CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 06-28-2008, 04:02 PM   #1
Andrew Makely

Profile:
Muscle imbalance

Just wanted to share my expeirence with this issue with others. I am new to crossfit but have been an avid runner/climber/weight lifter for years. 3 years ago i woke up with a severe pain down my right leg. I went to every chiro, acupunctuist/whatever to look for a solution. No one could give me more than temporary relief. FOr months I was incapable of doing any exercise or even simple bending over. Then i met some PT's who deal with muscular and facsia tissue work. They told me I had over developed my chain to create power through one side of my body and it had spasmed. Through they next couple months they worked with me and got me out of pain and back on track. Even if i had known what was wrong I realize I would not have been able to correct it myself. I needed to find help. The reason I share this is that when I look at some of the atheletes in the pictures (including some of the great ones) I can see the imbalances that they have/or are developing. It may not ever cause them the pain I had, but it could. If it does, find real professionals to help. In the mean time, have your lifting parteners check your physique and form. Lifting unevenly is not natural or "just the way my body is". It will hurt you. P.S. sorry i cant spell.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:22 PM   #2
Aileen Reid

Profile:
Re: Muscle imbalance

It is surprising how some apparently small things can cause so much grief. And go un-noticed for so long. I have been in a similar situation with my back. I felt like things weren't right so some time whilst squatting but it wasn't until the wheels started to fall off in a big way that I got looked at and started finding some answers. A trainer had said to me you go down crooked when you squat. When he straightened me up it felt weird. Now I know why! I think the root of all my woes is a dicky facet joint throwing everything else out - pelvis, leg length etc. Symmetry and balance is so important.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:23 AM   #3
Chuck Hoyes

Profile:
Re: Muscle imbalance

Sounds like a job for Uneven Grace.

link to crossfit WOD, so, safe all around.