CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 02-26-2016, 12:27 PM   #91
Ben Covington

Profile:
Re: Crossfit Open 2016

I got 4.5 rounds or 117 reps. All RX except the C2B pull-ups. Still week in kipping and pull-ups in general. Ended up doing strict chin-over-the-bar pull-ups.

Legs were smoked on the return trip after burpees each round.

Home gym. Not registered in the open...
Old 02-26-2016, 12:35 PM   #92
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

Well I got 4 rounds RX and had 4 mins left. Called it quits since HR was an amazing 220 and I was about to puke.
Over all I was on pace for what I wanted but this one is no fun at all.

Anyone else using a step up from the burpee to feet side by side for the bar jump vs jumping up to both feet and then over? Was thinking this requires less "work" and saved a little more gas.
Old 02-26-2016, 12:41 PM   #93
Ben Covington

Profile:

I got 4.5 rounds or 117 reps. All RX except the C2B pull-ups. Still weak in kipping and pull-ups in general. Ended up doing strict chin-over-the-bar pull-ups.

Legs were smoked on the return trip after burpees each round.

Home gym. Not registered in the open...

Last edited by Ben Covington; 02-26-2016 at 12:41 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 02-26-2016, 01:07 PM   #94
John Drohan

Profile:

Perhaps silly question...

I am registered and plan to do 16.1 scaled as 95# overhead is going to kill my weakened, post-surgery lumbar region. However, I think that jumping pull-ups is a bit silly for me as I could easily do C2B's.

If I do regular kipping pull-ups instead of jumping ones, would that technically still qualify as a valid submission? For example, do you have to scale EVERY movement or can you just scale what you need to and still submit it as a valid scaled workout?
Old 02-26-2016, 01:20 PM   #95
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Drohan View Post
Perhaps silly question...

I am registered and plan to do 16.1 scaled as 95# overhead is going to kill my weakened, post-surgery lumbar region. However, I think that jumping pull-ups is a bit silly for me as I could easily do C2B's.

If I do regular kipping pull-ups instead of jumping ones, would that technically still qualify as a valid submission? For example, do you have to scale EVERY movement or can you just scale what you need to and still submit it as a valid scaled workout?
Scaled is scaled. So if you scale one thing your score for into that bracket.

Now I'm a fan of only scaling what you need to. However if you are one of those folks who wants to score higher then scale it all. Otherwise you doing the RC movement for some and scaled for others will cause your score to get crushed usually.

I judged a masters event at the obliteration fest in Houston one year and they could do pull-ups 10 or 15 jumping pull ups at no cost in rank. The "smart" guys who cared about positioning did jumping ones and won the overall while the "RX" guys who wanted to do it correctly because they could got smoked in the standings because of it. In my opinion one group cheesed out for positional ranking and winning even though they could do the movement "RX".
Old 02-26-2016, 01:28 PM   #96
John Drohan

Profile:

Thanks Shawn,

My goal this year is participatory in nature, so once I'm scaled, caring about the standings becomes rather unnecessary. I'm more interested in the quality of my workout and just thankful that I can do something this year. My son is doing 16-17 teen Rx and just being able to workout with him makes me feel super fortunate.
Old 02-26-2016, 02:14 PM   #97
Alex Burden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Wheeler View Post
So, I wanted to see how people were video-ing their submissions, but every video page on the leaderboard shows a pukie page - http://games.crossfit.com/judge/16.9157 - anyone able to view any video submissions on the leaderboard?

Link currently WFS due to pukie logo. If link starts working, I've never seen his video, so no idea!
I actually compete in the open at my gym and my wife judges me, I don't publish a video even though the video tab is there. They need to trust that my score is the truth. So for me this would be correct and no one can see any video.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:49 AM   #98
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Wheeler View Post
So, I wanted to see how people were video-ing their submissions, but every video page on the leaderboard shows a pukie page - http://games.crossfit.com/judge/16.9157 - anyone able to view any video submissions on the leaderboard?

Link currently WFS due to pukie logo. If link starts working, I've never seen his video, so no idea!
When I click on that link, I see the video.

At the beginning of the video he gets a close up of his 25' lane, with tape measure showing 25', and showing the barbell and 25# plates. Then he sets the camera down where the whole lane is in the shot - burpees at one end, pull-up bar at the other end.

(not wfs, language)
Old 02-27-2016, 12:09 PM   #99
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Morris View Post
When I click on that link, I see the video.

At the beginning of the video he gets a close up of his 25' lane, with tape measure showing 25', and showing the barbell and 25# plates. Then he sets the camera down where the whole lane is in the shot - burpees at one end, pull-up bar at the other end.

(not wfs, language)
Not the most fun camera wise due to area to cover and setup at.

One garage guy said forget it and went to a box(maybe is plan) because 25 feet for him means going down a driveway (lunging down and up it) and having to use blocks to hold barbell in place while he burpees over a bar
Old 02-27-2016, 03:07 PM   #100
Nicholas Wheeler

Profile:

Here's a quick 60 second clip I made of the open today! So much (non) eliteness! SFW - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju7NBJ67ja4

Video was taken at CrossFit TakeOver in Virgnia Beach, VA! Phenomenal community in that place. After everyone had come and gone both the owners took time out of their schedule to help me out with Pistols! And I'm not one of the paying members, just a old pal!