CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 01-18-2008, 09:19 PM   #1
James Kitcher Jr.

Profile:
Thumbs down Does Exercise Really Keep Us Healthy?

Anyone else read this article of the same name as this post by Gina Kolata in the New York Times?

Family and Work Safe:

Does Exercise Really Keep Us Healthy?

While I get her point about diet playing the larger part in weight loss -- the rest of it pretty much befuddles me, especially the part about exercise not playing a role in increasing bone strength / staving off osteoporosis. I'm studying for my CSCS and without going back to the "Essentials" text right now, I'm pretty certain I read pretty much the opposite there and that the text cited scholarly research. On top of that, she's citing "the science" to back up her claims but what science?

Anyways, all I can think of is all of those couch potatoes out there who skimmed this and went "Hunh - I guess it's ok if I just sit here watching the toob."

Oy.

What do you all think about it?
Old 01-18-2008, 09:26 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Does Exercise Really Keep Us Healthy?

Stuff like this has come out all over the place.

I just ignore it because if you're still eating crap and exercising you're most likely going to have crappy health still. Diet is really key.. and exercise will help but if the diet is too **** poor then it won't help much if at all.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:52 PM   #3
Darren Zega

Profile:  
Re: Does Exercise Really Keep Us Healthy?

Also, remember a lot of these studies are done, on average, with participants that have a lifestyle that is so morbidly unhealthy that the results are greatly different than for someone with even a remotely healthy lifestyle.

I could take obese, diabetic participants and seasoned CFers, do the same tests, and have two completely different conclusions. So take it all with about 40lbs of salt, and then do what works for you.