CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 10-10-2015, 03:34 AM   #1
Sean J Hunter

Profile:
Senior Coach Job Description / Person Specification

Starting to develop some of the more laborious business documentation.

Senior Coach is the class running, leading any assistant coaches, should the class be big enough to warrant one. But they are not the Head Coach / Operations Manager.

This is how I've broken up the competencies etc thus far. Once I'm satisfied with the model, I'll flesh it out.

Any thoughts?

Out of Class
- Knowledge Base
- Professional Development
- Operations Team Involvement

In Class
- Member Safety
- Teaching Skills
- Coaching Skills
- Class Management
- Relationships
- Leadership

Sean
Old 10-12-2015, 12:50 PM   #2
Brian Diez

Profile:
Re: Senior Coach Job Description / Person Specification

You're hurting my brain.

Why so complicated?

Senior coach has X number of years teaching, X certifications, and is responsible for x.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:56 AM   #3
Sean J Hunter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Diez View Post
You're hurting my brain.

Why so complicated?

Senior coach has X number of years teaching, X certifications, and is responsible for x.
I understand, however a detailed and comprehensive job description and person specification is considered recruiting best practice for a reason.

Sean
Old 10-14-2015, 07:02 AM   #4
Patrick A Horsman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean J Hunter View Post
I understand, however a detailed and comprehensive job description and person specification is considered recruiting best practice for a reason.

Sean
I'm an industrial psychologist by training, so if you want to go down this path then I am more then happy to help you work through it for each job but I will say it is very time comsuming and I'm not sure you get the ROI given the limited number of persons that could potentially fill the position in question - its not like you'll be taking in 300 applicants with a systematic recruiting, screening and selection process.

If you are going to use a job specification then you should be prepared to use actual validated assesment tools in order to select for the qualities you consider important. If you are just going to use resume/job experience information then quite frankly going through this process is just for show and quite pointless.

My recommendation is to get away from compentencies (which are largely just management speak for "things we like") and make it more systematic - start with a task list for the job. Task lists are super valuable for both the employee and the employer and can be used to tease out a job specification later if desired.

Most jobs will have between 15-40 tasks. Some will be things they do every day, some might be once a month or even less. Try not to get bogged down in the individual skills or parts of a larger task e.g. the task isn't "put away kettlebells" it is something more like:

Maintain and tidy and organized gym space by effectively communicating and supervising equipment return requirements, and physically moving and organizing and out of place equipment before, during, and after class.

Most tasks will include descriptors of the core requirement, the environment, any necessary equipment to complete the task, and a description of the action(s) taken by the individual.

I suggest starting here and working down.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:32 AM   #5
Sean J Hunter

Profile:

Great reply Patrick, Thank you!

Much appreciate the offer of help, I'll definitely take you up on that.

And yes your post made me laugh, I often have to undertake a recruitment process, so use recruiting documentation regularly, and you and I are on the same page here. Sometimes the process drives things instead of the goal.

I also plan to tackle it in a similar fashion to what you've suggested.

I'll mainly use the documentation to manage my own expectations of who I'm hiring. And to identify training needs. I also find thorough documentation helps one avoid what I call "recruiting by gut" instead of "recruiting by the numbers".

As an occasional amateur HR guy, I look forward to talking further. If you're open to it, I'll forward my more detailed document once I'm done with it in the next couple of weeks. I'd find your feedback valuable.

Cheers

Sean

Last edited by Sean J Hunter : 10-14-2015 at 11:46 AM.