think about it. The unfortunate part is there was no real carryover to anything else from all the training I put into it. I'd say go with a vest of some type that balances the load for any kind of training other than training for rucking.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:13 AM   #4
Christopher Delgado

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Covington View Post
Are there any real benefits to using a weighted vest vs a backpack full of sandbags/weights?

It seems the only real difference would be the posterior/anterior load; however I would think that a backpack would be more conforming to training for everyday life as we tend to carry on our back rather than strapped to our chest.

I am curious to hears other's views.
All things being equal, use a vest. By loading up a backpack you have to compensate for that loading in a mechanical fashion (e.g., leaning forward). The fact that the vest distributes the weight around your torso alleviates this issue. Also, depending on what you are doing, carrying a heavy pack could cause you to hurt yourself if you lose your balance for instance.

That said, if you are training for a long hike or something like that, definitely do some sessions with a pack. When my buddy was getting ready for a long hike in Glacier National Park, he would stop every day on his way to work and load up his pack with a bottles of water and do about 45 minutes climbing. He just added a bottle or two every couple sessions.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:44 AM   #5
Ahmik Jones

Profile:

I would agree with the above. Another nice thing about a weight vest is that for military and law enforcement it simulates wearing body armor. For the rest of us wearing a weight vest allows for more versatile exercises, such as weighted muscle ups that would be extremely difficult with a weighted pack.

I have had a couple of clients who did every workout other than pure lifting in a vest for a month that had a huge improvement.