CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-10-2013, 01:02 PM   #21
Rob Bousquet

Profile:
Re: Crossfit on Biggest losers

What I think is funny is the Planet Fitness gym has people doing CrossFit in it. I bet Jillian would sound off the lunk alarm 1 million times on the first episode! Probably not a lot of cussing and puking going on at any other Planet Fitness.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:15 PM   #22
Roger Harrell

Profile:

NBC is pretty stringent about what brands show. It is a matter of paid placement. Rogue likely sponsored the show. CrossFit hasn't. There ya go, no brand mention.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:12 PM   #23
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Product placement is the old/new sponsorship.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:24 AM   #24
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

also the Biggest Loser has it's own brand of workouts - DVDs, video games, etc. Plus all the other companies that sponsor them or advertise might not like them pushing a different product. there may also have been doctors or lawyers involved and liability issues. Lastly, like it or not, CFHQ attitude has both pros and cons... so if you were to say "hey we are doing functional high intensity fitness", then everyone thinks it's great, but if you say "we are doing Crossfit" suddenly everyone starts hating. As for rogue, they are not a workout program, they are a maker of various kinds of fitness equipment. yes, they were closely connected to CF, but they have expanded well beyond that at this point.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:29 AM   #25
Charles Golden

Profile:

Anyone notice Bob used the "deck of cards" WOD as his final workout (or whatever it's called). They did thrusters, pushups, burpees and air squats.
Grace - 1:58 Fran - 3:55 CFT - 985
Old 01-16-2013, 09:58 AM   #26
Eric Shuty

Profile:

Just like everything else, Crossfit did not invent "deck of cards" workouts. We were using them in the military using a variety of exerises long before Crossfit. Just because Crossfit does it doesn't mean they created it or own it. That's how they get away with doing it, even if the workouts are exactly the same. You can't copyright all combinations of high intensity workouts and label it Crossfit......
Old 01-16-2013, 10:17 AM   #27
Charles Golden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Shuty View Post
Just like everything else, Crossfit did not invent "deck of cards" workouts. We were using them in the military using a variety of exerises long before Crossfit. Just because Crossfit does it doesn't mean they created it or own it. That's how they get away with doing it, even if the workouts are exactly the same. You can't copyright all combinations of high intensity workouts and label it Crossfit......
Yea I wasn't suggesting CF or any of us should attack Bob or the show, just think it's pretty cool how his training on that show is almost 100% CF now (he even said recently on Twitter that this season was "all about Crossfit with his team"). At least the part they show on TV b/c I know the contestants do hours and hours of low intensity cardio that's rarely televised. It really kills the excuses you hear alot of times about "I need to get in shape before I start CF" or "I'm just not ready for something that intense."

It is interesting though that he's Level 1 certified now, and someone that HQ has embraced and is promoting as "part of the community", yet I think he's walking a fine line between doing some of the exact things that others have been criticized or even ostracized for doing.
Grace - 1:58 Fran - 3:55 CFT - 985
Old 01-16-2013, 11:37 AM   #28
Richard Colon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Golden View Post
Anyone notice Bob used the "deck of cards" WOD as his final workout (or whatever it's called). They did thrusters, pushups, burpees and air squats.
A very long time ago I did this workout with a deck of cards. I used black cards for 1 rep count and red cards for another rep count. If you drew the Joker you had to shuffle in all of the cards you had already done up to that point, and then permanently removed the Joker. I also assigned a different exercise to the 4 different suits. The goal was to finish the entire 54 (2 jokers) card deck within a set amount of time.

I don't remember all of the details, except...I know that it was in early 1994, just before I left to basic training.

Not sure where I was going with this....
Old 01-16-2013, 11:51 AM   #29
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Shuty View Post
True... but there is the "Hopper Deck" that came out a few years ago.
I think it would have been cool if he had THAT deck of cards.

wfs

http://www.thehopperdeck.com/
Old 01-17-2013, 06:47 PM   #30
Crissilia Suta

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Call me a crap businessman, but if I believe in something I promote the heck out of it with ZERO care about if it makes me money. I truly believe in loyalty and helping out your friends.
Agree!