CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 12-08-2008, 02:34 PM   #511
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: Seen at the globo yesterday

SHane, did he pull the bar to about his knees? He may have been doing haltings. This still doesn't explain the bad form though.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:04 PM   #512
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
SHane, did he pull the bar to about his knees? He may have been doing haltings. This still doesn't explain the bad form though.
No he was just pulling it to an arbitrary position which changed each time.

I hope he's okay!
Old 12-08-2008, 05:33 PM   #513
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I got nothing.

Last edited by Jamie J. Skibicki : 12-08-2008 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Sometimes I feel like I'm just padding my post numbers
Old 12-08-2008, 08:52 PM   #514
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
In my school gym:

[*] I set up for deadlifts, and I notice another guy with a DL setup. Strange, I thought I was the only one that deadlifts in this gym. I see he took off his shoes and has like 395# on there. I'm impressed. I see him attempt a pull out of the corner of my eye - terribly rounded back, a jerk, and a hitch - and he doesn't even lift it 6 inches. Okay, so he failed a rep, big deal, right? Then I see him add more plates. Fail again. Add more plates. Fail again. He's well over 400# and still adding more weight. Kept doing this for a few more sets. I didn't get it.
Reminds me of a guy who asked me for deadlift advice after seeing me pull 2xBW for a set of 5 in my globogym uniform. I was between clients and was just finishing so I said "sure, let me see a few reps with light weight"

Dude was thin and quite muscular so I foolishly expected to see half decent form. WRONG!

First off, he's too proud for "light weight" to be anything less than 225. Then he gets in position 8" away from the bar, has his hips way down, points his head straight at the ceiling, makes a small grunting sound, and LAUNCHES the weight off the floor... hips launch up, back curves unbearably, heels come off the floor, and the weight snaps into position at the top. it was like the worst imaginable stiff-leg DL done explosively. I don't think I could come up with an excercise that could more efficiently cause a herniated disc if I tried.

After recovering from shock, spent several minutes explaining why what he was doing was a very bad idea and how to fix it. did some demonstrations, put him in position, convinced him to go a little lighter, all kinds of stuff. But when it came time to try again, he would do exactly the same lift, no matter what I said and no matter his starting position, no matter the weight. After a half hour I told him he really needed to forget everything he knows about the DL and start from scratch, and I'd be happy to work with him on that and several other lifts if he purchased some training sessions. at that point I basically got told to go f*** myself.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:46 AM   #515
Justin Shipley

Profile:

The cleaner at the gym i work at is a teenage girl, 18-19, and she dusts, polishes and vacuums between the hours of 1pm and 3pm to take advantage of the traditionally quietest part of the day.

This is done with i-Pod headphones, chewing gum, and complete lack of awareness that there are others in the gym. The vacuum cleaner cord is about 60m long and can cover from one end of the gym to the other, and the dozen or two clients who train at this time of day rarely escape the session without getting their feet swept out from underneath them at least once, as she yanks the cord on her way around.

A couple of weeks ago, i had a client on the floor busting out tabata pushups when the cleaning girl makes her way past, vacuuming intently.

She bangs the head of the thing up against his feet several times, before requesting in a too loud voice due to her iPod-dulled hearing-

"HOLD IT UP THERE!" -the 'top' of the pushup, while she vroom vroom vrooms and vacuums underneath this poor sweating exhausted guy's chest, belly, and legs!! I stare open-mouthed, but she's oblivious to everything and yells-

"RIGHT, DOWN YOU GO!"- and moves along, but not before yanking on the cord mightily, collecting another trainer's carefully set up circuit stations of swiss balls, dumbells, plyo boxes, medballs, and mats into one huge pile of flotsam and jetsam....

This goes on daily, moreover she won't move bars, plates, benches etc that are left around as she cleans- only clients and gym members
Old 12-09-2008, 11:28 AM   #516
Jeff Pomeroy

Profile:

I've been lurking on the board for a while, getting a kick out of what everyone's brought to the table. Up until yesterday, I hadn't seen anything in my 6 weeks of consistent time in the weight area of my globo that I thought would qualify for the board.

Last night, I was switching on & off in the squat cage with another guy, which was odd by itself since you don't see many people doing any type of oly lifts at my gym. After his last set in the cage, he goes over to the Smith Machine (strike 1), loads it up with 180lb, gets into a BS position, drops down into about 1/2 squat, then bounces between 1/4 squat and 1/2 squat for about 10 reps X 3 sets.

Has anyone seen this "exercise" before? Even being a complete novice, I would think that can't be good for the knees.....
Old 12-09-2008, 08:51 PM   #517
Carter Jee

Profile:

spotted last night..

two guys doing "push presses" with barbells (fixed weight type).

They were facing each other, one was doing the press, the other spotting.

the press started off in the correct starting position, but ended in the correct position....over the spotters head... the spotter was helping through the entire range of motion....

synchronised push presses??
Old 12-09-2008, 09:10 PM   #518
Patrick Haskell

Profile:

Spotted last week, a guy curling in the squat rack offering to spot me after I missed a snatch.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:23 AM   #519
Carter Jee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Haskell View Post
Spotted last week, a guy curling in the squat rack offering to spot me after I missed a snatch.
at least he was kind enough to offer a spot.... maybe next time you can offer him a spot when he curls at the squat rack...
Old 12-10-2008, 08:02 AM   #520
Christian Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Haskell View Post
You should have accepted has offer.
Ask him for a spot next time.

Get Pictures.