CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 05-19-2007, 06:02 AM   #1
Jonathan Plaud

Profile:
I have Multiple Sclerosis (MS) and if anyone knows, it attacks the legs. I used to be a runner and now, I can only take a few steps until they feel like rubber. My balance sometimes goes wary when I walk (thank God for fast reflexes).

Is there any way I can build my leg muscles and balance so I may run and walk PROPERLY again?
Old 05-23-2007, 04:33 AM   #2
larry twyford

Profile:
I don't know for sure if this will help, but my wife has MS also. I know there are different types of MS and hers is the one where if she gets hot, she loses her balance and fatigues easily also. The best that has worked for her so far is working out in a cool environment. If she plans on going out, she rests first, puts on cool max type clothing and usually will wear a light neck wrap to help cool her as she gets warmer.

This works for her doing just about any type of a fitness regime. For the most part she does yoga/pilates with light wieghts during the "warm" hours of the day and does her walking or running in the early morning or later in the evenings when it's cooler out side. The biggest help for her is more rest than what is considered normal and avoiding the heat as best one can, or at least take steps to reduce the strain and effects of the heat.

Like I said, I know MS affects different people in different ways, yours sounds close to my wifes, and what I have mentioned works for her.
I hope this works for you, good luck.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:19 PM   #3
Jonathan Plaud

Profile:
Yes, I used to get fatigue and the heat really gets my balance bad. I do my best to stay cool.

Thanks ^_^.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:40 PM   #4
Tim Donahey

Profile:
Re: I have Multiple Sclerosis

...bump...
Old 03-22-2008, 03:45 PM   #5
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
Re: I have Multiple Sclerosis

If you do a search there have been several posts about working with people with MS.

I am a physical therapist asst. and have some experience working with people with MS, though not a lot. Whether or not you will be able to strengthen enough to resume your running and walking will be determined by several factors, but it is most likely reasonable to expect to improve your current condition with properly graded exercise. Expect your progress to be slower and expect to have to take more breaks and work out less frequently than others. Hopefully that encourages you to continue your en devour. If you have any more specific questions feel free to ask.