CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-25-2006, 04:14 AM   #1
R.R.

Profile:  
I wanted to get everyone's opinion on Protein Supplements (such as the ones used by bodybuilders/olympic weightlifters etc.), in relations to gymnastics and general strength training.

It's pretty much obvious that you need an ample supply of protein in your daily diet for strength training and muscle development, and I do consume a lot protein enriched foods during the day (tuna, eggs, lean meat, cottege cheese etc.), but I'm wondering if it's really enough...

I read some information on this topic on the web, and it is mentioned numerous times that specific protein powders contain a more "high quality" protein, which is absorbed better in the body and is more efficient at building the muscles. Now since I want to get as much gain as possible from the hard work I put it in terms of strength development, I was wondering if taking such protein supplements is recommended?

Is anyone using them or has been using them in the past, and can tell me their experiences? Are there any downsides? Because from reading about it, it all looks very good, in fact too good.. so I always like to research these things and be careful before I decide whether I want to try them out.

Thanks!
Roman
Old 04-25-2006, 04:27 AM   #2
Nathan Sobczak

Profile:  
I have been using protein powder in shakes for after I workout mainly bucuz its quick. And since its in lizuid form your body will us it quicker than a sold food becuz your body has to break it down first.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:28 AM   #3
Jesse Woody

Profile:
I occasionally incorporate whey protein into my diet, but this is mostly due to the convenience. I think that if it's possible to get your protein from lean meats then do so. I definitely don't think you're missing much if you don't supplement with protein powsers.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:42 AM   #4
bill fox

Profile:

Protein supplements have always messed with my stomach bad and made me feel bloated. If you're doing any version of the Zone/Paleo type diet recommended here I'd say don't use protein powder as a "food".

I'm using Power Bar's "Recovery" during workouts. 20 carb and 3 protien - is it "working", who knows, but it tastes good so I drink the whole water bottle.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:49 AM   #5
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
I'm on-board w/Jesse. Lean meat/fish unless time dictates that's not possible.

With respect to Bill's experience re: bloating, etc. I've had similar experiences...going to a supplement that was whey isolate rather than whey concentrate fixed the problem for me.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:02 AM   #6
Richard Paul Ham-Williams

Profile:
I personally wouldnt waste your hard earned cash on the supplement industry, dude just eat good foods and if time is an issue then make your own home shake -

1 pint milk
2 eggs
olive oil
1 banana

tastes good, fraction of price, better for you (IMO).
Old 04-25-2006, 03:44 PM   #7
Kevin Kaeating

Profile:
If your gonna spend, I say buy isobolics , i've tried about 20 differnet types of protein and for the taste (raspberry yogurt) and the price and qaulity it's my favorite. It contains whey, isolate (concentrated), miceller caesin ( long lasting)and egg protein not to mention bromozyme (an enzyme) to help you digest it.
Also you want protein and nutrients in your body within the first half hour after your workout to replace low glycogen stores as well your body absorbs alot of more at this time of day. So fast absorbtion shakes are great after a workout, but thats just my opinion from what ive read over the years.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:47 PM   #8
Kemal Eren

Profile:
Roman, where did you hear that protein supplements are higher quality than food-based protein? I ask because I am sure these sources are either biased or ignorant. There's a reason bottles of protein have warnings about using them as a supplement only.

I'm not bashing protein supplementation. In fact, I've been known to enjoy many a protein shake, especially when in a hurry. (I am trying to cut these out, though). Just beware of any claims made by the supplement industry.

For instance, take a look at the ingredients of your favorite brand of proten powder/bar. Notice the patented blend of proteins heading the list? (It's guaranteed to be better than the competitors' blend, of course). Labeling laws require that ingredients be listed in order of descending weight. Patenting this combination of proteins ensures that it appears ahead of sugar, high fructose corn syrup, maltodextrin, etc. Moreover, the blend almost always disguises lower quality proteins included to lower the cost.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:00 PM   #9
R.R.

Profile:  
I'd like to thank everybody for their posts, you've given me some things to consider.

Roman
Old 04-27-2006, 02:56 PM   #10
Roger Smith

Profile:
"""For instance, take a look at the ingredients of your favorite brand of proten powder/bar. Notice the patented blend of proteins heading the list? (It's guaranteed to be better than the competitors' blend, of course). Labeling laws require that ingredients be listed in order of descending weight. Patenting this combination of proteins ensures that it appears ahead of sugar, high fructose corn syrup, maltodextrin, etc. Moreover, the blend almost always disguises lower quality proteins included to lower the cost."""

Interesting.........