CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 05-13-2009, 12:56 PM   #1
Jesse Richards

Profile:
Jesse's Test Preparation

Hey all, I started doing crossfit back in january between semesters, and for the most part have kept it in my schedule during the spring semester. I'm a first year law student at the University of Oklahoma. School's kept me busy and stressed the past few months, and seeing as I have a black belt test coming up this fall, I'm devoting this summer to getting in better shape so that I'll be able to make it through. I've been doing crossfit three to four days a week and then doing karate class twice a week, and a home class that I teach on sundays, so I've been busy, but I really want to focus on improving my GPP so I'm starting back up on the zone (which I did for a few weeks and loved, but then school got too hectic for me to keep it up). Let's see, a few stats to start with, and then I'll be posting workouts as I do them. I'm still trying to get my form down on a lot of the lifts, and I've found that videotaping myself has helped, but I'm not always sure if I'm doing it right. Alrighty, enough rambling for now.

Me: I'm a 5'11/237 pound 23 year old who never did any sports other than competitive shooting before I got to college, which was when I started doing martial arts. I've kept with it for just over four years, but I didn't really start thinking about doing other things to keep in shape until this spring. I've loved crossfit since I started doing it, though a lot of the time I really hate some of the workouts while I'm doing them! Go figure...

Some Benchmarks:

Deadlift: 325
Back Squat: 240
Shoulder Press: 125
Push Press: 155
Bench Press: 225 (probably more now? Haven't benched in a while, hasn't been in any WODs)
Max Deadhang Pullups: 2 (my biggest frustration since starting Crossfit)
Power Clean: 160
Mile: 8:42

The biggest exercises that I've had trouble with are dips and pullups. Everything else has been going up rather steadily, well, amazingly actually. I had never done any lifting besides bench press and some dumbell curls and machines with "athletic" friends who "knew what they were doing" before I started working out for crossfit. What I'm looking to do over the summer is improve my overall endurance, build some more strength, and drop down to 220 lbs, which should put me in much better shape for my test this fall, not to mention just feeling better overall!

That's enough for now, I'll post my workouts from the last week later. Comments welcome, and thanks for any future help!
Old 05-23-2009, 02:14 PM   #2
Jesse Richards

Profile:
Re: Jesse's Test Preparation

Alrighty! The past two weeks have been really hectic. I finished first year law school exams last friday and started my workout schedule. I've been feeling really good, and though I'm not fully on zone yet I've stocked up the house with healthier food and have mostly shifted my eating habits. Now for some workout reports.

Wednesday 5/13: CFWU 3 x 12, did power clean maxes as prescribed. Was slightly frustrated and felt a little out of gas. Ended up with 135, 145, 155, 155, 155, 160(f), 155. My max that I've done is 160, which I actually did the week before when I was power cleaning in order to set up for the Push Press workout. Overall I think I should have gone higher sooner, since three consecutive reps at 155 tired me out by the sixth rep, so that's something to keep in mind for the future.

Saturday 5/16: First day after finals, was raring for a workout after getting done. Got kind of drunk the night before, but ate a good zone breakfast and got a good workout in. Actually had a friend assist with the situp/ back extension workout, which significantly cut down on the swap time, since I don't have a GH machine, and so was having to weigh my legs down with a 45 lb plate. I did pack level scaled, probably should have done Porch, or maybe as RX'd. Got a 3:58 with ___ which was a PR by almost a minute (down from 4:53), mainly I think due to the fact that I simply had to roll over and my friend held down my legs again. But still, a PR by a minute is still a sweet PR. After the workout had a good stretching session. I'd been feeling tight because I hadn't done any stretching in almost a week, but it felt like a good start.

Sunday 5/17: Rest/ skill day. Had a good light practice, had a new guy come out to the house for our karate practice, had good stretching session. Felt a bit more limber.

Monday 5/18: Heavy WOD today. My garage gym doesn't have a bench to... well, bench off of, since we hardly ever bench in CF, it's not normally an issue, I mean I think this is the first WOD thatt I've seen it in since January. Would have just gone to the student gym on campus, but it's closed, so my friends substituted twice the number of pushups for the benching. I had to scale that down a bit, so instead of doing it as RX'd I did:

500m row
40 pushups
1000m row
20 pushups
2000m row
10 pushups
Time: 23:22. I was dead for half an hour after the WOD. Great workout, loved it! I haven't really done a lot of longer rowing, so it was a good change of pace. Time could have been a bit better, but the pushups really killed me after the first set, just with my heartrate already that high, it was really difficult, though I did knock out the last set with only a single break between seven and eight.

Tuesday 5/19: Did a Pack Scaled Diane today in 4:19. I felt really good about it, but because my friends and I are still not good with handstands we did a sever inclined pushup instead. It almost felt too easy, so I'm going to see if I can start getting my assisted HSPU down soon. The Deadlifts felt awesome. I didn't even have to break in the first set, and the main trouble I had with fatigue was almost completely in my grip, everything else felt fine. I simply switch the alternating grip for the last five reps and ripped them out, no problem. I felt great after the workout, it was a really positive experience. Did the workout in the morning, then flew back to Nashville to see family, which was great, but means that I don't have access to my garage gym, so no weights, no equipment, and no pullup bar.

Wednesday 5/20: Rest day. My arms were killing me like nobody's business. Probably from all of pushups/ inclined pushups.

Thursday 5/21: Felt kind of tired today after spending most of it helping my dad with landscaping projects. Went to a local track and did a puckish scaling of the run/squat WOD. 3 rounds, 400m + 25 squats. Did it at 10:05, and felt completely beat. My lower back was killing me after the first run, and my glutes were really feeling it from the combo run/ squat. Felt kind of gassed afterwards.

Friday 5/22: Pack Level Michael today. After spending eight hours in a car heading up to Virginia to see the extended family and having a good dinner I was raring to go. Did the workout in 18:55, which was a PR by 4:40! My technique on my last set of back extensions was slipping from the fatigue, but the runs felt pretty good, barely did any walking, and that was only after my back started bothering me on the second and third rounds. I’m not sure, since I mapped my run online, but it felt weird to be so much faster on time. Though it has been a month and a half since I did Michael last, it still feels weird to see such a difference.
Also, I got some weird looks while I was doing this WOD. While I was doing the situps in the middle of the front yard, and elderly couple came strolling down the sidewalk, out for their evening walk. They nodded and said hi, and I replied, with what tiny amount of breath I had while on the last ten situps of the WOD. They seemed nice… but gave me some real odd looks and kept on walking.

Saturday 5/23: Decided to pull something different today and go for broke a little. Last day of my routine, and since I had absolutely no equipment, and not even a suitable tree limb to use for pull-ups, I decided to go for broke on running and do a mile today. That way I can rejoice when we get some more strength WODs in the next week, and also I was interested to see how I could do. I ran the mile in 7:34! The last time my friends and I had miled was back in march, and though I knew my half mile times were lower from the 4 x 800m a few weeks ago, I was really happy when I pulled in a full minute and eight seconds faster than my previous time of 8:42! I actually felt fine afterwards as well, and am now sitting in the car typing as we drive back to Nashville. I will say this though, I’m really hoping that we have strength days coming up! My legs are tired of all of the running.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:42 PM   #3
Jesse Richards

Profile:

Ask and yea shall receive Strength WODs, and still, no place to do them! I've put in 15 hours landscaping the past two days for my dad, which hasn't been the most restful, but I was still going to go to an affiliate today anyway. Go figure the three in Nashville were all closed(though I can understand, because of the holiday), so sadly no lifting. However, I did make it from the doors of the building one was in to my car for some serious time, as the clouds opened up on my head as I walked out the door!

Fortunately I'm going home to Oklahoma tommorow, and since I'll be getting back early, I've got my workout buddies together and we're totalling together, here's hoping I can get into the "novice" classification!

Also, a question for anyone reading this. I really liked the running the past week, but my lower back has been killing me by the time I've got anything over half a mile in, to the point where I have to walk and rub it for a bit before running some more, which has been slowing me down a little. I'm not sure what it is, because my back doesn't usually bother me for just about anything else? Any ideas/ suggestions welcome.

Thanks!
Old 05-28-2009, 02:03 PM   #4
Jesse Richards

Profile:

Well, things got a bit hectic, but I'm finally back on track. I flew back tuesday, and my friend who was going to pick me up had an accident and totaled her car, and by t work he time I got home, I hadn't eaten in almost ten hours and was really tired, so no workout. However, yesterday, I rounded up my workout friends, and we did CFT, finally.

I was really pumped yesterday to do some strength work, and I was very pleasantly suprised when I felt better than I had in a few weeks. I guess the week long rest from heavy lifting really worked well with my muscles, since I felt the best with my pullup work that i have in a while.

However, the first thing when I started warming up my back squat i felt completely off with my lifting. I felt like I couldn't get any power going. Then I realized that I was wearing my running shoes that I had only bought the day before. After I switched to barefoot lifting, I felt much better, and set a new PR and new CFT high for back squat of 260. It was twenty pounds higher than my last PR and my form felt great!

My Shoulder Press was still bugging me, as I'm able to match my previous record of 125, but it's all I can do to do that, and at even 5 lbs more, I can barely get the bar three inches up.

Deadlift was feeling even better than back squat, which amazed me. I easily pulled 315, then 345, and if i had thought to switch up my alternate grip I felt like I could have pulled 360. Still, i'll take a second 20 lb PR on the same day!

So, new CFT of 725. Good Progress, I'm looking forward to seeing what the next week or two bring!
Old 05-28-2009, 02:20 PM   #5
Jesse Richards

Profile:

Still a few days behind, but on track. I was feeling it a bit this morning, since last night was a major cheat, eating pizza, soft drinks, a cookies, and I stayed up until 5 with friends.

However, I dragged my butt out of bed, ate a proper zone breakfast, rehydrated, and got to it.

I really didn't want to run the 5k today, but after checking the scaling, Pack level is still the full distance, so I got a timer and ran with a friend of mine. I wasn't sure if I could do it, but I managed to finally find a gait in running that I could follow without running out of breath, and I doggedly stuck to that for the whole length!

I ended up finishing in 30:31, which is over twenty minutes faster than the last time i attempted the run with my friends back in january.