CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 05-01-2008, 06:26 PM   #1
Bryan Gates

Profile:
Form Check Squats Press Dips and Cleans

Please take a look at this video and critique my form. Its about 15MB.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...00593035&hl=enWFS??

Description:
225x5 squats - I think I lean forward too much. Athletic Stance Rippetoe style. It looks like I have a little bit of a tuck too, but my hamstrings seem to stay tight.
125x5 Press - I bump my chin on the last rep and it throws it out of line.
BW+40 Dips - nothing special
Various Cleans at 135/150 - I think I squat down a bit too far on my power cleans from the power position and consequently put my shoulders behind the bar. The hang cleans also show my deadlift form.

Thanks!

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 06-03-2008 at 05:04 AM.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:50 PM   #2
Steven Quadros

Profile:
Re: Form Check Squats Press Dips and Cleans

Squat-

1. You aren't going below parallel, the crease of the hip needs to be below the knee; you're quite a bit off.

2. Your knees seem to move forward for the entire descent; you need to sit back, really sit back, to the point where it almost feels uncomfortable. This will help to fix the knee position issue, as will pushing your knees outwards and tracking over your feet.

3. You're definitely losing your lumbar curve at the bottom, which isn't a good sign as you're also not hitting correct depth. Sitting back will help with this, as will squatting in general, but some dedicated hamstring stretches will also help.

4. I can't see your head, but I could guess that it probably isn't looking down, which will help with a lot. Try taking the video from a different angle; Leonid Subbotine (forgive me if I have misspelled the name) has a video on youtube that should pop up if you search for his name with not only a great angle, but also a fantastic squat, near picture perfect.

It seems as if you can handle 225 easily right now, though it might behoove you to lower the weight while working on hitting depth and sitting back, as well as developing hip drive, something you don't seem to demonstrate as of yet.

Go to Rippetoe's forum on ************ and watch every single video, then read every single thread, all 30 odd pages of it. It is well worth it.

Press

The video would benefit from a side view, mostly for bar path purposes. Overall it looks okay, though it seems as if you might be moving the bar backwards a bit much at the top of the movement instead of getting under it.

Perhaps a little more backward lean would help with the bar path, though the angle makes it harder to tell. I can tell you that backward lean may feel like a ton yet, when one looks in the mirror, is a lot less than originally thought. Look in SS for guidelines on what makes backward lean too much.

I'll leave the cleans to someone more experienced with them, as I only do Powercleans according to the program described in SS.

I can tell you that you're setting up with your shoulders behind the bar, therefore pulling from a bad position, as well as jumping forward on a lot of the reps. Bar path could be a little better, and on the full cleans you are doing a powerclean followed by a front squat, and not hitting depth on the squat.

Someone will be able to give you better advice on the cleans than I, however.

Thanks for posting the video, and good luck with your lifts.
Old 05-03-2008, 02:47 AM   #3
Jesse Dahl

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Quadros View Post
Squat-

Go to Rippetoe's forum on ************ and watch every single video, then read every single thread, all 30 odd pages of it. It is well worth it.
I did the exact same thing, fixed my form pretty well. There is now a sticky with the form checks compiled in one thread.

http://************.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1334
Old 05-04-2008, 09:40 AM   #4
Bryan Gates

Profile:

Thanks for the replies! I appreciate your input.

OK round 2 for the squats. I got a second angle as well. 185x5 form the side and 225x5 from front-left angle. The main difference is concentrating on pushing my knees out at the bottom to recruit the hams and adductors more. I had been neglecting this and am now quite sore in the adductors... also the glutes oddly enough too.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...86579071&hl=en

1. It looks like depth has improved, but is still not quite there.

2. I dont think I fixed the knees continuing to move forward throughout descent problem. I tried to sit back as far as I could but I must be going about it the wrong way.

3. It seems I am losing lumbar curve in an odd way. Most, due to hamstring tightness, get their hips pulled forward. I seem to be increasing the low back arch, thus bringing my hips away, at the bottom perhaps trying to increase tightness in my hams or trying to maintain tightness longer to get more power. Either way it seems dangerous and I tried to work on it but I can still see it happening.

4. Head position should not be an issue. I focus on a spot on the floor approx. 8ft away. I dont think I understand what hip drive is or how to do it.

I know about ************ and the work that Rippetoe does there. I have been watching all the videos I can, but I guess I just dont have the eye for it.

As for the press, I will try to get a side shot sometime for bar path. However for me it seems easy to determine if bar path is okay with a heavy enough weight because a slight movement out of line makes it much harder to press or even hold in place.

As for the hang cleans, I did some work with trying to keep the bar behind my shoulders in the power position, but did not get video of it. The cleans well... I need a bit more control of the bar because I tend to put too much power into and bring the bar too high for a real clean. It seems like the top curve of the "S" is a little more pronounced than it should be. I think that has to do with my tendency to start the pull too low with my shoulders behind the bar.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:47 PM   #5
Bryan Gates

Profile:

Okay I have been working on my squat form some more. In the first vid I know the 5th rep was bad due to knees forward at the bottom. I seem to have gotten depth conquered but I am starting to a butt wink now.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...25267642876809

The second video I tried to go heavy again and eliminate butt wink. I also tried to bring my knees forward earlier with a simultaneous knee/hip break and stopping them earlier. Also... dont mind the girly grunt I do out of the hole on the 5th rep. Depth seems borderline.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...96882048836048

Also it was a light squat day (I am doing a bill starr intermediate right now) and I think I found hip drive for the first time. Everything was tight and I had a rebound out of the bottom that made the rep almost seem effortless. It was almost like it was automatically happening for me.

Let me know if I am going in the right direction please! Thanks for your help!
Old 05-15-2008, 10:08 PM   #6
Daniel Ricksecker

Profile:

If you're trying to do ATG squats, you should try breaking at the knees before sitting back. I'm not a squat expert by any means, but when I switched from doing powerlifting version of squats to the narrower olympic style, I did the same thing. I kept trying to sit back and then down, but your supposed to sit straight down. Try that and see if it helps, also maybe some olympic shoes will help. I have poor ankle flexibility and they have helped me get a decent bit lower in the hole.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:47 PM   #7
Robert Callahan

Profile:

I think your looking pretty good The heavier video you started to lose your depth as you got more fatiuged but such is life You end up cutting it at just parrallel instead of getting bellow, just keep it in mind and try to work on it and you will be fine. Oh and do not worry to much about the butt wink, it is not causing a significant amount of loss of curvature in your back and will work itself out eventually due to the stretch it puts on hamstrings, it isnt something to obsesse about, getting full depth is more important.

-Robert
Old 05-16-2008, 04:35 PM   #8
Michael Drew

Profile:

Those looked like modified good mornings. You should be sitting way back. Your bending over at the waist before you even bend your knees. If you tried to front squat like that you would drop the weight.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:41 PM   #9
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Drew View Post
If you tried to front squat like that you would drop the weight.
That is why the front squat has a completely different anatomy than the low bar back squat.

I think your back looks fine and is what is recomended by Rip in SS.

The front squat forces a more vertical back angle and more foward knees which removes the hamstring and adductors from the rebound out of the bottom, which is why it is a different exercise and should not be used as a template to judge back squat.