CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-16-2012, 06:39 AM   #1
Pedro Merino

Profile:
What programing should I follow?

Hi guys,

First of all I'd like introduce me. Although I know Crossfit some years ago, I couldn't practise it because there isn't any affiliate in my city, and i hadn't got a big house enough to build a garage gym. I could have some introduccin classes in the closest affiliate a year ago
I'm reallly overweight. I,m 213 pounds with 5' 7''. I dont Know my bodyfat percentage, but I guess It's very high.

I'm living in a bigger house now and i bought an Oly bar, some bumpers, a med ball, some kettlebells, a pull up bar, a jump box, a C2 rower and a pair of rings. I would like to do Crossfit in a more regular way, but I dont know what programing should I follow.

Obviously My aim is losing fat. I think I would need more strength that MP programming offer. I would like doing something like CF Football, but I dont have all the equipment they use. I'm feeling unable to make my own WODs like in CFSB

My questions is: what programing should i follow with my equipment and my objectives ?

Please, feel free to give me any advise you think can help me
Thanks.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:45 AM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: What programing should I follow?

GSLP or 5/3/1 can be done with conditioning 2-3x per week and don't require any fancy equipment aside from a squat rack, barbell, and bench. For conditioning you can just use a CFFB workout or make up something that's short and intense.

How's your nutrition? That will be the biggest factor in your weight loss efforts.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:25 AM   #3
David Owen

Profile:

newb to CF, but not so newb to the whole fitness concept...I agree strongly with above. Changing diet will make a HUGE impact combined with fitness.

read diet suggestions on CF's official website. It's OK to cheat, just try not to do it often. Don't think of it as a diet, think of it as a lifestyle change. #1 offender corn syrup and anything processed. #2 offender processed sugar. Which for some means the hard decision of NO SODA. If you HAVE to have a soda, at least do sierra mist natural, rather have sugar than corn syrup or chemicals. learn to drink coffee black, haha. But seriously look around on CF site and other affiliate-ish sites, most will have good diet recommendations. If you have to have sweets look into a NATURAL form of stevia (not truvia brand).

A horrible concept in a lot of people's minds are, "i'm working out hard-core now, so I can eat whatever the heck I want" and think the workouts are making up for the bad food. Not the case. Not assuming this about you, just throwing it out there.

When making decisions at restaurants, don't be afraid to modify orders to choose the healthiER options. sometimes I like to semi-cheat. I'll have my burger, but no point in the bun or fries. make healthy subsitutes. I still eat pizza once a week, and that's my one full-on cheat.

There's lots of different opinions out there, so no point in me posting mine, just do the research and start today, you will see a HUGE difference in as little as 90 days if you stick to it!

anyway, up late wasting time, and felt I had to post on this, as weight loss is a passion of mine. when I followed my own advice 5 months ago, went from just shy of 210 to 174, just on high intensity weight training and proper diet, just weighed in at 166 a few days ago thanks to CF! Got my 6-pack back!!!

I'm learning a lot about the program too, good luck fellow traveler!
Old 03-17-2012, 08:15 AM   #4
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Merino View Post
My questions is: what programing should i follow with my equipment and my objectives ?
Follow Mainsite (CrossFit.com) programing using BrandX scaling for at least 90 days. This will allow you to get adjusted to CrossFit. After 90 days you will have more personal experience to help you decide who's programing you want to follow. Don't over think the programing in your first 90 days.

Go strict Paleo of Zone on the diet. They are actually fairly close to each other. Paleo restrict foods, Zone involves very careful measuring. Both are nutritional plans that you can follow for life.

I prefer Paleo because you can eat as much as you want of the correct foods. It is also good because it eliminates many of the foods in our diet that are know to cause food allergies and other problems.

Remember to get the best results from CrossFit you will workout on a 3 on 1 off schedule and fix your diet. It is not magic, it is hard work and correct actions that produce our results.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:31 AM   #5
Mauricio Carneiro

Profile:

Definitely follow the main site and scale it down to the levels where you can complete the exercises while focusing on form. When you're confident with your form and built the strength to handle most crossfit movements, then you can start going heavier.

If you have an iPhone, get an app that will help you get the workout of the day (WOD), watch the videos to learn about the different exercises, and most importantly keep track of your times/weights/performance because in this stage, you are going to be improving a lot and you will only notice if you write it down.

I recommend the WOD Panda app because it's the only one that does all that automatically for you and is very clean. I use it every day:

http://www.broadinstitute.org/~carneiro/wodPanda/
Old 03-17-2012, 10:17 AM   #6
Bryan Rowland

Profile:

I agree on brand X off the main site and a clean diet.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:23 AM   #7
Pedro Merino

Profile:

Thank you for your support. You are a very kind community.

Im reading The Paleo Diet and I gonna give it a shot. I will take care of my intakes and I know my diet is by far the cornerstone of my fat lose.

Im gonna try Outlaw Crossfit scaling as necessary. Maybe it can be too challenging for me, but i like the approach they do. I will have to scale the bodyweight exercises but I feel as I need some strength training.

Its difficult for me to go 3 on 1 off because Im a physician and I work in shifts so obviously some days I cant workout but Im trying to workout 5 days a week at least (2 on - 1 off- 3 on- 1 off or something like that).

Id thank your advices and opinions.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:30 PM   #8
Mauricio Carneiro

Profile:

I also read the Paleo Diet book and I must say I was extremely disappointed with it. I felt like it was a "motivational" book written by a ranting teenager. I was expecting something more inline with the "guidebook to sports nutrition" from Nancy Clark, with good science support to the results and a higher level discussion.

I do agree with the paleo nutrition principles though, and follow it mostly. It's just the book that was really quite bad. Maybe worth looking up sources online or finding another book on paleo if you're interested.

Just my 50
Old 03-24-2012, 12:33 AM   #9
Brent E Harsch

Profile:

Welcome, I'm new myself, but as David said the weight loss is also important to me as that is what I struggle with.

I'm a huge supporter of the Paleo Lifestyle. I started about 25lbs heavier than you, but since I'm 3 inches taller, our builds were probably similar. After switching to even a not so perfect Paleo, I dropped 20-25lbs in about 6 weeks. This was mainly from not eating processes carbs, rice, pasta, bread, dairy, potatoes or corn. Only drink water and coffee and the sugar in my coffee is the only sugar I get and I'm going to work on removing that. I think I eat pretty good and never really go hungry and I have tons of energy. I make my breakfast every morning and, IMO, it's pretty awesome. I usually go with diced sweet potato, green peppers, onions, eggs scrambled or some variation of that by adding fresh spinach, cauliflower, steak, sausage, turkey, etc. That starts my day off great everyday.

I know you were asking about programs, but I think you've found that so I just wanted to comment on diet. Also, what are you doing for cardio? I have to run, so I work runs in throughout the week.
34/m/5'10"/215lbs/BF%UNK PR's CFT 785#/DL 375#/1Mile Run 6:21/2km Row 7:56/10K 1:00:52/400M 1:17/Accomplishments Burpee Mile
Old 03-24-2012, 08:08 AM   #10
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauricio Carneiro View Post
I also read the Paleo Diet book and I must say I was extremely disappointed with it. I felt like it was a "motivational" book written by a ranting teenager.
I would guest you read "The Paleo Solution" by an the one who is to remain unnamed on this forum.

You might like "The Paleo Diet" by Loren Cordain better.

I actually tell my members to stay away from Cordain's book because it is such a dry read.

For the purposes of following the diet both books make the same recommendations. Just two different writing styles.