CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-02-2004, 01:00 PM   #1
Jon Pappas

Profile:
Interesting article on the benefits of squatting vs. sitting and the west's bias toward squatting.

http://www.curtin.edu.au/curtin/dept/physio/pt/staff/straker/publications/1996Cy bTransfolder/1996CybTrans.html

Debunking the Myths About Squatting http://www.stumptuous.com/learnsquat.html

Fahrni (1975) has questioned the validity of the 'lumbar lordosis' paradigm, based upon some quite surprising findings from field studies conducted in India. In a study of 450 Indian jungle dwellers aged 15 to 44 years, who customarily sit or squat on the ground, he found "a zero incidence of back pain" (p.96) and from radiographic evidence, a 9% incidence of lumbar disc shrinkage, rising minimally with age. This contrasted quite markedly with his comparative study on a sample of European 'heavy labourers'. Results showed an incidence of disc narrowing of 80% by age 55, with much of the narrowing being 'very gross'
Old 06-02-2004, 01:10 PM   #2
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
and on a more humorous note:
Mockumentary: The Asian Squat

Kind of shows how ridiculous the western bias against squatting is.

Note that artificial knees manufactured for Westerners have a range of motion (110-133 degrees, typically) that make them unsuitable for the Asian market.
Improved artificial knees now suitable for Asian markets
"The new knee replacements were introduced two years ago in Asian and middle Eastern countries in response to growing demands from people whose cultures involve sitting on their knees or kneeling when praying or eating. Growing numbers of people there who had knee replacement surgery using existing prosthetic knee joints developed in the Western world complained about their inadequate flexibility."
Old 06-02-2004, 02:16 PM   #3
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Let us not forget....crapping:

http://www.vancouveryoga.com/squattytraining.html

Old 06-02-2004, 03:05 PM   #4
Jon Pappas

Profile:
Robb - do you use "Nature's Platform" or do you just squat on the toilet seat itself? Austraila makes the "In Lieu" toilet seat converter.

It's amazing to think that everything from hemorroids to colon cancer could be cured by just crapping the way nature intended.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:12 PM   #5
Robert Wolf

Profile:
I have not purchased the platform yet...once or twice this has meant disaster in the middle of the night!
Old 06-02-2004, 04:13 PM   #6
Andrew Cattermole

Profile:
Just for a different side.
"Chinese people face an increased risk of arthritis of the knee because of the widespread asian practice of squating a new study suggests.Researcheres from the US and China analysed data from studies in the two countries and found a direct link between how long pepople squated in their 20s and their likelihood of developing arthritis.Those that sqauted for more then 2 hours a day were twice as likely to have athritis as those who did not.The study published in Arthritis and Rheumatism report that Chinese women were 9.5% more likely to have arthritis of the knee than American women and Chinese men were 5.4% more likely to have it."
This is more an indication of how quickly scientific methodology can contridict itself when using an isolationist approach.
Jon are you an Aussie?
Old 06-02-2004, 04:28 PM   #7
Jon Pappas

Profile:
Andrew,

Thanks for showing me a different perspective. 9.5% and 5.4% doesn't seem that much greater of a risk.

No, I'm not an Aussie, though I would love to visit some day. Have you ever seen one of those In Lieu toilet converters in Australia? Here's what they look like http://www.naturesplatform.com/mychild.html?sid=91005_48992_1086218866&a=&p=mych ild.html&s=&c=&x=1
Old 06-02-2004, 06:57 PM   #8
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
Loren Cordain: "Paleo Diet: The Bathroom Edition"

That's a book I'D like to see.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:06 PM   #9
Andrew Cattermole

Profile:
Nah not much risk,just wanted to reference how research is often isolationist.
Seen those but don't know of any in common use.Having lived in China and Japan I think you could import, if you are serious about it a porcelain "squater" toilet for very cheap.
Although I think I get my share of squating in Crossfit anyway:happy:
Old 06-04-2004, 12:25 AM   #10
Sean Harrison

Profile:
I am in Taiwan and have yet to use one of the squat toilets. One: I'm scared because I've never used it before....and two...the ones I've seen have shown that some people have poor aim...ugh:crazy: