CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-18-2007, 07:22 PM   #1
Justin Knighten

Profile:
i work for a fire dept., so i pull 24 hour shifts. i've found lately that after runnin that call at 3 am or so, im hungry to the point that it hurts when i get back. i know eating and going straight to bed isn't good, but when im doing crossfit, i stay hungry constantly, i eat every 2-3 hours and the long stretch at night is just too much if i am awake. whats a "healthy" snack to have right before going back to sleep? im not on the zone or anything fancy, i just try to eat decent food avoiding most sugar/grease/etc...
Old 04-18-2007, 09:12 PM   #2
Garrett Smith

Profile:
A spoonful (or several) of raw unsalted almond butter. Works great.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:20 AM   #3
Jordan Glasser

Profile:
Along the same topic, I have a question. Which I am sure DR. G has an answer for, he hasn't let me down yet....
The question is eating before sleep. I often do it because of night shifts, and have no problem with it, but I am curious how or if effects digestion and sleep. And the next question would be, if there are some foods that are better suited for late night eating, excluding the obvious, low GI foods.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:58 PM   #4
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:
I keep kefir in the fridge and take a swig if I need something to satiate myself. teaspoon of almond butter is beforehand.

All the best,
Arden
Old 04-19-2007, 03:44 PM   #5
Leah Turner

Profile:
Where/what brand of raw almond better do any of you recommend. And 1 teaspoon is about 1 fat block then?

Thanks! It sounds really good!
Old 04-19-2007, 07:13 PM   #6
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:
1 tsp is actually 3 fat blocks. I find a little goes a long way though> You can use this link for reference to zone blocks.
http://www.mitymous.net/weights/zoneblox.htm
(wfs)
Old 04-19-2007, 09:17 PM   #7
Chad K. James

Profile:
I was going to post a similar question to this. I am hungry all day every day, no matter how much I have eaten. I aim for the usual 6 meals but with all my lifting and exercise - I still feel like I need more. A few solutions for me have been raw almonds, roman meal bars (100% whole grain), and whole wheat toast with all-fruit jelly. I also enjoy peanut butter and jelly's or for dessert - an EGO (made with whole grain-not the greatest) with all-fruit jelly spread on top, then blueberries, and topped off with whipped cream. I also eat fruit, veggies (w/ranch - bad habit?), and yogurt. I'm just a college aged kid, so I don't know how these foods are for the typical "adult lifestyle" which is partly why I posted them on here. I was wondering if these are good and are these enough? Also, what else could I snack on to be healthy? Sorry to add more questions Justin, but I thought this could help, and it could also bring in some more feedback.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:32 AM   #8
Garrett Smith

Profile:
I use the Trader Joe's raw unsalted almond butter.

It works well as a late night snack due to being only protein and fat (late-night insulin spikes stop the natural and powerful middle-of-the-night growth hormone surge).
Old 04-20-2007, 03:37 PM   #9
Leah Turner

Profile:
I just bought some unsalted almond butter (however I now realized that it is roasted - which I'm guessing naturally follows that it is not raw?)

Anyways 100g of it has 57.5 g Fat

So if 5g = 1 teaspoon
100g/5g = 20
57.5g/20 = 2.75g fat per 5g or per teaspoon
So if a fat block is 3g then one teaspoon is one fat block for me.

Correct??? If so then why above are others having 1 tsp = 3 fat blocks? Does mine being roasted make such a big difference?

Also, is having roasted as opposed to raw fine? As in is it still a favorable fat block w/ Zone and still fine w/ Paleo?
Old 04-20-2007, 03:57 PM   #10
Leah Turner

Profile:
Also, for chad,I am a college student as well, and new here, however I would venture to say that the ranch you are using should go. I suppose P&J could be OKAY if you are using organic peanut butter (which is Zone but not Paleo) and COMPLETELY natural jelly (but im not sure how that will spike insulin w/ GI and GL??? - I know on Zone it is an unfavorable carb so it's not great).

EGO - im not sure b/c I don't know the ingredients, blueberries (fresh) are good, whipped cream I would venture is not so good ...

maybe some others can answer more specifically.

Is the yogurt bio or does it have aspartame, high fructose corn syrup and the like? If so, bad.

The roman meal bars are 41gcarbs/3gprot/2.5gfat - juice concentrate is included (doesn't say natural so I'm guessing not so good, raisins high GI and first ingredient (w/ the original bar), "spices", and "natural vanilla flavor" are terms we should be weary of b/c I take them to mean fake. Otherwise it would list the exact spices and say it was natural vanilla cane from organic such and such. Also contains soy and milk ingredients but doesn't specify what. It's probably not that horrible - better than many, but not good and someone listed 2 bars that looked great here actually - look for those ones...