CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 07-09-2012, 03:22 PM   #1
Billy Farah

Profile:
Non-L1 Coaches

Disclaimer: I'm not an affiliate owner just an athlete.

Does HQ care if a box doesn't have a single L1 coach teaching classes? If they do, what are the repercussions?

Thanks!
Old 07-09-2012, 03:42 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Non-L1 Coaches

Um, yes. For legal reasons all coaches have to be L1-certified. I think it's ok for a non-certified "apprentice" trainer to do coaching under the direct supervision of a certified L1, but there has to be someone there with a certification. That's part of the requirement in addition to paying the affiliation fee. I haven't read the affiliation contract, but I'm pretty sure a gym could lose its affiliation status for something like that.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #3
Billy Farah

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Um, yes. For legal reasons all coaches have to be L1-certified. I think it's ok for a non-certified "apprentice" trainer to do coaching under the direct supervision of a certified L1, but there has to be someone there with a certification. That's part of the requirement in addition to paying the affiliation fee. I haven't read the affiliation contract, but I'm pretty sure a gym could lose its affiliation status for something like that.
Thanks for the response Eric! It's unfortunate but there is a gym I know of where the owner is the only L1 cert and he's never around. He's got a couple of kids coaching who I don't think hold any kind of fitness certs especially not an L1. I consider it very dangerous because his programming is about 50% hero WODs and doesn't follow any kind of theory or reasoning.

Billy
Old 07-09-2012, 05:15 PM   #4
Sean Dunston

Profile:

As part of the affiliate contract, i think you are also required to post the L1 certificates of your trainers at the gym.
Have you asked the various trainers or the owner about the trainer's qualifications and the overall programming?
Old 07-11-2012, 02:04 PM   #5
David Wisniewski

Profile:  

Not only does HQ require it, but I'm going to guess that your liability insurance policy requires it. Hopefully, you didn't void your policy.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:07 AM   #6
Erik Glynn

Profile:

We occasionally we'll hold specialty classes for our members where they learn a specific skill from a collegiate athlete who we invite in.

I have been a rower for the past 4 years and will coach a class on rowing, we'll bring in a gymnast to teach some basics, etc....

But, when it comes to to day-to-day coaching, that is all done by our L1 trainers only.