CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 09-16-2015, 03:32 AM   #1
Scott Jenkins

Profile:
Why has this message board gone so quiet?

7 years ago when I first started CrossFit this message board was about 100 times more active. Does anyone have any explanation of why it's gone so quiet on here. The amount of Crossfitters, boxes since 7 years ago has grown so much yet less people are discussing on here.

My only explanation is that 7 years ago most people would workout on there own and getting on here was the only way to speak to others doing CrossFit, whereas nowadays there's so many affiliates that people stick to there own place.

Be interested in everyones view on why they think it's gone so quiet on here.
Fran 3:19. Diane 2:49. Elizabeth 5:48. Cindy 26+21. Helen 7:50. JT 7:03. Grace 1.56
www.crossfitblackwater.com
Old 09-16-2015, 05:04 AM   #2
Alex Burden

Profile:
Re: Why has this message board gone so quiet?

Basically I think it is the evolution of the internet, crossfit in general and other media's types, boxes having their own pages, forums and so on for their members.

There is so much more out there today than for 7years ago and I believe that is why people leave this forum.

If you think about it there is not allot happening to it, the look and feel is very outdated and just a refreshing of that would make a difference and possibly entice more to be active.

I joined in Jan last year and since then nothing has happened... its a shame because there are some very interesting conversations.

that's my 2 on the subject
Old 09-16-2015, 08:20 AM   #3
Scott Jenkins

Profile:

I think I would be gutted if this site was revamped too much, the main page workout and format is to me like a classic car, also it reminds me of when I first discovered CrossFit, back them my home computer also took about 20 minutes to load just the page, but nonetheless I would sit there eargerly waiting the daily WOD.
Fran 3:19. Diane 2:49. Elizabeth 5:48. Cindy 26+21. Helen 7:50. JT 7:03. Grace 1.56
Old 09-16-2015, 11:30 AM   #4
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

It's hard for a message board to thrive when new users can't register
Old 09-16-2015, 03:35 PM   #5
Matthew S Cooper

Profile:

Having served as a global moderator and admin on several (now defunct) forums, I think it has more to do with the format than anything else. Understand when I say format, I'm not picking on the color scheme and user controls - I mean message board/forums in general.

Right now, video and social media are king. Message boards are my favorite, but I'm kind of old school in that regard.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:11 PM   #6
Chris Sinagoga

Profile:

I'm with Scott in the sense that I love that it has remained unchanged. Same with the main site. I think a lot of websites upgrade too much and now they all look the same.

As for the lack of activity, I think it has to do with YouTube and Facebook and Twitter being the main avenues for stuff. Also with people wanting to make a name for themselves and doing things on their own sites/blogs. I don't think that's a bad thing, but I also wish they would come back to the Message Board and the Journal to contribute.

I actually wrote an article about that topic and submitted it to the Journal a few days ago. It's a three-month challenge to migrate back to the main site, Journal, and Message board.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:58 PM   #7
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Part of the reason it has gone so quiet is that some of the regulars, or high quantity commentators were banned for one reason or another.

Also, a moderator said that an update to the message boards is in the works. However, this comment was over a year ago, so it may not happen soon. It will happen when it will happen.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:45 AM   #8
Scott Jenkins

Profile:

Fingers crossed they don't ever make this forum defunct, I have a 12,000 page log of my training on here.

Is that true that new users cannot register anymore Luke?

I know people are on Facebook, twitter etc, but I still think there's a place for a forum like this, at least you don't have to be friends of friends with prople to debate something. Admittedly though I don't comment on the normal threads as much as I did in the past, maybe because I feel they don't get as much traffic anymore.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:54 AM   #9
Christopher Morris

Profile:

I hope new users can still register. I think the strength of the forum is that there is some oversight, and you can get booted for not following the rules of the forum. I don't like reading comments on Facebook or other unmoderated sites because people are idiots. This forum has a higher quality than that.

I found the post from a moderator talking about a forum re-boot. She said that the forum project was bogged down because people at HQ were focused on Games organization. She made this comment just before the 2014 Games. So, the project has been bogged down for a while.

Quote:
The forum has over 59,000 members registered, and about 800 "active." A lot of people sign up and read and lurk, and a lot of people sign up and forget about it.

Particularly as the community has grown, we're not the only game in town. 10K affiliates, as many blogs and facebook pages and etc., and, like the main page www.crossfit.com, we are less of the central place for discussion.

All of that said, there has never been a "mass banning." There are 186 banned users, and half of those are spammers who got banned after one or two posts. And the board isn't down to squash discussion.

The board was shut down in the interim of bringing a new, more fully featured and modern version on line; unfortunately that project has gotten bogged down. After the Games there should be a run at getting that project completed and getting registrations back up and running.
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showpo...8&postcount=29 (wfs)

part of this thread:

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=87427 (wfs)
Old 09-20-2015, 11:45 PM   #10
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

New users have been registered since that announcement, I'm just not sure how. You can verify this by their registering date.

FB has killed off a lot of forums. Especially with CF, PL, WL, StrongMan, Paleo, Zone, etc specific groups on FB besides private FB groups for CF gyms.

It's so easy to have access and update via phone and app updates rather than going through the browser.