CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-08-2009, 06:41 AM   #11
Brian Prochaska

Profile:
Thumbs up Re: Crossfit Stretching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Harrell View Post
WFS
http://www.drillsandskills.com/article/11

Article specifically to address this.
thanks for the link Roger. I skimmed it, but I'm at work and will have to read the whole thing tonight. This is from the link:

"Variety is also an important factor. Try not to get too routine about how you stretch. Vary which stretches you do and the order in which you do them. It is easy to fall into a repetitive pattern when stretching, but this will reduce the effectiveness of your stretching program."

I'm stuck in a stretching routine, I'm just not that creative I guess . And the routine gets shorter and shorter every workout

I like the range of responses to my post. Everything from don't stretch to stretch every workout. Dynamic stretching before, PNF after, etc.

I think this is why an outlined WOD would be great. Every day would be different and there would be some thought/creativity behind it. It would instill good habits or it would force you to do the unpleasant stretches that we all tend to avoid... just how CF forces non-runners to run and runners to lift heavy. If you don't like it, it probably means you need to do it more, right?

I do a lot of lifting and I've lost significant ROM in certain areas over the past few years since I've stopped kickboxing. And for you guys that "don't stretch" I recommend stepping into a yoga class once and being humbled. I can squat 425+lbs but sweat like a pig just trying to get into/hold warrior 1 position.

I'll keep thinking about this stretching WOD thing. Maybe we could just think of Stretch WOD's and post them to this thread?

alright, time for work and sitting at my desk all day shortening my achilles tendons and hip flexors...

later,
b
Old 06-08-2009, 09:37 AM   #12
Warren C Ellison

Profile:
Re: Crossfit Stretching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Júlíus Magnússon View Post
The Sampson stretch. It's part of the CF warm up.
Sweet...I already do that. Didn't know that's what it was stretching. Thanks.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:50 AM   #13
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Prochaska View Post
I do a lot of lifting and I've lost significant ROM in certain areas over the past few years since I've stopped kickboxing. And for you guys that "don't stretch" I recommend stepping into a yoga class once and being humbled. I can squat 425+lbs but sweat like a pig just trying to get into/hold warrior 1 position.
Did you have a standard stretching routine for kickboxing? If so, it wouldn't hurt to go through it once or twice a day. Yoga, dance, and martial arts beat pretty much anything else for flexibility, so you could do a lot worse than stealing from those disciplines.

Katherine
Old 06-11-2009, 06:11 PM   #14
Brian Prochaska

Profile:

My first stretching WOD:

3 rounds, 40sec of each:
-Left leg runner's stretch ankle flexed both hands on foot right leg bent and touching knee
-Rt leg runner's stretch
-"Up-dog" only tops of toes and hands touching ground, fingers pointing at toes
-Straddle Split, toes pointed, hands on ground fingers pointed forward

Felt good after today's WOD, wrists needed the stretch.

later,
b
Old 06-12-2009, 09:19 AM   #15
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Brian,

This is pretty cool...there may be some merit to a post-workout stretch/dynamic stretch/pre-hab routine that not only promotes flexibility, but strength through ROMs that we don't use much.

Things like Bridges/Bridge Wall Walks/Bridge Push-Ups come to mind or Back Extensions...or those lower back raises where you support your upper body on a bench and then raise your legs up to parallel. In addition to the stretching, maybe mix some of these exercises in as well.

Of course the dynamic stuff wouldn't be another workout, so 1 or 2x10 at a nice cool down pace might be good.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:26 AM   #16
Brian Prochaska

Profile:

Exactly what I had in mind. I'll probably just try to come up with short routines that I'll do at home after finishing the mainsite WOD. I was actually going to do some Bridges for tomorrow's StrWOD.

I'm hoping the people "in the know" from different diciplines will eventually contribute by posting their WOD's, stretches, or advice.

One thing I'm not sure about is how to track progress. CF is fun partly because of the metrics and being able to set new PR's.

Rest day Stretching WOD:
Yoga/Dance/Martial Arts 30-60min.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:17 PM   #17
Ryan Lynch

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Prochaska View Post
I think this is why an outlined WOD would be great. Every day would be different and there would be some thought/creativity behind it. It would instill good habits or it would force you to do the unpleasant stretches that we all tend to avoid... just how CF forces non-runners to run and runners to lift heavy. If you don't like it, it probably means you need to do it more, right?
Love this idea...

-Ryan
Old 06-12-2009, 01:49 PM   #18
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Yeah, well, speaking of people in the know from other disciplines, Coach Sommer (wfs) www.gymnasticbodies.com often includes some decent pre-hab/joint strengthening exercises post-WOD for his WOD's.

Meshing his stuff would look like:

Stretching WOD 1:
2x10 Bridge Wall Walks (rest 2-3 mins between sets)

Stretching WOD 2:
2 Rounds
3 Jefferson Curl
Seated Pike Hold
Seated Straddle Hold
Left leg pass Hold
Right leg pass Hold

Stretching WOD 3:
2 rounds
10 Shoulder Dislocates (beginner's use broomstick or PVC, advanced use 15-33# bar)
10 Good Mornings (beginner's use broomstick or PVC, advanced use up to 25% BW)

Last edited by Aushion Chatman; 06-12-2009 at 01:59 PM.. Reason: Added WOD examples
Old 06-13-2009, 02:03 AM   #19
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Pretty cool. You have to dig around, but Coach Sommer has let on a lot more tidbits on the forum than just the daily posted WOD mobility of bridge wall walks, the wrist mobility set, jefferson curls, weighted pike stretch, and wall slides. Especially on frequency of time per exercise, per week, etc.

Look into the Diesel Crew shoulder stuff or Eric Cressey stuff or what is in Brandon Oto's hybrid programming ( and not just because the basic routine is what I use for beginner's ).

Currently for one of my guy's with poor shoulder flexion, I assign him...some shoulder dislocates to loosen up, cuban presses with 3lb DB or 1.5-2lb ankle weights held in hand ( typically 5 ), and 5 wall slides focusing on 10s up and 10 down. 2 rounds. Only one set of shoulder dislocates/inlocates or figure 8's. Finished off with bridge stretch ( with feet raised on height to focus on shoulder stretch ).

He does this typically in addition to whatever we flexibility we do at the end because his shoulder flexibility sucks that much.

We also do Straddle L work at the end and I do as well. Sometimes, when my abs are fried, this can suck but it's not that bad.

If you were to randomize it like a WOD, I'd pick one or two areas, maybe 3. For CF'ers: hip flexors/lower back, shoulders, splits flexibility ( not necessarily splits but straddle and lunge flexibility ), and ankles and wrists.

Or you could include a foam roll series. I've been thinking about trying this with the boys if I order a lot of 6 foot foam rollers and cut them in half.
Old 06-13-2009, 03:47 PM   #20
Brian Prochaska

Profile:

WOD:
4 rounds:
30 sec intervals of
Glute/Hip - Left Knee to Right chest (aka pigeon stretch, advanced: grab back leg)
Glute/Hip - Right Knee to Left chest
Bridge hold

Thanks for all the replies guys. Looks like I have some research to do.