CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-26-2012, 07:53 AM   #1
Evan Peikon

Profile:
extra work capacity work

Ive heard a lot of athletes do a 2k-5k row daily at a low intensity (some sprint pieces iced in to occasionally) to get some blood flowing/ get some extra work capacity work.

i was wondering if anyone currently does this, if you've gotten benefit from it etc.

I'm currently following opt style affiliate programing, and my recovery, sleep, and nutrition are on point. That being said, i know i can handle more work without overtraining and being that I'm a full time student i have gaps in my day where id be able to get a rowing session at the school gym.

so i wated to know if this would be a good plan
7:00am wod (only time i can get to affiliate)
3:30pm - rowing
Old 01-26-2012, 09:13 AM   #2
Paulo Santos

Profile:
Re: extra work capacity work

As long as it is as a nice easy pace, you are fine and won't overtrain.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:31 AM   #3
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

I've added rowing as a variant to the easy jog

I enjoy it, feel refreshed after and notice overall improvement in my recovery

That said 5 days a week of 5k wouldn't be good though unless I really took it easy 2:30 pace vs 2:10 or so. Did one last night and have noticed I'm pulling better and with alot more ease. So time is improving on my 'easy' row which makes me wonder how my hard workout would be
Old 01-26-2012, 10:09 AM   #4
Tommy Sittinger

Profile:

Have you considered light (16-24 kg) kettlebell drills? It becomes aerobic after a while. I worked up to 208 reps with a 28kg bell on the USSS 10 min. snatch test, and a 10 min set of unbroken russian swings, about 360 reps give or take. Not on the same day, of course. When I got to that level, I felt no ill effects or any perceived inroads to recovery. Matter of fact, if you practice any programmed deload intervals, kettlebells are an excellent way to go.

Taking Mike Mahler's Level One Kettlebell Workshop last Sept. in Fairfax definitely helped my efficiency.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:16 AM   #5
Evan Peikon

Profile:

@ Paulo and Shawn- id be very easy paced, and it'd be 2k-5k depending on the day and how I'm feeling as well as what my main wod was.

@ tommy- that does sound like a good idea, but I don't have kettle bells at school so it's not an option. And high volume KB wouldn't be good right now because I'm trying to let my ripped hands recover
Old 01-26-2012, 11:37 AM   #6
Anthony Giurato

Profile:

That shouldn't be a problem at all. You may want to start out small and work up to get used to it. Start with either shorter pieces or doing it just 2 or 3 days a week. But aside from that, if you don't mind spending the time I think it's a good idea. Others might have more insight on this, but I don't see why you couldn't do your row a few minutes after your normal WOD if you didn't want to make two trips to the gym. My old rowing coach was very fond of having us do steady-state rowing or erging after doing intense sprints or lifting workouts.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:57 PM   #7
Tommy Sittinger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Peikon View Post
@ Paulo and Shawn- id be very easy paced, and it'd be 2k-5k depending on the day and how I'm feeling as well as what my main wod was.

@ tommy- that does sound like a good idea, but I don't have kettle bells at school so it's not an option. And high volume KB wouldn't be good right now because I'm trying to let my ripped hands recover
You can construct your own T-handle for swings, as found on this site, which is safe for work:

http://rosstraining.com/blog/2008/12...demonstration/

This is also a good alternative for the newer affiliates that don't yet have the resources to buy any kettlebells.

Also, many KB exercises can be done with dumbbells. Maybe you could program some light Turkish Get-ups for work capacity?
Old 01-26-2012, 03:09 PM   #8
Evan Peikon

Profile:

can't carry the t-handle around campus... but anyway I'm not a big kettle bell fan anyway. though i do think they are effective i also think there are more than one way to accomplish something, and that definitely would be my first choice