CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 07-12-2009, 12:32 PM   #1
Scot Heyes

Profile:
CrossFit Games v's Regional/State Games?

Hi All,

This years games coverage is fantastic and really motivating. The standard of conditioning these guys are at, is incredible! The games have prompted me to look at other oppertunities for other competitive organised games events, but for more local affiliates to compete in.

Unfortunately not everyone who would like to can make the trip to the States to compete, to watch or even to volunteer and help. As I live in Northern Ireland it would be good to have a UK and Ireland Event or even a European event for European Affiliates? Making it more affordable and practical to attend a CrossFit event similar to that of the Games?

Cheers Guys heres to the 2010 European, UK and Ireland Games, US State? Just a thought and putting it out there for feedback or to see if there is any interest?
Old 07-12-2009, 08:49 PM   #2
Sean Smith

Profile:
Re: CrossFit Games v's Regional/State Games?

Eventually the qualifiers will encompass a smaller region. I think next year that there will be more qualifiers with fewer competitors from the regions.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:01 AM   #3
Chris Kemp

Profile:

Scot - the European Qualifier was held in Northern Ireland. Can't get much closer to home for you!

Cheers, kempie
Old 07-13-2009, 12:09 PM   #4
Scot Heyes

Profile:

Hi

I know the qualifier was in Lurgan (Elite 400 CrossFit NI) but it was the "qualifier" for the Games. My thoughts were that there could be a CrossFit Commonwealth Event? That had it's own Commonwealth Winner?

Maybe the Games Qualifiers are enough, or would 2 competitive events in year be to much?

Again only a thought!
Old 07-14-2009, 03:04 AM   #5
Scott Jenkins

Profile:

Hi Scot,

If you have no intention to go to the games I am sure you can still go and compete in the European Qualifier and just treat that as your final. It would be no different to a European event, it just has the bonus of getting you into next years games.
Fran 3:19. Diane 2:49. Elizabeth 5:48. Cindy 26+21. Helen 7:50. JT 7:03. Grace 1.56
www.crossfitblackwater.com
Old 07-14-2009, 05:54 AM   #6
Ed Flood

Profile:

Colm held a "mini games" for charity down in Dublin a while back http://crossfit.ie/2009/04/23/thur-apr-23rd/ WFS. There's another one planned in the near future if that's the sort of thing you were looking for. The last one was a good laugh and there will most likely be a spot of light alcohol-fuelled misbehaviour to follow.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:19 AM   #7
Scott Jenkins

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Flood View Post
Colm held a "mini games" for charity down in Dublin a while back http://crossfit.ie/2009/04/23/thur-apr-23rd/ WFS. There's another one planned in the near future if that's the sort of thing you were looking for. The last one was a good laugh and there will most likely be a spot of light alcohol-fuelled misbehaviour to follow.
Hello Ed,

Hope all is good. I have been wanting to visit Dublin for a while and if your doing a "mini games" I have the perfect excuse, especially with the added incentive of alcohol and misbehaviour. Let me know what date your planning doing this as I would be very keen to join in the fun.
Fran 3:19. Diane 2:49. Elizabeth 5:48. Cindy 26+21. Helen 7:50. JT 7:03. Grace 1.56
www.crossfitblackwater.com
Old 07-14-2009, 10:14 AM   #8
Ed Flood

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Jenkins View Post
Hello Ed,

Hope all is good. I have been wanting to visit Dublin for a while and if your doing a "mini games" I have the perfect excuse, especially with the added incentive of alcohol and misbehaviour. Let me know what date your planning doing this as I would be very keen to join in the fun.
Hi Scott,

All is well on this end. I think Colm's organising the next one on September 27 according to this wfs post. I'm not sure if that's finalised yet, maybe Colm will clarify. If you're having trouble convincing the Missus, tell her it's all for charity! Also, we need someone to challenge Will! Hope the training and everything else is going well.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:50 AM   #9
Scot Heyes

Profile:

A"mini games" is exactly what I was trying to get across. It's good to know that there is something being organised nearby. I would also like to be kept up to date on dates and how or if I can be of any help?

Are the guys in Lurgan (Elite 400) aware of these mini games? I am down there tomorrow morning and can let them know if they don't know already. They do have a Level 1 Cert on the 26th and 27th September, which I am signed up for, so if it is outside of those dates it should be good!!!

Cheers Ed!

Scot (N Ireland)
Old 07-14-2009, 03:36 PM   #10
Ed Flood

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot Heyes View Post
A"mini games" is exactly what I was trying to get across. It's good to know that there is something being organised nearby. I would also like to be kept up to date on dates and how or if I can be of any help?

Are the guys in Lurgan (Elite 400) aware of these mini games? I am down there tomorrow morning and can let them know if they don't know already. They do have a Level 1 Cert on the 26th and 27th September, which I am signed up for, so if it is outside of those dates it should be good!!!

Cheers Ed!

Scot (N Ireland)
Good stuff! Well I think the idea originated from a rivalry between two of the lads training at CF Ireland. At first it was just going to be a showdown between the two, "The Deathmatch". At some point someone said "feck it" and turned it into a "fitness invitational" and decided to invite a bunch of of people from outside crossfit and some crossfitters that didn't train at the affiliate. Here's a pic of the trophywfs in all it's awesomeness.
I have no idea if Helen and Johnny are planning anything like it, I think there was a north vs south deathmatch there a while back.

Last edited by Ed Flood : 07-14-2009 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Posted before finished typing (that's what she said).