CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-02-2008, 03:15 PM   #1
Margie Simenstad

Profile:
Being a good guest on the Zone

I've been CFing for about a year, on Zone for about a month. It was only when I started changing my diet that I started feeling stronger, fitter, and better. As someone with a major sugar addiction this has been huge for me but I'm seeing results and am vowing to stick it out.

So, in my detox from sugar I've found that eating sugar now (I've tried a couple of times) actually makes me feel horrible! My dilemma is when we go out to friends' house, or they come over, invariably dessert (or other bad stuff that doesn't appeal to me right now) is served and I WANT to say no, but don't want to hurt any feelings, seem rude, etc.

Any tips for how to bow out of the bad stuff and still be polite?
Old 06-02-2008, 04:01 PM   #2
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:
Re: Being a good guest on the Zone

Margie, as someone who's lost over 90 pounds, I understand completely. I have a lot of experience navigating these waters, and here's what I've found: most people who aren't related to you don't give a hoot about what you are eating. "Just tea (or coffee), please" should suffice when offered desserts. If anyone presses you, just say firmly, "No, thank you." If pressed again, "It looks lovely, but doctor's orders say no sugar for awhile."

Family's another story. Food can be so tied up with love and such that refusing Aunt Martha's devil's food cake can become tantamount to rejecting Aunt Martha.

In those cases, I find the best course of action to accept a tiny piece, then poke a fork into it, get the conversation started, and push the plate away. Once you've accepted the offering (love) most people stop paying attention.

LOL...it's so bad in my family, that one time my hubby and I went with my parents for pizza. Ordinarily, I eat a big salad and one or two slices of veggie pizza with half-the-cheese, but this time, after a long stretch of restraint, I ate 3 regular slices of pizza.

Now I am in my fifties, and my parents starting saying how good it was to see me eating pizza, and they recited exactly what I ate on the prior 3 or 4 times we'd been together. "Susie, you only ate the veggies, the salad, and one little piece of chicken, no rolls, no rice, no dessert!" I was astonished that anyone would notice and remember what it was I had chosen to eat weeks earlier. It floored me.

Sheesh.

So unless you are my long-lost sister and we have the same parents, you should be ok with the responses above.

Susie
Old 06-02-2008, 04:25 PM   #3
Brett Dartt

Profile:

"no thank you"

now if i can just tell myself no thank you when i am alone, then i will be going places
Old 06-02-2008, 04:28 PM   #4
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Rosenberg View Post

So unless you are my long-lost sister and we have the same parents, you should be ok with the responses above.

Susie
Margie;

Jump on the Long - Lost sister offer. I've been trying to get Susie to adopt me for months, some issue with her husband, but man, you'd be set, though you might have to give up California for Albany a few months out of the year.

We' re talking great cooking, CF affiliate, great Winters, the list goes on and on. If you consider this great offer from Susie, I guess I could be your long lost brother. The possibilities are endless.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:58 PM   #5
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:

Jay, you made me laugh! Thank you...

Susie
Old 06-02-2008, 09:30 PM   #6
Margie Simenstad

Profile:

Susie--great response, and thanks for the tips. Saying "No thanks" should be easy but often isn't--I've got some bad habits to break (built up over a lifetime of food=love, reward, and so on). And it sounds like we have--if not the same parents, at least very similar. I will do my best not to do to my own daughters in 30 years time!. I'm going to try your put-fork-in-it strategy next time!
Old 06-02-2008, 10:03 PM   #7
Oliver Gould

Profile:

If it makes you feel sick it's one thing (maybe try some of the dessert instead of eating a lot of it), but I firmly believe it's important to indulge in the family traditions (which may involve "unhealthy" foods) when one is around family. What's important is that you eat healthy the vast majority of the time, it's the lifestyle of riding the insulin roller coaster that's so destructive.

I'd seriously reconsider my lifestyle if I found myself feeling guilty or worried over what I was eating when I see my folks, at a BBQ with friends or spending a weekend on the trails. Don't agonize over a couple of big meals shared with those close to you. Food often IS about love, reward, and celebration. There's no reason to deny that aspect of it. I think a lot of Crossfitters get into the Zone mindset of food as fuel, food as a hormone regulator, and lose sight of a great pleasure in life. Yes, there might be a tiny (almost undetectable) bump in your performance gain or weight loss, but this IS a lifestyle. You're in this for the long haul, if you're serious about your health you plan to eat and exercise this way for much of your life. Unless you're going to step into a cage or onto the battlefield in the next few months, enjoy indulgence once in a while, because it's part of being alive.

Don't reject Aunt Martha's devil's food cake!
Old 06-03-2008, 12:01 AM   #8
Jaime Steele

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Gould View Post
If it makes you feel sick it's one thing (maybe try some of the dessert instead of eating a lot of it), but I firmly believe it's important to indulge in the family traditions (which may involve "unhealthy" foods) when one is around family. What's important is that you eat healthy the vast majority of the time, it's the lifestyle of riding the insulin roller coaster that's so destructive.

I'd seriously reconsider my lifestyle if I found myself feeling guilty or worried over what I was eating when I see my folks, at a BBQ with friends or spending a weekend on the trails. Don't agonize over a couple of big meals shared with those close to you. Food often IS about love, reward, and celebration. There's no reason to deny that aspect of it. I think a lot of Crossfitters get into the Zone mindset of food as fuel, food as a hormone regulator, and lose sight of a great pleasure in life. Yes, there might be a tiny (almost undetectable) bump in your performance gain or weight loss, but this IS a lifestyle. You're in this for the long haul, if you're serious about your health you plan to eat and exercise this way for much of your life. Unless you're going to step into a cage or onto the battlefield in the next few months, enjoy indulgence once in a while, because it's part of being alive.

Don't reject Aunt Martha's devil's food cake!
Oliver you couldn't have said it better.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:59 AM   #9
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:

Margie,
The easy response is that "That looks terrific, but sugar has been making me sick lately so I am not going to have any". Seems pretty simple to me.

As far as occasionally eating with family, or even desert once in a while (as long as it is not making you sick) the problem is not the once a week reasonable indulgence. The problem is getting into the habit!
Old 06-03-2008, 07:41 AM   #10
Timothy Ratte

Profile:

This works for me:

"Dessert? Oh, I couldn't possibly! Dinner was so wonderful I'm stuffed!"