CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-13-2009, 08:04 AM   #1
Jesse Richards

Profile:
Losing weight too quickly?

Hey all, I started doing strict Paleo a last monday after reading Melissa Byers's blog and doing a lot of reading. I've been following it straight up, only eating meat, nuts, fruits, and vegetables. I've felt great, my energy levels have evened out, I'm sleeping good, everything's going well.

However, I'm slightly worried, because while I feel fine, I've dropped nine pounds since I started the eating change last tuesday morning. I weighed 241.5 last monday night, and I got on the scale and I'm down to 232 today. I normally wouldn't be too worried, because all of my performances that I've tested are holding steady or getting better. I knocked down my run/squat time by over 30 second, I got a third deadhang pullup (sad, but still a PR for me), my kipping pullups are feeling awesome, and I was able to bump up to porch on the situp/ back extension WOD. Am I just worrying too much? I'm guessing that part of the weight loss is water weight, because I look and feel a lot less bloated now.

Thanks for any advice!
Old 07-13-2009, 08:12 AM   #2
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:
Re: Losing weight too quickly?

Some more knowledgable people can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that starches and grains cause your body to retain more water, so its like that purging yourself of sugars/grains/starches has caused you to lose the water weight that those things usually cause you to retain. I'm sure you've lost a pound or a few without the water weight too
Old 07-13-2009, 08:16 AM   #3
Jeff Evans

Profile:

I think you're worrying too much, especially since you already indicated you're feeling great and performing well. The weight loss you describe is quite common for people in your situation, though the reasons for it are still somewhat debated.

For example, one theory says your body tries to regulate blood sugar levels, in part, through water. If your blood sugar is high, you get thirsty so your blood can dilute enough to reduce blood sugar to safer levels. By eating the way you have, your blood sugar has been reduced by diet alone, so the body is no longer compelled to hold on to as much water for the purposes of blood dilution.

Give it a few weeks and see how you feel. Also, waist size is a far important metric to track than something totally arbitrary like the force the Earth is exerting on your body .
Old 07-14-2009, 02:49 PM   #4
Kara Govro

Profile:

As long as you feel well I wouldn't worry about it. You may have gone into a ketosis state, where you body had to start using fat for fuel - this will cause rapid weight loss - or it may be water weight because of blood sugar levels or even a reduction in sodium.

When I worked for a weight loss clinic we'd often see losses like this for the first couple of weeks. Just stay tuned into your body.

Last edited by Kara Govro; 07-14-2009 at 03:06 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 07-14-2009, 03:05 PM   #5
Jason David

Profile:

I wouldn't worry...unless you weighed yourself at the same time of day/same day of the week etc. Even then things can fluctuate. On the other side..don't freak out if you're up a pound or 2 next week. Things will level off and become more consistent.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:39 PM   #6
Justin Shipley

Profile:

What everyone else said...

You see far more posts on this board from people who have made dietary changes and are dropping in weight and BF, but whose performances are dropping and they feel like sh*t most of the time.
So until either of those occur, you're getting what you wished for