CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-27-2006, 09:00 AM   #1
Jibreel Freeland

Profile:
I added coconut as a big part of my diet. Initially I noticed that it caused me to crave it. The more I ate coconut, the more I wanted to eat it. This culminated recently in a low grade alergic response, my throat became noticably swollen and my breathing asthmatic, symptoms that dissapeared immediately following removal of coconut from my diet. However, I have never noticed a problem with fresh raw coconut, only macaroons, often made with coconut oil.

So I'm back on basic paleo, minus the almonds that I formerly enjoyed, which also caused food cravings.

I guess I am stuck with a biology that can only handle meats , fruits, and veggies on any kind of regular basis. This is frustrating. I went to whole foods and felt very limited, but the freedom from food cravings more than makes up for it.

Just thought I'd share.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:38 AM   #2
Scott Kustes

Profile:
In what form did you add coconut? Were you consuming coconut oil, milk, or meat? Is there something else in the macaroons that could be causing your cravings and allergic reaction? (I didn't even know what a macaroon was until a search 15 seconds ago)...What ingredients are you using in your macaroons?
Old 08-27-2006, 11:52 AM   #3
Frank Menendez

Profile:
All things in moderation... one doesn't have to be allergic to a food to get an allergic reaction. Allergic reactions are sometimes culmultative so cycle your foods.

(Message edited by frankm007 on August 27, 2006)
Old 08-27-2006, 10:28 PM   #4
Jibreel Freeland

Profile:
Scott-

My macaroons contained honey and almond meal as well, so I could be wrong when I say that it's coconut, but I think it was because coconut was the main ingredient, (flakes(dried meat) and oil). I don't do to well with roasted almonds either, sprouted okay.

There was such negligable honey in them and I have long eaten honey. The main indicator for me was that I just wanted to eat the macaroons all day long and didn't have an appetite for other foods. I battled this same reaction to gluten containing products for years, so it is a big indicator to me that there is some way my body is reacting to the food.

Frank-

Indeed, all things in moderation...including moderation. On a side note though it seems that beef and chicken are much more hypoallergenic than shellfish, tree nuts, milk, etc.

I think what happened was that coconut in the concentrated form that I was eating it was just to foreign a substabnce fo be ingesting on a daily basis. Again, in its raw form I have never had such problems.
Old 08-28-2006, 03:40 PM   #5
Heather L. Gibbons

Profile:
I would suggest the almonds were the real culprit. Nuts are a common allergen. And I'm guessing it was the honey that caused you to crave more and more. Frankly, honey in even small doses makes me fall asleep immediately.

Also, was the shredded coconut you were eating sweetened? If you buy it in bulk it's usually fine but a lot of prepackaged coconut is sweetened. Consider as well that there may have been some preservative you reacted to.
Old 08-28-2006, 04:23 PM   #6
Jibreel Freeland

Profile:
No sugar in the organic shredded coconut.

My instinct tells me it was the coconut not the almonds, I have been eating almonds for years without swelling or asthmatic reactions.

Old 08-28-2006, 05:05 PM   #7
Yael Grauer

Profile:
Can you list the ingredients in your macaroons? What kind of oil did you use?
Old 08-28-2006, 06:01 PM   #8
Jibreel Freeland

Profile:
Coconut oil.
Egg whites.
Shredded coconut.
Honey.
Almond Meal.
raisins.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:16 PM   #9
Yael Grauer

Profile:
Was it pure cold expeller pressed coconut oil with no additives, no processing, and solid in the jar?
Old 08-28-2006, 07:45 PM   #10
Jibreel Freeland

Profile:
Spectrum brand. It says expeller but not "cold".