CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:20 AM   #21
Pearse Shields

Profile:
Re: CrossFit Bashing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel R Raabe View Post
Thanks again for keeping this rolling. How many of you out there use CrossFit to train for better athletic ability in Jiu-Jitsu, Boxing, MMA, self defense, etc?
I used to, but now I follow my own non-CF programming.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:23 AM   #22
Clifton Mack

Profile:

Long article about CF on yahoo front page this morning.
http://health.yahoo.net/articles/fit...-cult-crossfit (WFS)
Old 02-09-2012, 04:34 PM   #23
Preston Sprimont

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifton Mack View Post
Decent review of Crossfit and some of the negative aspects one may encounter (depending on the affiliate, etc.), but the article seemed very much to have an agenda and was quite "tunnel-visioned."
It is a shame, though, that people (who have not already heard of and formed an opinion on Crossfit) who read that article will probably, without much additional research, turn away from anything "Crossfit"-related; I think there are a lot of great affiliates and CF offshoots out there that are putting out some of the best publicly available programming for general athletic improvement.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:58 AM   #24
David Alexander

Profile:

Was that the article where the author was some little 140lb dweeb who got beat by 40+ year old ladies in WODs? Then he quit CF, and broke up with his CFing girlfriend because he was embarrassed since she was stronger and faster than him (or she dumped him). He's just a hater and a loser.

That guy should not be allowed to give his opinion on anything fitness related and needs to just stick to the typewriter.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:29 AM   #25
Tom McFarlane

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Alexander View Post
Was that the article where the author was some little 140lb dweeb who got beat by 40+ year old ladies in WODs? Then he quit CF, and broke up with his CFing girlfriend because he was embarrassed since she was stronger and faster than him (or she dumped him). He's just a hater and a loser.

That guy should not be allowed to give his opinion on anything fitness related and needs to just stick to the typewriter.
Take a deep breath, step away from the keyboard, and go to your happy place for awhile.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:40 AM   #26
Richard Foote

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifton Mack View Post
That exact same article appeared in Men's Health not too long ago. Seems like the writer has a very definite agenda, got some publicity through Men's Health, and decided to take it to a wider audience.

To each his own...for as many haters as the Crossfit community has developed, I'd say there are at least as many supporters.

You can't please EVERYBODY.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:24 AM   #27
Michael Buzny

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Alexander View Post

Yes it was.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:11 PM   #28
Rob Brown

Profile:

""The last straw came when I found myself in a class of 12, mostly women. They'd all finished, but I still had 3 sets to go. There's something uniquely humiliating about trying to squeeze out a fifth round of 10 pullups, completely red-faced and fatigued, with a group of women yelling encouragement. I finished 2 minutes after my nearest rival, stumbled through a forest of high-fives, and then went out the door and never came back.""

I found the quote above from the article pretty weak, and very telling. I'm easily as inspired by the women as much as the men. Actually, more so in some regards. Sounds like this kid has an issue getting his proverbial *** handed to him, by what in his mind are "just women" haha.. CF is not for him if that's the case.

..Unfortunately there will be more and more of these as CF gets more popular and the Eeore's need to blame something other than their ability to put their ego in the back pocket, set down the simple carbs, and simply just persevere.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:49 PM   #29
Damon Stewart

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom McFarlane View Post
I agree that this is a lot of it. When you see statements like these:

"Triathletes are sorely lacking in strength, speed, power, flexibility, accuracy, agility, and coordination, but they've sure got a lock on malnutrition"

The infamous heirarchy of training for mass that's in the FAQ:
1. Bodybuilding on steroids
2. CrossFitting on steroids
3. CrossFitting without steroids
4. Bodybuilding without steroids

And the even more infamous claim that "We can take you from a 200 pound max deadlift to a 500-750 pound max deadlift in two years while only pulling max singles four or five times a year."

And of course, two of the most famous bosts:

"We do your stuff almost as well as you, you can't do our stuff at all and we do stuff neither of us do way better than you can."

"The strength and value of CrossFit lies entirely within our dominance of other athletes. This is a truth divined through competition, not debate.

Basically, the claims above suggest that crossfiting is better for triathletes than triathlon training, better for bodybuilders than bodybuilding training, better for powerlifters than powerlifting training, and just overall the greatest thing ever.

It's why, although I like crossfitting, I hesitate about calling myself a crossfitter.
I honestly like all of the above more than I would have liked some lukewarm crap. While there's definitely hyperbole above I also remember hearing Glassman say Crossfit would take over the fitness world, impact globo gyms on every level, and go worldwide way back in 2007. All of which has happened or is happening. Give me audacity any day of the week.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:20 PM   #30
Tom McFarlane

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon Stewart View Post
I honestly like all of the above more than I would have liked some lukewarm crap. While there's definitely hyperbole above I also remember hearing Glassman say Crossfit would take over the fitness world, impact globo gyms on every level, and go worldwide way back in 2007. All of which has happened or is happening. Give me audacity any day of the week.
At least his prediction about the growth of crossfit had some truth to it. The stuff I quoted isn't audacity, it's pure B.S.

Or are you saying you actually believe the stuff about crossfit creating 750 deadlifters and being the best training for bodybuilders?