CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 05-16-2016, 01:18 PM   #301
Danielle Chollet

Profile:
Re: Crossfit Open 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cook View Post
And EZ Mohammad. Missing the last rope climb. So sad for him. The frustration at being so close and letting it just slip through your grasp.
Looks like EZ got no-repped when his legs accidentally closed on the rope right after he jumped up, you can see him looking at his judge as he dropped down to start over. Such a shame.

Don't know why Bailey didn't get no-repped after he took a swing and a miss at the crossbar, wrapped the rope for a second, let go and then made the touch. His judge kind of missed that one.

I don't know what was up with Dan Bailey, maybe a little sick or a little injured...it didn't look like he had any fire in him all weekend.
Old 05-16-2016, 02:27 PM   #302
Brad Gerbrandt

Profile:

I agree, it's a shame Dan didn't make it. He just looked tired on the last one. Same with Kenny L. He dominated regionals last year but didn't have it this year. Never been a fan of Josh B but wow, he showed up.

Roy G has also put in a lot of work in the last few years!

Kara was amazing! I, too, hope she has a good games appearance. (not like 4th last year wasn't good). I think, baring any injuries, she'll be on the podium this year.

Programming was ok. Didn't like the slow pace of Regionals Nate and the standing around by many during the rope climbs. Although it was a separating workout as the top guys were up and down no problem, it was just the athletes that had no chance at the games that had a problem with it.

Judging inconsistencies will always be there. I'm not too concerned about that. The stepping out of the box on the snatch ladder was obvious to us watching but it seemed consistent within Regions. Did anyone see someone pulled back for walking around their bar instead of stepping over on their way to the finish mat and then plenty of others who got away with it? Not a bid deal but when you're looking at hundredth of a second, it's only a matter of time before it affects someone going to the games or not. Not sure if their is an appeal process at regionals like there is at the games.

With the false start, they should just give some kind of penalty (maybe 5 seconds?) instead of pulling everyone back.
Old 05-16-2016, 02:28 PM   #303
Price Goosby

Profile:

Basically between Fisher coming back and Bridges having the ability to full time commit to CF now someone was going to be edged out and it was a veteran.
Old 05-16-2016, 03:08 PM   #304
Victor J McQuaide

Profile:

Yes injuries and sickness could be involved with any and all of them. Dan clearly had struggles on the ohs last year and this year. Seems his overhead position looks like a lack of mobility. Cool dude, had a great run.. will be up to him to decide to train harder and shore up some weaknesses and make a run at being the champ.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:05 AM   #305
Alex Burden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor J McQuaide View Post
Yes injuries and sickness could be involved with any and all of them. Dan clearly had struggles on the ohs last year and this year. Seems his overhead position looks like a lack of mobility. Cool dude, had a great run.. will be up to him to decide to train harder and shore up some weaknesses and make a run at being the champ.
Its a shame that Dan did not make it this year, he is an interesting guy and always good to watch. He did have problems for 6 months and could not run, and maybe this affected his conditioning.

Both Dan and Brook will get over this in a week or so and hopefully they will both do a Bridges... get ****ed off and come back with a vengance next year and show everyone this year was a glitch.

Its a wake up call that top athletes will have to get used too.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:43 AM   #306
John Drohan

Profile:

I think as the Crossfit Games progress, the variation between athlete's capabilities will decrease. This will have the effect of making many secondary issues more prominent in determining the winners/those who advance.

An individual's health during the weekend, a particular workout or movement, a single no-rep, all of these things have and will continue to shape the outcomes. You can no longer afford to be at anything but your best shape for those 3 days.

There are still regions where the top athlete is still far enough ahead of the competitors such that these smaller things won't make a huge difference, but in the California region that wasn't the case.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:04 AM   #307
Victor J McQuaide

Profile:

Would love to know more about Dan B's shoulder mobility. He just doesn't look that comfortable on the squat snatches and the OHS. Last year he really struggled on the 50 pull ups and XX ohs at 205 at the regionals. This year after the AA Bike and hs walk he had some serious problems on the 10 reps of 225.

I see Rich F do bad on the rope climbs and now is one of the best at them. Josh B was bad on Deadlifts and Heavy Snatches.. Now he clears the Regional Ladder and did the 21 405# deadlift and he even cleared the open workout with the heavy squat cleans.

I say this because Dan B does this full time and its his job. Wonder what the formula is for fixing the weaknesses. Some do it better than others.

I am in the same boat. 2 years with back injury then bam Master Qual picks the worse possible max.. enter the deadlift. Then I struggle with m/u when they are a chipper style. Also struggle with fast events that you have to go 100%.

I am picking the Josh B style of attacking the weaknesses. Rest of my games is pretty good. Looking forward to next year having some health and strength back.

I hope that Dan pulls a Rich and sorts out his shorts. I really like that guy. I got a chance to meet him briefly.. seems like a cool guy. Would like to see him back stronger than ever.
Old 05-17-2016, 12:31 PM   #308
Michael Cook

Profile:

It is interesting to compare Becca Voigt's finishes in the Regional with Dan Bailey's:

Becca: 8-6-9-5-5-1-10 = 542 points, 2nd place

Dan: 8-6-10-7-2-9-9 = 519 points, 7th place
Old 05-17-2016, 01:34 PM   #309
Victor J McQuaide

Profile:

Pacific region female 1-4 solid.. 5th near 120 points back from 4th.

Dan took it well. Giving up to God. Great athlete guess making room for new stars.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:45 PM   #310
Jon Campbell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Gerbrandt View Post
I agree, it's a shame Dan didn't make it. He just looked tired on the last one. Same with Kenny L. He dominated regionals last year but didn't have it this year. Never been a fan of Josh B but wow, he showed up.
Kenny L. Was battling a bad hamstring. He was struggling big time on the Run/GHD/DL