CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-23-2005, 09:40 AM   #1
Donald Woodson

Profile:

This is a carry over from William Jones post about fasting and GH.
I read a little of the www.evfit.com site and noticed the similarities of how native Americans and native Australians shared pretty much the same problems when exposed to European type foods.
I live very close to the only pyramids in North America. They were once populated by the Cahokians, an agricultural people. Their entire society was based around maize (corn). There were many other native American nations around here as well. This whole area along the Mississippi used to be a trade highway for ancient natives of varying nations.
Occasionally, when I'm out messin around in the woods around here, I'll find little bits and things the early natives left behind. Arrowheads, hide scrapers, pounding stones etc. I always study the item and its surroundings closely, and wonder about the person who left it in this spot hundreds or thousands of years ago, and under what circumstances. What did he eat? Was this spear point broken in half during a battle with a bear, whooly mammoth, or another human? I'm always fascinated by this stuff.
Anyway, to those of you who are interested in paleo type cultures and diets, I found this an interesting read:
http://www.westonaprice.org/traditio...americans.html
Did you get that recipe for Carribou stomach contents fermented with blood? Yum yum.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:36 AM   #2
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
Excellent article - isn't it wierd how our bodies are optimized when used in the ways they evolved to be used?

Edit: These people ate very few carbs, and even fewer that weren't covered in fat (reducing GI/GL). I liked how much of their fruit was dried, I'll have to do some reading the effects of that.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:06 PM   #3
Donald Woodson

Profile:

Wouldn't it be cool to be able to do the things they could do?
This paragraph really got my attention:

The early explorers consistently described the native Americans as tall and well formed. Of the Indians of Texas, the explorer Cabeza de Vaca wrote, "The men could run after a deer for an entire day without resting and without apparent fatigue. . . one man near seven feet in stature. . . runs down a buffalo on foot and slays it with his knife or lance, as he runs by its side."7 The Indians were difficult to kill. De Vaca reports on an Indian "traversed by an arrow. . . he does not die but recovers from his wound." The Karakawas, a tribe that lived near the Gulf Coast, were tall, well-built and muscular. "The men went stark naked, the lower lip and nipple pierced, covered in alligator grease [to ward off mosquitoes], happy and generous, with amazing physical prowess. . . they go naked in the most burning sun, in winter they go out in early dawn to take a bath, breaking the ice with their body."

BADASSES!
Old 02-23-2005, 01:24 PM   #4
William Hunter

Profile:
Great article Donald!

Never knew the term "rabbit starvation" even existed.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:31 PM   #5
Garry Berryhill

Profile:
Reminds me of stories my father would tell about the old days. The first thing I learned about hunting was to avoid rabbits because "you can eat a hundred of those things and starve to death".

No secret that Indians eating a typical American diet have very low quality of life. Go into any tribal health facility on Diabetes day (week, month, year) and you will see wall-to-wall walking dead, poisoned by their own failing pancreases and kidneys.

I also wonder about the differences from tribe to tribe. My own tribe (the Euchee) lived in the Southeast and cultivated much of their food.

The talk about how much meat they ate back in the day makes me think of my own CKD days. I never had any of the side effects my bodybuilder friends complained about, which led me to believe that I processed a meat-heavy diet more efficiently than they did. I know that's just conjecture, but still interesting to me.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:13 PM   #6
Robert Wolf

Profile:
For quite some time various native american tribes were the tallest (on average) people in the world.

Indigenous peoples of all locations typically have no problem with wisdom teeth due to a fully developed dental arch.

Robb