CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 09-16-2011, 11:12 AM   #211
Luke Seubert

Profile:
Re: PaleoZone vs Morbid Obesity: An Odyssey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia View Post
I would absolutely never recommend someone to track their progress daily but you seem borderline obsessed with it, so while it's working, keep at it. I'm just glad it's working.
Well, I am obsessed with daily weigh-ins to the extent that they provide much needed data for my Bodyweight Trend calculation. Bodyweight Trend is what I really pay close attention to, since it gives me much more reliable information about what is really going on than discrete bodyweight data ever could.

For example, remember when I concluded that I was consuming too few calories, and was losing too much muscle mass and not enough fat? I would not have been able to figure that out as quickly as I did if I wasn't tracking all this daily and weekly data. I probably would have plowed on for another four to six weeks before getting a clue. Instead, I figured it out quickly, jacked up my caloric intake, and began exercising more to hold the line on muscle mass.

For most people who only need to lose modest amounts of fat, like 20 to 40 pounds, I think your preferred method is the way to go, Arturo. For those folks, it is simpler and just makes sense.

But for morbidly obese people like me, who need to undertake a fat loss regimen lasting 12 to 18 months, maybe even longer; my method makes more sense. If you screw up while losing 30 pounds by losing too much muscle or semi-starving yourself, it is not a big deal, because you don't do it for a long time. But if you screw up while losing 180 pounds, the long term health consequences can be unpleasant. Chronic semi-starvation can cause permanent damage to the body - see historical medical reports on WWII concentration camp survivors.

I am skating along the edge as it is right now with my weight loss rate, which is why I watch my metrics like a hawk.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:31 AM   #212
Luke Seubert

Profile:

Arturo quite correctly pointed out that daily weight loss is at best a distracting nuisance, while weekly and monthly weight loss rates are more important.

Just so folks know, I do track this sort of data. I just don't post it very often, as it is kind of dull. But hey, sometimes boring you guys with endless data is a good thing

So, below is a table showing my weight loss rates from the beginning back in May, over four week periods, using my Bodyweight Trend. If you look at the Lbs/Week column, you can see the rapid early loss, and then the lower loss rates as I upped the calories, and then the dip when I went off diet and exercise due to Hurrican Irene. My goal is to return to the high 2's to low 3's, like I was doing in Weeks 9-13 through 12-16.

__________________Begin___________End_________Lbs Lost_______Lbs/Week__

__Weeks 1-5_______421.2 lbs_______404.2 lbs_______17.0 lbs_______4.25 Lbs/Wk
__Weeks 2-6_______416.7 lbs_______400.2 lbs_______16.5 lbs_______4.13 Lbs/Wk
__Weeks 3-7_______412.6 lbs_______396.1 lbs_______16.5 lbs_______4.13 Lbs/Wk
__Weeks 4-8_______408.3 lbs_______391.7 lbs_______16.6 lbs_______4.15 Lbs/Wk
__Weeks 5-9_______404.2 lbs_______387.4 lbs_______16.8 lbs_______4.20 Lbs/Wk
_Weeks 6-10_______400.2 lbs_______383.9 lbs_______16.3 lbs_______4.08 Lbs/Wk
_Weeks 7-11_______396.1 lbs_______381.0 lbs_______15.1 lbs_______3.77 Lbs/Wk
_Weeks 8-12_______391.7 lbs_______378.3 lbs_______13.4 lbs_______3.35 Lbs/Wk
_Weeks 9-13_______387.4 lbs_______375.2 lbs_______12.2 lbs_______3.05 Lbs/Wk
Weeks 10-14_______383.9 lbs_______372.0 lbs_______11.9 lbs_______2.97 Lbs/Wk
Weeks 11-15_______381.0 lbs_______369.1 lbs_______11.9 lbs_______2.98 Lbs/Wk
Weeks 12-16_______378.3 lbs_______365.8 lbs_______12.5 lbs_______3.13 Lbs/Wk
Weeks 13-17_______375.2 lbs_______364.2 lbs_______11.0 lbs_______2.75 Lbs/Wk
Weeks 14-18_______372.0 lbs_______361.5 lbs_______10.5 lbs_______2.62 Lbs/Wk
Weeks 15-19_______369.1 lbs_______358.1 lbs_______11.0 lbs_______2.75 Lbs/Wk
Old 09-17-2011, 07:07 AM   #213
Luke Seubert

Profile:

Saturday Weekly Body Measurements Update
Date: September 17, 2011

Last Week's Total Body Measurement: 929.0 cm
This Week's Total Body Measurement: 929.5 cm
Beginning Date for Body Measurements - May 14, 2011 - Total Body Measurements: 1009.5 cm
Total Centimeters Lost to Date: 80.0 cm

Comments
A somewhat disappointing week for TBM. Limb measurements held fairly steady, and I saw a nice drop in my chest measurement. My waist remained the same and my hips moved up a little bit. Since my BFC has leveled out, I am operating on the assumption that my fat loss rates have plateaued and I am in one of those weird flat spots that I get every now and then. Bodyweight is the same story - plateau.

I am not too worried about this, as it has happened before, and I have always broken through. The one difference is that this time, I am doing some very strenuous workouts with the waiter's walk and farmer's walk. They leave me quite tired throughout the day, and I am wondering if my cortisol levels are bouncing up. I'm not sure yet, but I will pay attention to the situation.

Body Measurements for Last Week and This Week
An explanation about "Total Body Measurements" and how I use body measurements to assess fat loss over time may be found in my previous post, "The Humble Tape Measure: Simple But Oh So Useful" (WFS).

Right Thigh: 67.0 cm, 67.0 cm
Right Calf: 50.0 cm, 50.0 cm
Right Ankle: 28.0 cm, 28.0 cm

Left Thigh: 69.0 cm, 70.0 cm
Left Calf: 50.0 cm, 50.5 cm
Left Ankle: 28.0 cm, 28.0 cm

Right Arm: 36.5 cm, 37.0 cm
Right Forearm: 33.5 cm, 33.5 cm
Right Wrist: 20.0 cm, 20.0 cm

Left Arm: 40.5 cm, 40.5 cm
Left Forearm: 34.0 cm, 33.5 cm
Left Wrist: 20.0 cm, 20.0 cm

Neck: 43.5 cm, 43.5 cm
Chest: 138.0 cm, 135.0 cm
Waist: 150.0 cm, 150.5 cm
Hips: 121.0 cm, 122.5 cm
Old 09-17-2011, 07:09 AM   #214
Luke Seubert

Profile:

WOD - Upper Body Medley

Date: September 17, 2011

Conditions
  • Indoors
Comments
This was the first time through this exercise routine. All in all, it went well, except that I did 3 rounds instead of 4. Breakfast was burning on the stove, and I had to see to that.

My reps held steady for most exercises, except for pushups and presses. I'll have to increase the difficulty of the pullups and dips. I am not quite sure how to do that for dips. I might try deeper dips off of the back of a couch, rather than the basement stairs.

Warmup - Mini-Trampoline Rebounding
  • Time: 5 minutes
Upper Body Medley
Each exercise: 20 seconds - AMRAP, 40 seconds - rest.
Five exercises, scaled as required, per round.
Record repetitions for each round.

Total Time: 15 minutes
Rounds Completed: 3
Heart Rate: n/a
  1. Pushups - scaled from 5th step of staircase: 11-8-7
  2. Pullups - scaled from 2 1/2 feet of rope: 8-8-7
  3. Air Squats: 12-12-11
  4. Dips - scaled from 4th step of staircase: 10-10-10
  5. Dumbbell Presses - 2 x 20 lbs: 10-10-8
Old 09-17-2011, 08:31 AM   #215
Meghan Reid

Profile:

Some ideas for dips:

1. Stay on the stairs and add some weight to them somehow, although it sounds like you're trying to get more ROM.
2. Use a chair (straight backed dining room-type-chair, not a cushy one) - back of the chair against a wall for stability, hands on the edge of the seat, walk legs forward, dip as low as you can.
3. There are a bunch of tutorials out there for making homemade paralettes out of PVC piping. This would allow you to work on static holds which will also help you build strength in your shoulders, arms and core. Always a good addition to the home gym I think.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:35 AM   #216
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Are you doing what is typicalle called Bench Dips? With your legs in front of you? If so, place a weight plate on your thighs to increase difficulty.

Luke you're a smart guy. If you were only taking, say, Weekly measurements and not Daily, do you really feel it would have taken you 4-6 weeks to notice your calories needed adjusting? If so I'm curious as to why? I just ask for the sake of arguing a little bit, I hope you don't mind

Do you also measure each body part daily?
Old 09-17-2011, 10:22 AM   #217
Luke Seubert

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan Reid View Post
1. Stay on the stairs and add some weight to them somehow, although it sounds like you're trying to get more ROM.
Yup - exactly. I am looking for more range of motion. The pullups and dips are practice for the eventual muscle-ups. While it will be a long time until I can do those, I can start training for them now. And yes, someday I will pick up a set of rings to work with too
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan Reid View Post
2. Use a chair (straight backed dining room-type-chair, not a cushy one) - back of the chair against a wall for stability, hands on the edge of the seat, walk legs forward, dip as low as you can.
3. There are a bunch of tutorials out there for making homemade paralettes out of PVC piping. This would allow you to work on static holds which will also help you build strength in your shoulders, arms and core. Always a good addition to the home gym I think.
I think I will go with the chair option, for now. There are some chairs sitting in the basement that would work just fine. In the longer run though, I agree - homemade paralettes are the answer. Especially as I like making workout gear, not just buying it.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:38 AM   #218
Luke Seubert

Profile:

Quote:
Are you doing what is typicalle called Bench Dips? With your legs in front of you? If so, place a weight plate on your thighs to increase difficulty.
Thanks for the suggestion, Arturo. I am going to combine it with Meghan's suggestion about the chairs, and use chairs for greater range of motion and weights for greater intensity. I can feel the pain in my triceps already

Quote:
Luke you're a smart guy. If you were only taking, say, Weekly measurements and not Daily, do you really feel it would have taken you 4-6 weeks to notice your calories needed adjusting? If so I'm curious as to why? I just ask for the sake of arguing a little bit, I hope you don't mind
I don't mind at all, not a problem.

When I get going on a project like this - one which is very difficult for me to complete successfully - I get very focused and driven. I have to, otherwise, it doesn't work. In fact, I get so focused and driven that I get bullheaded and stubborn and blind to the obvious.

The only thing that can shake me out of this monomania is some hard, contrarian data. Most people, when asked if a man of my size could lose fat but not so much muscle on 2,000 calories a day, would reply no. But early on, I did just that. As time progressed though, I started to lose muscle mass and the data proved this to me conclusively. Had I not had that sort of information, I probably would have continued along that path until I wound up quitting from exhaustion and feeling like crap. It is far better to adjust than to quit. But in order to adjust, I need to be flexible. And when I am in this mindset, only blindingly obvious factual evidence can force me to be sensibly flexible.

In fact, I am making yet another adjustment to my diet. These new wallballing and farmer's thruster walks have really left me drained, and I am worried a little bit about overexercise and more about post-workout nutrition. So, in addition to my regular meal after exercising, I am adding a sweet potato and a tin of sardines packed in olive oil. The sweet potato will provide some quality carbohydrate in a high dose, and the sardines and oil in addition to my regular meal will add a nice jolt of protein, fat, and calcium. Together, the sweet potato and sardines should add around 400 calories to my diet, yielding 2,900 calories per day on workout days. I'll stick with 2,500 calories per day on rest days.

Quote:
Do you also measure each body part daily?
Nope. I'm not that obsessed and crazy I just measure that stuff once per week, and then I look at the two week rolling average. The bodyweight and body fat composition I measure daily. Takes about two minutes.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:44 AM   #219
Luke Seubert

Profile:

WOD - Medicine Ball Fun Day

Date: September 18, 2011

Conditions
  • Temperature: 60 F
  • Humidity: 81%
  • Heat Index: 60 F

Comments
I am cutting back on my warmup exercise. Given the soreness from yesterday's new Upper Body Medley, and my overall tiredness from the past two days, I think it wise to cut back on the quanitity of exercise.

I have also begun paying more attention to pre and post workout nutrition. I now eat a few hours before exercising instead of exercising on a fast, and I eat immediately after my workout. I also include a sweet potato and a tin of sardines with olive oil, in addition to my regular 500 calorie meal. This adds up to about 900 calories, and includes a large carbohydrate load. My hope is that the increased calories and carbohydrate load will reduce my feeling of lethargy.

Also, I am losing weight a little too fast - I am running in the mid 3's pounds of bodyweight lost per week. My preference is high 2's to low 3's. So the increased calories on workout days, combined with less exercise quantity, should decrease my rate of bodyweight loss. Hmm, methinks I came back from the Hurricane Irene layoff with a hard vengeance

Medicine Ball Medley went well. It has been a while since I last did this routine. I thought after all the wallballing I have been doing lately, that it would be significantly easier, but it wasn't. Towards the end, it was still a tough workout. That said, I was able to throw for more repetition and do so deeper into the routine than before, so I am getting fitter over time.

Tomorrow is rest day, and I am looking quite forward to it. My upper body is sore from the past two days, and I will use this time for (hopefully) full recovery. My new pre and post workout meals should also help with this.

Warmup - Took a short, unmeasured walk.

SMBM - Solo Medicine Ball Medley (WFS)
60 seconds per exercise - AMRAP. 10 second rest interval between exercises. 8 1/2 pound ball. Grassy slope.
  1. Standing Two-Arm Overhead Throw
  2. Two-Arm Overhead Throw with Shoulder Rotation - Alternating
  3. Ancient "Stone" Throw
  4. Ancient "Hammer" Throw
  5. Ancient "Log" Throw
  6. Trunk Twist Throw - Alternating
  7. Trunk Extend & Flex
  8. Trunk Rotations
  9. Lateral Lunges
  10. Standing Two-Arm Overhead Throw
  11. Ancient "Stone" Throw
  12. Overhead Orbits - Alternating
  13. Ancient "Hammer" Throw
  14. Ancient "Log" Throw

Last edited by Luke Seubert; 09-18-2011 at 08:46 AM.. Reason: Insert new paragraph
Old 09-18-2011, 02:07 PM   #220
Luke Seubert

Profile:

Shout Out To My Peeps!
This post is to acknowledge all the folks who have dropped in and posted on this Workout Log. My thanks go out to all of you for your support, encouragement, and most helpful advice. Your posts have helped me to persistently sustain my diet and exercise regimen for 20 weeks now. It has really made a big difference.

I would like to especially thank Arturo Garcia and Mara Rozitis for encouraging me so much back in the early days to exercise sooner than I otherwise would have. Arturo especially likes to challenge my assumptions, and force me to think things through, and change when needed. This is something that I need, and for which I am most appreciative.

Anyway, below are the folks who have posted here, and this is my acknowledgement and thanks to all of you.
  • Nik Nichols from Quinlan, TX, USA
    "Hi ya, Luke, Welcom to the logs. I will watch out for your posts. It will be intresting to see how you do. Looks like you are well on your way. I hope you stick to it and stay consistant with it."

• Brady Herrin from Royse City, TX, USA
    "Really interested to follow your progress. Definitely subscribing. Good luck, God bless!"

• Brady Herrin's Mom
    "I've already forwarded this to my dad to have him print out. My mom is morbidly obese and is becoming very sedentary. With one knee replaced and the other in need, she'll probably never be able to do much of a workout, but I'm trying like stink to get her to get on a rational diet.... I'll definitely keep up with your thread. Great work so far!"

• Arturo Garcia from Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
    "I'll keep checking here and give the "support" you're seeking for in any way I can. So far you seem to be doing GREAT. So please keep at it."

• Jason David from St Claire Shores, MI, USA
    "Hey Luke! I started at 40+ % bodyfat as well...stick with what you are doing and you'lyl be fine. CrossFit and the diet recommendation works. I've encountered just about every stumbling block a fatty can have. Let me know if you have any questions..."

• Dustin Standel from Groton, CT, USA
    "Thank you for your time and effort in this log."

• Mara Rozitis from Ste. Anne, MB, Canada
    "Thanks for sharing your journey here, Luke. It is certainly inspiring."

• Jay Rhodes from Stoney Creek, ON, Canada
    "Just had a quick look through your log. Great stuff man, I applaud you for creating change in your life.
    So far, it looks like everything is moving in the right direction brother! I look forward to keeping up with your progress."

• Xavier Berges from Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
    "After reading through you're thread this is really amazing and inspiring. Your level of dedication and meticulous planning is amazing. I really like reading through threads like these because it gives me a heap of motivation and makes me want to wish you to continue at your best and improve yourself. This is one of the things I like most about human beings and which I value the most. It is not where you are right now or have been in the past, but how where you plan to be in the future and what you're doing today to improve it. Thank you for the inspiration, I will definitively follow your thread and try to give the knowledge and motivation that I can!!"

• Vickie Ellickson from Spokane, WA, USA
    "Thanks for sharing your progress! I've been checking on your blog and have been really impressed by your statistical approach."

• Meghan Reid from Philadelphia, PA, USA
    "It's been enlightening and refreshing to read your log, Luke. I really admire your discipline in recording workouts and in getting through them on your own. I'm sure there are a million points during those long walks that you want to just stop and head home, but the fact that you don't is really admirable. Also, I'm really gunning for you to keep this up, because I think your log is already a fantastic resource for training someone who is REALLY out of shape."

Yo, Lurkers! Feel Free To Say, "Hi".
I get the feeling that this Workout Log has picked up some additional readers and maybe even subscribers. Please feel free to speak up and join the group by saying hello.

Inspirations - The Young, Skinny, Little Guy and the Tall, Middle-Aged, Fat Guy
Finally, I would like to share with everyone, two people who inspire me in my efforts. Jay Rhodes and Charles Barkley are my CrossFit inspirations, and what very different inspirations they are.

In terms of life experiences with fitness, I have nothing in common with Jay Rhodes. As a youth, he was athletic and played lots of sports. I was fat and haphazardly played very little sports. He was and is lean. I was always fat, even as a kid. I laugh when Jay shows a picture of himself with a tiny bit of tummy and calls it "Fat Jay" - he simply does not compare to the sort of rotund tummy I can put on display and call fat. And yet, I found his video, "My Journey Into CrossFit" (WFS), and his CrossFit Journal article, "Itís Not About the Numbers" (WFS), to be deeply inspirational. Why? Because, despite being fit and athletic all of his life, at least, compared to me; he still struggles and fails and falls short, just as I have. And yet, he also gets back up and struggles onward, just as I seek to do. No matter who we are or what our fitness history, we all of us must struggle and fight and strive in order to achieve excellence. It is just as hard for the very fit as it is for the very unfit.

My other inspiration is Charles Barkley, who recently took up CrossFit to get himself back into shape. Now I can really identify with Chuck. He is tall, I am tall. He is middle-aged, I am middle-aged. He is fat, I am fat. Our struggles are very similar. For example, I have mentioned my Tabata Kettlebell Hell workouts as being very tough. In this video clip (WFS), Charles has a great quote about kettlebells, "There are three things I never want to hear. Royal wedding... Charlie Sheen.... and kettlebell." But Charles doesn't just do pithy quotes, he also does real CrossFit workouts. And he really gets hammered by them too, as seen in this video, Kyri Harbrueger and Charles Barkley CrossFit Open WOD 11-5 at CrossFit North Atlanta (WFS). Finally, there is an extended interview with Charles, CrossFit Journal - "Sir Charles of CrossFit: Part 2" with Charles Barkley (NWFS), in which he has some great comments about athletes and arrogance.