CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-01-2013, 08:31 AM   #1
Greg Whelan

Profile:
Evening out my pull ups

Okay, I know this has been answered by a combination of many threads.

Its been 3+ years since a car accident left me with lingering issues. My most detrimental was a stent repairing a artery. That stent restricts blood flow to my left arm and my body still does not supply even blood flow yet. This leaves my right arm reacting faster or more easily even.

I want to improve my pull ups most. I tend to end up pulling more with either arm (honestly I have watched either arm do the work), ending up uneven and cutting my reps up at fatigue hits one arm faster.

One friend mentioned doing strict pull ups with even declines. I need to focus on this more right now instead of reps. Does any of you have another method that will help me with this?

*I normally do not mention my injuries like this, but I trust crossfit and its community to help me.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:02 AM   #2
Larry Bruce

Profile:
Re: Evening out my pull ups

This isn't medical advice but if it's there's a limitation to blood flow there may not be a lot that can overcome that. When you contract a muscle you are also restricting blood flow further. Also your arm is above your head so blood has to fight gravity as well. 3 strikes ...

You could work with light weights or bands and high reps in order to improve the endurance capabilities of those muscles, and possibly the improve blood flow as well. Stuff like swimming or using the arm cycle if you have one...

Pullups should involve the lats primarily so make sure you are engaging them. Do full range and make sure your back and shoulders are involved.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:28 AM   #3
Greg Whelan

Profile:
Re: Evening out my pull ups

Larry,

The Trine's arm cycle is basically broken and swimming maybe in the future( not worth the cost for a Y membership and commuting when Trine has a gym, as crappy as it is). I have swam, when able, and I do feel it some there too.

What would you suggest for light weight high rep motions that do not require much hardware?

Technically that issue appears with my handstand pushups too, my left arm/shoulder gives out first.

Thank you