CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-25-2007, 12:39 PM   #1
Chris Henderson

Profile:
Rings vs. TRX suspension

Anyone have an opinion on if I should go with Rings or the TRX suspension system http://www.fitnessanywhere.com (WFS).

I'm looking for versatility and portability.

Any experience with both would be very helpful.
Old 12-25-2007, 12:53 PM   #2
David Aguasca

Profile:
Re: Rings vs. TRX suspension

rings.

and i'm pretty sure almost everyone who responds to this thread will say the same thing.
Old 12-25-2007, 01:55 PM   #3
Anthony Militello

Profile:

I'll have to second the rings as well...
Old 12-25-2007, 02:43 PM   #4
Aaron Trent

Profile:

Rings!

I'm not sure how well the TRX will work for pullups which is my major use for them. The strength and balance in trying some gymnastics moves is fun and challenging and pretty much endless.
Old 12-25-2007, 03:25 PM   #5
Ahmik Jones

Profile:

Definitely rings.

The TRX suspension system is way overpriced and almost completely worthless. TRX has eliminated the main reason that rings are useful, being on top of them, by using a single point suspension. The suspension system is well made, their website is flashy, and they have decent marketing, but the product is mostly useful for simulating body building exercises, rather than doing true functional movements. You could also make something like this yourself for about $20 from parts from Home Depot and REI. It would not look as nice, but would work just as well.

Rings are versatile and portable. So is the TRX system, but since the majority of the exercises are a complete waste of time, there is no reason to spend your time doing any of them.

Rings on the other hand, are the single greatest tool ever made for developing upper body strength. Get some rings and then buy the CrossFit Journal issues with articles on ring exercises by Roger Harrell.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:00 AM   #6
Samuel Redwine

Profile:

I have a TRX, which I have had for almost 7 months. It is a good piece of equipment. It's well made, adds some extra challenge with the avoidance of saw, has a door anchor, works well in avoiding my shoulder injury (something I couldn't say for rings), allows me to do upper and lower body work with comfortable foot cradles. I have it, use it, like it and wonder how many of the condemning voices here have ever tried one. Don't let the names of the exercises fool you, you play with your foot positions and your core has stabilize you doing curls.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:15 PM   #7
Robert Pagliaro

Profile:

I am with Samuel. I have and use both while getting great flexibility as unique tools. There are definitely moves that you need the rings but I find the TRX invaluable fo those not ready to go solely on rings or as a complement in my workouts.

For example, I don't great space to HSPU however I can do suspended HSPU with the TRX and it works excellent.

If anybody is in the Chicago area and wants to try them drop me a line.

rp
Old 01-29-2008, 02:30 PM   #8
Victor Putz

Profile:

To be fair to the last two posters, I have not tried the TRX in any way. However, since the cheapest TRX kit costs over twice as much as a great pair of rings, I'd stick with the rings. I think if they were comparably priced, or if the TRX was even lower cost, it might be worth taking more seriously; I don't think it's necessarily a horrible device, but I feel like rings are as versatile, more recognized/bigger "community" worldwide, and much lower cost.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:33 PM   #9
Robert Pagliaro

Profile:

I also echo the sentiments regarding cost. If you have extra money to get a TRX use it as an additional tool.

For what it is worth, I get a lot more use of the TRX with my newer clients and progress them to the rings. For progressions sake I find them invaluable.

rp
Old 01-29-2008, 03:04 PM   #10
Steven Low

Profile:

rings.

someone said you can be not ready for rings? that's just wrong. rings all the way. if you need progressions we can provide them.