CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-20-2009, 05:43 PM   #1
Derek Henson

Profile:
cant lift, cant improve, cant sleep...

I've been doing CF for about 6 months now. For some reason I cannot improve my overhead squat. I cant even do an overhead squat for that matter. The flexibility in my back, hamstrings and calves suck @$$. When I get the bar over my head...I lean forward. My biggest problem is I cannot balance on my heels. How do I improve this balance?

How do I fix this one....I really dont stretch, but this is the other kicker....for the past 3 days I've had to wake up at 2am and stretch just to get back to my tossing and turning sleep. My whole body cramps up at night.

Can stretching improve my sleep and my overhead squat? How long do I stretch? What do I stretch?

I know this thread may sound confusing and alot of you may be reading this with that WTF look on your face...bottom line, I wonder if my lack of stretching is keeping me from sleeping and making the gains that I strive for?

Old 01-20-2009, 05:48 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: cant lift, cant improve, cant sleep...

Just OHS? Overall decreases in performance = general overreaching = not enough rest/food/recovery.

As for OHS... improve hamstring flexibility, foam roll your thoracic spine, stretch your shoulders in flexion + band/bar dislocates, etc. Vid in digital coaching = good idea.

As for waking up that's kinda weird. Lack of being able to sleep well is a symptom of overreaching/overtraining so I wouldn't rule that out. Otherwise, I'd say try some PNF stretching, try to relax before bed, and possibly ZMA.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:49 PM   #3
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Eat more fruit, especially potassium-rich stuff like bananas. And drink more water. Whole body cramps in the middle of the night sounds suspiciously like an electrolyte imbalance to me.

Katherine
Old 01-20-2009, 05:57 PM   #4
Derek Henson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Just OHS? Overall decreases in performance = general overreaching = not enough rest/food/recovery.

As for OHS... improve hamstring flexibility, foam roll your thoracic spine, stretch your shoulders in flexion + band/bar dislocates, etc. Vid in digital coaching = good idea.

As for waking up that's kinda weird. Lack of being able to sleep well is a symptom of overreaching/overtraining so I wouldn't rule that out. Otherwise, I'd say try some PNF stretching, try to relax before bed, and possibly ZMA.
Dude I hate to sound dumb...but I'm an ex-football player. Can you explain this is really simple terms?

- the part about foam rolling and...what is a thoracic spine..and what digital coaching video are you refering to?
Old 01-20-2009, 05:59 PM   #5
Derek Henson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Eat more fruit, especially potassium-rich stuff like bananas. And drink more water. Whole body cramps in the middle of the night sounds suspiciously like an electrolyte imbalance to me.

Katherine
Great suggestion..and I had the same idea; But I thought bananas were anti-zone. I already eat a gang of fruit and veggies...everything but bananas.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:05 PM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Henson View Post
Dude I hate to sound dumb...but I'm an ex-football player. Can you explain this is really simple terms?

- the part about foam rolling and...what is a thoracic spine..and what digital coaching video are you refering to?
Uh...

Is it just your OHS that is messed up? Or have you been experiencing OVERALL decreasing in performance for everything? If so you NEED more rest. One of the signs of overreaching/overtraining is lack of ability to sleep well.

foam roll thoracic spine wfs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3AFkZyRDX0

There is a forum called digital coaching. If you post a video of yourself in there, it's easier to correct form issues than if you just say you're having problems.

Stretch your hamstrings, t-spine and shoulders.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:07 PM   #7
Derek Henson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Uh...

Is it just your OHS that is messed up? Or have you been experiencing OVERALL decreasing in performance for everything? If so you NEED more rest. One of the signs of overreaching/overtraining is lack of ability to sleep well.

foam roll thoracic spine wfs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3AFkZyRDX0

There is a forum called digital coaching. If you post a video of yourself in there, it's easier to correct form issues than if you just say you're having problems.

Stretch your hamstrings, t-spine and shoulders.

Dude I see you respond to alot of threads...Thanks for your response to my question. I think this may help me.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:31 AM   #8
Thomas Bailly

Profile:

Treat stretching like it's a serious lift: learn about it, do it,measure progress, and do it even when you would rather not. ( post workout/evening)
Old 01-21-2009, 10:56 AM   #9
Oliver Bradley

Profile:

If you can't easily touch your toes then your hamstring, glutes and low back may all need some stretching. Sometimes there is a tightness imbalance on one side of the body. To test for this you can sit on the floor and stretch over both legs straight, then bend one in to a figure four position and stretch again and then the other side.

If there is a significant tightness difference in one side versus the other and you have no history of injury this could be the result of a structural problem, either a tilted pelvis, something off in your shoulder girdle or one leg being shorter than the other.

If you know nothing about stretching you can take a yoga class and remember some of the poses that were most difficult for you (although most of them will be extremely difficult).

If you don't want to eat bananas coconut water is a great source of electrolytes although I can't say for sure whether it is excluded by the zone diet.