CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 12-22-2008, 08:35 PM   #1
Andrew Chong

Profile:
A question regarding the CrossFit workout template and WOD with another question rega

The question i have is if, on single-element days, can i do a workout like 'Cindy'? Is the number of elements or type of element more important?(in 'Cindy' all the elements are G). On the workout template it seems that the number of elements coincide with the type of element. i.e on a three element day, one of the workouts consists of WM and G.

Thus, would it mean structuring a workout pattern based on type of elements or number of elements? It does mention that single element days for G, for example, should be focussed on a highly complex skill. However, i am unsure as to which is of higher priority- the number of elements or the type of elements; regardless of how many there are? (if the type of elements are more important, then would it would mean that the workout posted on December 19 2008, Friday 081219, which consists of 7Gs and 3Ws is actually a two-element day, considering that only two types of elements are in use?)

Another question i have is if, for example, i practice kipping after a workout, should i still do kipping as part of the next day's workout if kipping so happens to be posted as part of the WOD for that day?

(I apologise for the long post and title; but i can't quite come up with something shorter. Also, thanks to Ms. Kelly Moore for directing me to the message board)

Last edited by Andrew Chong : 12-22-2008 at 08:36 PM. Reason: punctuation error
Old 12-22-2008, 09:35 PM   #2
Noah Martin

Profile:
Re: A question regarding the CrossFit workout template and WOD with another question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Chong View Post
The question i have is if, on single-element days, can i do a workout like 'Cindy'? Is the number of elements or type of element more important?(in 'Cindy' all the elements are G). On the workout template it seems that the number of elements coincide with the type of element. i.e on a three element day, one of the workouts consists of WM and G.

Thus, would it mean structuring a workout pattern based on type of elements or number of elements? It does mention that single element days for G, for example, should be focussed on a highly complex skill. However, i am unsure as to which is of higher priority- the number of elements or the type of elements; regardless of how many there are? (if the type of elements are more important, then would it would mean that the workout posted on December 19 2008, Friday 081219, which consists of 7Gs and 3Ws is actually a two-element day, considering that only two types of elements are in use?)

Another question i have is if, for example, i practice kipping after a workout, should i still do kipping as part of the next day's workout if kipping so happens to be posted as part of the WOD for that day?

(I apologise for the long post and title; but i can't quite come up with something shorter. Also, thanks to Ms. Kelly Moore for directing me to the message board)
Old 12-22-2008, 11:02 PM   #3
Mike Neill

Profile:
Re: A question regarding the CrossFit workout template and WOD with another question

thought better of it...

Last edited by Mike Neill : 12-22-2008 at 11:14 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:59 PM   #4
Pete Nadeau

Profile:

WTF-Donít make it complicated you are putting to much thought in to it. Just do the WOD or donít do the WOD
Old 12-23-2008, 06:11 AM   #5
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Andrew,
I'll take a shot at it. Generally in single element days the idea is to develop that element, i.e. a ME day, or a 5K, or one pullup on the minute.

Generally the multi element days are to develop overall capacity, and metabolic conditioning.

If you are programming for yourself, using the THEORETICAL template, decide if you are developing a specific element that day or capacity and program accordingly. In regard to kipping pull ups, yes you can practice kipping on one day and kip the next in the WOD.

If you're fairly new, it may be better to let Crossfit do your programming and just do the WOD.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:18 AM   #6
Steven Bowser

Profile:

very well put.
and also keep reading and reading and reading.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:34 AM   #7
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Look at Table 3 & 4 of the programing article for examples and clarification. Cindy is a met-con (M) comprised of three body weight movements.

General rule is if it is timed it is a met-con. Lynne is the only Girl or Hero WOD that is not a met-con.

Table 3 is very important to understand. Pay attention to Structure (intensity) and Work recovery Character.