CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 10-04-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
Cynthia Aita-Holmes

Profile:
Crossfit Games Regionals for Masters?

As a masters Crossfitter, I personally would like to see the CF Games hold Regionals for the masters category as well. I am curious to know if any other masters competitors feel the same way. To support this idea, I propose we look at the percentage of individual category versus masters competitors in the CF Games Open. Approximately 1359 masters women completed the Open competition worldwide compared to 12780 individual women in 2012. In other words, the masters represented about 10% of the individual category. If we apply this percentage to the 60 individual category athletes selected per region for the Regionals, we get 6 for the masters women. Therefore, in my opinion, we could justify having Regionals for 60 masters competitors by selecting the top 3 of each age category by region. The winner of each age category per region would subsequently be selected for the CF Games. Adding Regionals to the masters category would offer a higher level of competition to more athletes and provide “official” judging prior to selecting athletes for the Games. Does anyone out there have any comment or suggestion about this idea?
Old 10-08-2012, 08:25 AM   #2
Troy Peterson

Profile:
Re: Crossfit Games Regionals for Masters?

Would be difficult logistically to justify taking an already packed Regionals weekend (with men, women & team events) and fitting in another 2 heats (men & women) of Masters and changing out weights, equipment etc. And doing that for 6 people really not likely to happen. Maybe at some point if Masters account for larger # of people then maybe.

You're also not taking into account the # of Masters by region - some may not even account for the 10% of total competitors in a given region....then you're really not justified to go thru the effort for 6 people at Regionals.

Our day will come...just not yet.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:47 AM   #3
Brad Welshans

Profile:

As a fellow masters, I would like to see master's regionals eventually (although I'm still not in any danger of ever qualifying). However, at this stage, I agree that the pool of finals-worthy masters is not large enough. In fact, I also take the position that in the elite divisions, it is not necessary to take the top 60 to the regionals. If you look at this year, of the 86 men and women in the elite group that qualified for the finals, only one did not come from the top 30 in their respective region. So the regionals competition could be scaled back and still not compromise the goal of finding the "fittest on earth" (granted, that's not the only reason for having 60 men and women come to the regionals. But the logistical challenges could be eased by backing off to, say, 30 to 40 at each region).
Old 10-09-2012, 11:49 AM   #4
Brad Welshans

Profile:

"only one did not come in the top 30 in their respective region" during the open
Old 10-09-2012, 01:27 PM   #5
Cynthia Aita-Holmes

Profile:

I agree. I think the logistical challenge could be eased by your suggestion. Also, I don't believe that adding a few masters to the Regionals would create a large logistical challenge that could not be handled fairly easily. On the other hand, I agree that it may be difficult to justify Regionals for the few masters that would be selected to participate. However, to solve this problem, it would be possible (or acceptable) to have a greater percentage of masters vs individuals compete at the Regionals. Wouldn't that be a good way to recognize us, "old people" who are still sticking with it, despite the many aches and pains that come with Crossfitting at our age?
Old 10-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #6
Michael Cook

Profile:

I think that there should be regionals for Masters. If you only invite the top 30 instead of top 60 from the Open to go to regionals, and then invite the top 8 from each of the 4 age groups you would end up with about the same number of athletes. You'd eliminate 30 elites, and add 32 masters.

If you add masters to regionals, you have to think about how to determine how to qualify for the Open.

There are 17 regions. Last year only the top 20 in each age group from the Open went to the Games. You could have the top athlete per region, plus the next 3 best athletes qualify and then you'd end up with 20 athletes.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:41 PM   #7
Mark Ritchie

Profile:

The logistics would be nontrivial, but an additional advantage would be that the Masters athletes get a chance to be in competition prior to the games. The way it is structured now, you do the open, and if you qualify, you go straight to the games. That's a big jump from working out in your own home gym, to a larger competition with the logistics, heats, timing, schedule, etc.

But with the growth of the games, I don't see it happening anytime soon -- which is too bad, as I think it would make the Regionals better.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:48 PM   #8
Paul Jasch

Profile:

I am in favor of masters in the regionals. Saying it would be difficult logistically is not the answer I expect from CrossFit. Glassman tells me I should strive to run my affiliate "better" each day and I agree with that.

Dismissing Masters at the Regionals as difficult is not on par with the CrossFit philosophy. Hero WODs are difficult, faster benchmarks are difficult, working out 3 or 4 times a week when you are over 40 is difficult. Hell, it's all difficult but that shouldn't stop us.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:14 PM   #9
Clarence Red

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Jasch View Post
Dismissing Masters at the Regionals as difficult is not on par with the CrossFit philosophy. Hero WODs are difficult, faster benchmarks are difficult, working out 3 or 4 times a week when you are over 40 is difficult. Hell, it's all difficult but that shouldn't stop us.
Well said!!!

I agree that Masters at Regionals is a great idea. As the sport grows there should be more opportunity for masters to compete at the regional level.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:19 AM   #10
Glenn Plomchok

Profile:

Being in the 45-50 age group I agree. Not a big surprise

Everything about CF is growing...regionals should be inclusive of all age groups. Logistics can be managed and should be...eliminating an entire set of competitors due to managing it logistically does not fly with me.

I am not in a position to qualify but I do like seeing where I sit in my age group compared to last year being plugged into the masses with all the young guns. My sights are more realistically set on next year if I can show another year of big improvements like the past 12 months. We shall see...