CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 10-28-2015, 10:19 AM   #1
Keyla Ochoa

Profile:
member canceled because of intern coaching

I'm not sure this is the correct thread --

However, I recently had two members(husband/wife) cancel their agreements because they felt they weren't getting quality coaching. The coaching was done by my intern and usually during the morning classes. I know every box has different rules but I require any intern to gain at least 3 months of coaching hours before getting his/her L1.

My intern is planning on getting his L1 by the end of the year, and i'm training him how to coach small and large classes. Some days I let him open and coach so he can see it isn't always rainbows and sunshine. However, I'm always on hand in case I see he needs help.

The husband/wife are 'certified strength and conditioning coaches and dietitians' (who also sold/pushed Advo) and their reason for terminating is that they felt they shouldn't be coached by someone who isn't accredited.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? If so, any thoughts?
Old 10-28-2015, 11:51 AM   #2
Sean J Hunter

Profile:
Re: member canceled because of intern coaching

Are you asking weather they have breached their contract, by cancelling for this reason, or.....?

S
Old 10-28-2015, 02:27 PM   #3
Keyla Ochoa

Profile:

No, I know they breached their contract -- I won't try and keep them. I'm asking if anyone else has had a member cancel their contract because they weren't coached by a L1/L2/L3 coach?
Old 10-28-2015, 06:52 PM   #4
Sean J Hunter

Profile:

Did they raise their concern with you BEFORE quitting?

If they didn't then they either a) lack basic emotional intelligence or, b) and far more likely, they raised a false objection to get out of their contracts, or save face in some other way.

Either way, good riddance.

Has anyone else raised concerns about the newbies training? Have you asked?

Without knowing more details, I'd bet all the money in my pocket, with all the money in your pocket, that the couple concerned are just "long tailed spotted Douc*es", an unfortunately common critter found around CrossFit parts.

S

Last edited by Sean J Hunter; 10-28-2015 at 07:05 PM..
Old 10-29-2015, 12:55 AM   #5
Alex Burden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyla Ochoa View Post
I'm not sure this is the correct thread --

However, I recently had two members(husband/wife) cancel their agreements because they felt they weren't getting quality coaching. The coaching was done by my intern and usually during the morning classes. I know every box has different rules but I require any intern to gain at least 3 months of coaching hours before getting his/her L1.
3 months of experience in total or just at your box. I know that if I had someone trying to teach me something with in total only 3 months experience then I would blow them off, but this might be a person that has years of experience. I think is a little on your shoulders too. You need to match the customer with the coach so as not to have this sort of problem.

Quote:
My intern is planning on getting his L1 by the end of the year, and i'm training him how to coach small and large classes. Some days I let him open and coach so he can see it isn't always rainbows and sunshine. However, I'm always on hand in case I see he needs help.
Sounds to me as if this person is a real newbe.... everyone has to start somewhere but maybe this person should coach newer members. I know from experience that it takes time to learn to become a good coach and sometimes things just do not click between people.

Quote:
The husband/wife are 'certified strength and conditioning coaches and dietitians' (who also sold/pushed Advo) and their reason for terminating is that they felt they shouldn't be coached by someone who isn't accredited.
Maybe these two should have also made it clear what they wanted, just because someone is not accredited does not mean that person is no good.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:59 AM   #6
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

I would be pretty disappointed if I was spending the kind of money on a Crossfit membership only to have my class being taught by someone who really didn't know what they were talking about. There is a learning process that has to happen sure, but I would not want them leading a class.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:09 AM   #7
Keyla Ochoa

Profile:

EDIT: I had been the only trainer for the past year, after the other coach decided to pursue his PT degree. So said intern has been quite a bit of help even though I don't let him take the reigns completely.

Luke -- I think they raised false objectification because he doesn't have his L1. No other member has raised concern; in fact, they like him being around because it provides another set of eyes in case i'm busy coaching another athlete.

Alex -- He's been around the CrossFit world for about a year. However, his main focus is weightlifting; he's part of a weightlifting team from Corpus Christi, TX and recently qualified for the AO. I'd say he's very easily moldable and listens to what i'm telling him on how to coach my athletes. I also think they're leaving because we didn't want to be an ******** CrossFit box -- which seems to be the case with most local boxes here.

Luke -- I only started letting him take over the morning classes about a month ago. He would usually lead the 5 am and 5:30 pm classes then 'ghost coach' the remaining two PM classes. He'd take the 5 am MWF, which is when the couple decided to go.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:22 AM   #8
Keyla Ochoa

Profile:

EDIT: I had been the only trainer for the past year, after the other coach decided to pursue his PT degree. So said intern has been quite a bit of help even though I don't let him take the reigns completely.

Luke -- I think they raised false objectification because he doesn't have his L1. No other member has raised concern; in fact, they like him being around because it provides another set of eyes in case i'm busy coaching another athlete.

Alex -- He's been around the CrossFit world for about a year. However, his main focus is weightlifting; he's part of a weightlifting team from Corpus Christi, TX and recently qualified for the AO. I'd say he's very easily moldable and listens to what i'm telling him on how to coach my athletes. I also think they're leaving because we didn't want to be an ******** CrossFit box -- which seems to be the case with most local boxes here.

Luke -- I only started letting him take over the morning classes about a month ago. He would usually lead the 5 am and 5:30 pm classes then 'ghost coach' the remaining two PM classes. He'd take the 5 am MWF, which is when the couple decided to go.
Old 10-29-2015, 01:03 PM   #9
Alex Burden

Profile:

Quote:
EDIT:
Sounds like a person with more than enough experience on the liftning side of things these sort of people are hard to find. A year is a reasonable time to pick up ideas and learn the movements, it's always difficult to know what technique to use depending on who you are coaching.

I would get him to look at the course info for the L1 because he will pick up allot.

Now I am no L1 coach but I have 21 years of coaching experience , 5 years as an old school gym instructor, kids soccer for 7 yrs and karate for 9 years from kids from 5 to old goonies up to 60. It's not easy as you always have to be prepared but you need to learn your style. This is probably something he needs to work on because once he has this life becomes so much easier.

No matter what you say the customer is always right even if they are dick heads
!!!! Both of you can only do your best but make the most of his lifting and push that to the customers that this guy can really help them but also let them know he is not perfect at everything... Always best to come clean.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:55 PM   #10
Tom Brose

Profile:

As an affiliate, you are required to have an L1 coaching your classes I believe. If you were there supervising and letting them lead it may be a different issues, but you are not providing what is required of a CrossFit affiliate. I'm also guessing this is a huge insurance liability for you, and I'd advise you to end that right away.