CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 06-21-2015, 12:17 AM   #11
Michael Turner

Profile:
Re: Help with Overhead Squat

Thanks Ludovic...I really appreciate you taking the time to make suggestions...I will practice more...thanks much!!
Old 06-21-2015, 02:01 PM   #12
Preston Sprimont

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Turner View Post
Thanks a lot Preston for such a comprehensive reply. You're totally right that my armpits are not positioned optimally and that I don't feel comfortable AT ALL doing this exercise--hence the reason I need to do it more Do you have any cues for how to keep your armpits facing forward? Meaning, is there something else I can tell my body to do that will help make them face forward? Perhaps not...just asking....thanks again very very much!
Thinking about "breaking the bar" might be of help. You've likely heard this cue for the bench press before--I always tell athletes to break the bar like they're breaking a handful of uncooked spaghetti. The armpits forward thing is all about putting your shoulders in a more stable position by creating some external rotation torque, and the "break the bar" cue does exactly that. It also might help to think about externally rotating your arms so that the inside of your elbow is facing in towards your ears.

Glad to be of help. Keep at it! Mastering the overhead squat (and, eventually, the snatch) is pretty darn rewarding.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:45 AM   #13
Alex Burden

Profile:

Just had a thought that may help you on the way to build confidence and help you in general.

Snatch Balance:
http://daily.barbellshrugged.com/how...-techniquewod/ WFS

This really helped me allot and I think will help you too.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:37 AM   #14
Preston Sprimont

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Burden View Post
Just had a thought that may help you on the way to build confidence and help you in general.

Snatch Balance:
http://daily.barbellshrugged.com/how...-techniquewod/ WFS

This really helped me allot and I think will help you too.
Snatch balance is a great exercise for helping build overhead stability and confidence in the catch phase of the snatch, but I wouldn't recommend mixing in snatch balances until you have built up some level of confidence and proficiency in the overhead squat. The snatch balance adds a much more dynamic element to a movement that already challenges stability and balance. Gotta cover the basics first.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:36 PM   #15
Alex Burden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston Sprimont View Post
Snatch balance is a great exercise for helping build overhead stability and confidence in the catch phase of the snatch, but I wouldn't recommend mixing in snatch balances until you have built up some level of confidence and proficiency in the overhead squat. The snatch balance adds a much more dynamic element to a movement that already challenges stability and balance. Gotta cover the basics first.
Maybe I should have been more specific... not all of it may be relevant but Mike needs to look at the parts he feels may help with his OHS.

Old 06-24-2015, 06:29 AM   #16
Michael Turner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston Sprimont View Post
Thinking about "breaking the bar" might be of help. You've likely heard this cue for the bench press before--I always tell athletes to break the bar like they're breaking a handful of uncooked spaghetti. The armpits forward thing is all about putting your shoulders in a more stable position by creating some external rotation torque, and the "break the bar" cue does exactly that. It also might help to think about externally rotating your arms so that the inside of your elbow is facing in towards your ears.

Glad to be of help. Keep at it! Mastering the overhead squat (and, eventually, the snatch) is pretty darn rewarding.
Thanks so much Preston..."breaking the bar" is a very helpful cue and one I will use...I really appreciate you taking the time to "talk" thru this. Thanks again so much!
Old 06-24-2015, 08:50 AM   #17
Miles Roberts

Profile:

Regarding active shoulders and the armpit position and stuff... Something one of the L1 trainers had me do was to hold a 10 lb plate in each hand - overhead like a waiter might carry a tray. Then do some overhead squats holding those overhead. Its harder than it sounds, and it really helped me. He said a personal goal of his is to do 25 of those unbroken with a 25lb plate in each hand.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:51 AM   #18
Alex Burden

Profile:

So Mike, how did it go?

Have you seen any improvement over the past few weeks?
Old 08-20-2015, 07:34 PM   #19
Michael Turner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Burden View Post
So Mike, how did it go?

Have you seen any improvement over the past few weeks?
Hey Alex...thanks very much for checking in and thanks to everyone for all the very helpful tips. Apologies about the delay in replying...I've since moved and was off the grid for a bit. With thanks to the tips, coaching, and practice, I've seen improvement in the OHS and have begun snatching light weights under coaching (my max snatch is an earth-shattering 65 lbs). Am staying focused on technique, not worrying about the #s which will come. Again, really grateful for all the help. Best, Michael
Old 08-20-2015, 07:35 PM   #20
Michael Turner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Roberts View Post
Regarding active shoulders and the armpit position and stuff... Something one of the L1 trainers had me do was to hold a 10 lb plate in each hand - overhead like a waiter might carry a tray. Then do some overhead squats holding those overhead. Its harder than it sounds, and it really helped me. He said a personal goal of his is to do 25 of those unbroken with a 25lb plate in each hand.
Thanks Miles..I will try that!