CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-17-2005, 12:15 PM   #1
Phillip C. Boyd

Profile:
I've recently had a chiro and physical therapist state what I've been going through with my back muscles for quite some time - I've got a serious imbalance. When I lean back against a wall or a chair, I can feel that my right side (lats) is thicker than my left side. A lot of CF workouts rx many whole body (dual sided) exercises so can somebody recommend an approach I can use to mix in single side workouts?

This has become a growing issue because for years I've had weird pains and persistent trigger points that various docs, therapists, etc have attributed to the muscle imbalance. Thanks and peace.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:11 PM   #2
Tim Richardson

Profile:  
Well, between you and me (because the use of isolation movements is strictly prohibited at CF) I would say do some single-arm rows, pulldowns, reverse DB raises, and any other machines that allow the use of only one hand. Get creative with dumbbells as well. But shhhhh, don't let anyone know I told you!
Old 10-18-2005, 11:53 PM   #3
Kalen Meine

Profile:
You can mix in plenty of one armed usable movements, too. Renegade rows- one armed DB rows in a pushup plank hold- would work, so would one-armed body rows- hanging from rings or a bar by one hand with feet on the floor. Also check form on your normal exercises- maybe stick with DB presses, jerk, etc for a while to make sure you're pushing evenly? Hang your pullup bar from the center with some chain so it tips if you pull unevenly? Just some thoughts.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:55 PM   #4
Kalen Meine

Profile:
Also, what are your numbers for an exercise like pullups? My lats were way different sizes at 6 pullups, at 25-30 they're pretty well evened out.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:17 PM   #5
Travis Hall

Profile:

you could also try this:

http://www.torqueathletic.com/product.php?deptid=3&catid=11&subcatid=113&pid=504 2&r=32247

Nate Morrison's Center Suspension System:
pullup bar suspended only from middle. forces you to pull equally or a side will dip or the rig will start to twist- expose your weaknesses. it's been seen around the forums before. i recommend trying to make one yourself as it's quite expensive.
just a thought...
t.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:41 PM   #6
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Pay attention to how you are doing the exercises. Your body has got to be compensating the strength difference by working "wrong" or unbalanced. This might mean not using weight at all for some time as you relearn the movements in a balanced way. Pay strict attention to form - on everything. As Kalen said, you might be uneven at one point but to get to the higher numbers, you have got to even out.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:49 AM   #7
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
Everything that was said above plus OHS

One armed DB snatch with an overhead squat

One armed DB clean and jerk

Don't neglect your dominant side but do significantly more reps with your weak side. Maybe 3x10 1-3 times a week. Do light OHS everyday as a warmup and for coordination and good flexibility.

P.S. I only know this because I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night
Old 10-20-2005, 08:37 AM   #8
Phillip C. Boyd

Profile:
Wow, thanks everyone for all those suggestions! I feel like I have a good template for how to attack the strength/size differential.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:07 AM   #9
Skipp Benzing

Profile:
Maybe sub rope climbing for pull ups every once in a while. This will force you to pull with both sides. I think this might help when added with all the one arm d.b stuff.