CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-21-2010, 08:23 AM   #1
Tom Fluharty

Profile:
CFT: Back Squat let me down

Greetings,

We had a CF Total competition earlier this month and my back squat really let me down.

Back Squat = 305 (on 3rd attempt, didnt fail)
Strict Press = 205 (failed at 210 on 3rd attempt)
Deadlift = 440 (poor weight strategy, 3rd attempt at 440 was cake)
CFT = 950

I'm happy with the Press and DL but that back squat is a joke. Does anyone have glaring insight as to which muscles need to be strengthened and which exercises would help develope my box squat. (I feel more confident and stable training/performing front squats and OHS than back squats)

This is my first thread so I'll try the search portal to see if this has already been addressed but any comments would be awesome.

(Been CF training since summer 08' - 5'11''/195#/28yo)

Many thanks,

Tom
Old 01-21-2010, 09:31 AM   #2
Scott A Martin

Profile:
Re: CFT: Back Squat let me down

If you want to improve your back squat, a good exercise would probably be the back squat.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:52 PM   #3
Michael Henry

Profile:

I added about 30# to my squat doing 3x5 twice a week following the CFWF program. If you aren't familiar with it is a blend of SS and CF. I started mid November and went about 7 weeks. Best 3x5 was 320#. The following workout I was only able to get 325# 5,5, & 3. Hardest workout I've ever done in my life... Best 3x5 prior to that was like 285# in July. I didn't think I worked as much linear progression as I could have out of myself so I decided to go for it, eat the food, life the weights, and not worry about metcon so much, only did 2 a week (as per the program) at most, and if time was a factor it was the first thing I'd not do.

For comparison I'm 5'10"/188#/29.99726027

Last edited by Michael Henry; 01-21-2010 at 01:58 PM..
Old 01-21-2010, 01:53 PM   #4
Tony J Gatecliff

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott A Martin View Post
If you want to improve your back squat, a good exercise would probably be the back squat.
Probably the best response right there ha. Work on your back squat and just do a lot of Air squats and those numbers should go up
Old 01-21-2010, 02:01 PM   #5
Tony J Gatecliff

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott A Martin View Post
Probably the best response right there ha. Work on your back squat and just do a lot of Air squats and those numbers should go up
Old 01-22-2010, 11:11 AM   #6
Ben Sparks

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Henry View Post
For comparison I'm 5'10"/188#/29.99726027
Happy Birthday Michael
Old 01-22-2010, 12:39 PM   #7
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Sparks View Post
Happy Birthday Michael
Yes, Cheers!

As for the OPs question:

Yes, back squats will be the best answer unless you have identified a significant specific weakness.

Have you been squatting lately? And is your form good? If you haven't read it get Starting Strength and read it. Based on your numbers I'd predict (is predict the right word when making an educated guess as to what has happened in the past? Am I postdicting?) that you haven't been practicing heavy back squats much lately so that your problem is not just a relative lack of strength, but is also a lack of squatting efficiency and lack of practice.

After your make sure your form is good, heavy back squats once a week (3 sets of 5 or similar) should help performance through improved neurological efficiency. Squatting once a week has been good maintenance for me, and can be enough for some people to make steady linear gains with (high rep sets as assistance may help with this). If you want to get even more serious about getting your squats stronger check out CrossFit Witchita Falls template, or CFSB (which is lower body centric). For reference, I'm 5' 11' ~190, and squatted 335, deadlift 395 my last CFT (900 total, I envy your press!).
Old 01-22-2010, 01:40 PM   #8
Tom Fluharty

Profile:

Thanks for responding fellas.

I believe my form is adequate but I cant say I've practiced it nearly enough. I guess I was expecting to 1RM at least 350# with mild ease (based on DL/Clean/PC/FS/OHS) strength. For some reason, I just havent spend any time practicing back squat because it seems so basic compared to the others I just referenced.

Anyway, sounds like it's time to program back squats into my strengh work.

Many thanks,

-Tom
Old 01-22-2010, 02:56 PM   #9
Jesse Richards

Profile:

Tom- Totally hear you on the weird BS weakness, though your other numbers crush mine (130 press, 400 dead, 300 BS). It wasn't until I spent some time doing some serious front squats and a few BS 5x5s that I became familiar enough and confident enough with the lift that it really took off for me. For reference, after CFing for 5 months, my Deadlift was at 375, and my Back Squat was at a bare 225... Just get some practice at it and it'll come up, you obviously have the strength! Good luck dude.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:15 PM   #10
Chris Walls

Profile:

I found after a few 20 rep squat sets you get comfortable being under the bar and can focus simply on moving the weight and getting the next rep, instead of thinking of too many things.

Have you ever done a 20 rep set? The last time I did this I took a weight I could squat 10 times (did it for 12 a week or 2 before...) and did it for 20. It was one of, if not THE most, horrible things I've subjected myself to in the gym... But after that heavy squats for a few reps didn't have the same "crushing me into the ground oh noes" type of thought process and was simply work that had to get done.

So it was more a mental adaptation to the work, and not a physical one.