CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-07-2008, 08:11 PM   #1
Austin Peck

Profile:
Gymnastics CF hybrid?

Hopefully I can get someone like Tyler or Steve Low (or anyone else with extensive gymnastics type knowledge) to answer this one...

Alright, so I was talking to some guys in the frat I am pledging about workouts and CF, and I mentioned that I was buying some Elite II rings. One of the guys tells me he is in a gymnastics club here and takes me along to practice that night, and they have a full on gymnastic facility with rings, bars of all sorts, bouncy-floors everywhere, pits, climbing ropes, paralletts...etc.

Basically, there was a huge amount of equipment that I have always kind of wished I could use in my workouts. The only problem is that there are no weights (save a couple dumbbells) here, so it's basically all gymnastics.

Seeing the type of upper body shape most gymnasts are in (and the fact that I may not always have access to something like this) I was thinking about switching to a more gymnastic focused training (specifically working on rings and possibly pummel horse or parallel bars).

So my question is, If I decide to work on gymnastic type workouts then what would be best for me to maintain my current strength in say squat and deadlift (because I know my upper body will be getting plenty of work)?

And would you suggest focusing on pure gymnastic workouts or trying to make them more CF oriented?

And what type of schedule would you propose for doing this new routine (either switching to full on gymnastic type work with lower body maintenance, or a hybrid of sorts)?

Oh, almost forgot to mention, the Gymnastic gym will be available monday-thursdays, and from about 8-10 PM, if that makes a difference. I have pretty much ruled out doing legs before the gymnastic workout, however. I don't feel like I have enough time with all the work I have to dedicate more than 2 hours to the workouts on a consistent basis.

Thanks for any help, and if you read this Tyler the rings are great. My gymnast friend said he might order a pair so he can do work when he doesn't have access to the facility.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:18 AM   #2
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: Gymnastics CF hybrid?

Do you have any chance to workout morning, mid morning or early afternoon?

Keep on squatting and deadlifting. Perhaps once on the weekend and once during the week. You can easily work in your lifting to times outside of gymnastics. There are also some days you can work things besides tumbling and vaulting. Gymnastics for men is 7 events ( 6 + trampoline ). \

If you have the time to keep your gymnastics and CF seperate, I would. Also if you simply just have the time/money/resources to do seperate workouts and keep your rest and nutrition dialed in so you don't fall apart.

2 hours is fine, somewhat, if you are on your own doing gymnastics. You'd probably gain a lot by working out with someone else or a group or a class, but take what you can get. I'm sure you'll get some help or can watch others at gyms to figure out things. Or ask here or at other gymnastics forums ( aka bug me ).

If you work parallel bars and rings, you will get strong in the upper body. And ideally you want to be strong before you start pommel anyways.

Keep lifting heavy with low reps so you can run and jump like an ape. This will also save you on your landings.

Spend as much as time as you can on trampoline. Progression might be slow, but it's worth the time. Eventually most trampoline skills turn into big skills like release moves on the apparatus besides just general awareness and to get you flipping and twisting. It's a heckuva workout too.

In parting, I would suggest writing down some initial goals are what you are able to do now. A lot of the basics on men's is just learning how to swing. Once you master the swing fundamentals, skills will come easy.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:39 AM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

Basically what Blair said. You can get away without DLing and squatting if you do explosive leg work, but it's not the same.

Obviously, since you don't have a lot of the time in the gym it might be best to do your workouts away from that and just do skill work in the gym. I mean if you want to strength and condition you can but it will use up like half of your precious gym time that you could've spent on working on skills.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:03 PM   #4
Austin Peck

Profile:

Well I am not sure that I want to do all 6 (7) events (they do have a trampoline, but they said they considered it a seperate sport). I was sort of just looking at doing one or two things (Seeing how I have ZERO experience in any, save ring dips during CF, which doesn't really count for anything).

Do you think it would be more beneficial to work on all events and get the benifits from each one? I would be starting from scratch at all of them...And my strength is probably the biggest thing I have going for me. Not that it is amazing or anything, but there is definitely a solid base of strength, and other attributes such as balance and core control are definetely needing improvement.

My goal in doing this is to increase my upper body strength, through the workouts, but developing the balance and core control is probably equally important (and the reason I chose to try gymnastics rather than just strength training to develop the upper body...it comes with the added benifits of the the core control and everything else). So I don't really have a specific skill I am working towards (iron cross, etc), rather than just progressing through as much as I can starting with the simple skills.

I will be able to do this with the friend I mentioned was on the club, so he has offered to kind of coach me up. The other guys on the team will be there as well, and the ones I met seemed like they would be pretty willing to help as well. The first time I went I was just doing dips and pull ups and stuff like that, so I didn't really try anything other the Muscle Ups (got two on my own, and a couple more with spots...but I couldnt seem to keep the rings in tight).
Old 02-08-2008, 01:11 PM   #5
Austin Peck

Profile:

Also, I really can't workout earlier in the day. There is too much stuff I have to do for school...and the 2-2 and a half hours each day is already taking time than CF was before.

But you suggest doing DL and heavy Squats to maintain lower body strength? Should I do this during the days I don't have access to the gymnastic gym?

Which reminds me...if I only have access to it monday-thursday, should I be working all of those days? Or take a day off?

And should I dedicate certain days to skills and others to just doing strength type stuff in there? (HSPU on paralletts, pull ups and dips, whatever else) Or should I just keep working on skills and that will be enough?

For Fri-Sun when the gymnastics gym is closed I was thinking doing DL or Squat heavy friday, and the other one Sunday...Or do you think that would be too much work for a week?

Sorry if these questions seem stupid, but I really have NO experience with any of this, and was just hoping to make the best of this opportunity.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:41 PM   #6
Austin Peck

Profile:

One last note before I run off to class...I have pretty much decided not to make this a hybrid at all anymore. Rather just doing some gymnastics during the time I have and doing whatever else you suggest would be most beneficial during friday-sunday when I don't have access to the gym (although I will have my elite rings...).

But it seems like squat and DL seem to be what I should be doing on the off days...just that if I do one each 2 of the 3 off days I will only be getting one day of rest...And especially as I adjust to this stuff I dunno if I will be able to handle it...
Old 02-08-2008, 01:52 PM   #7
Roger Harrell

Profile:

As far as how often you should be doing it depends on what your goals are with gymnastics. For really developing in the sport 4 days a week is not much. The bulk of the time in a gymnastics gym is skill development. Repetitions, drills and so forth. If you have a good CF base you're starting off far better than most. The CF principles applied to gymnastics focused condition works well. Be sure to work some heavy low rep work on the key strength skills (HSPU, press to handstand, etc) to build sport specific strength. The biggest factor in doing a substantial gymnastics program as well as keeping up with CF is time. You can suppliment gymnastics with CF, or suppliment CF with gymnastics but it's difficult to do both full bore.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:43 PM   #8
Austin Peck

Profile:

I guess my other posts were kind of scatter brained, but basically I am asking this:

What should my work schedule be in my current situation:
1. I have access to the gymnastic gym Monday-Thursday from 8:00-10:30 PM
2. I have access to a normal gym at all times
3. I do not anticipate having enough time to do 2 and a half hours of gymnastics AND something else on Monday-Thursday, so I won't be able to do something in the morning then that gymnastics at night.

and with my current goals:
1. I am not looking to compete in gymnastics
2. I am doing this mostly for the upper body strength, coordination, and core strength that I will develop doing so, even if I never reach a level where I could even consider competeing.
3. However I am Looking to progress through the skills (basically taking my friend's advice and coaching on what to learn first etc)

So I am interested in which gymnastic events I should focus on, whether I should do strength type training when I am at the Gymastic practices, or just using my elite rings on a squat rack and doing HSPU against the wall at the gym during Friday-Sunday when I won't have access to the full gymnastics gym.

And what type of schedule would you propose? Working all of the events every day? Or doing certain ones each day to allow for some recooperation?

Last edited by Austin Peck : 02-08-2008 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:05 PM   #9
Steven Low

Profile:

Hmm, well that limits some things.

Basically what you're probably gonna have to go with is about 1.5-2 hours to work on gymnastics stuff and then about 30-60 minutes to do strength & conditioning more or less depending on what you want to do. A combo of event specific strength work + CF would work well.

Cater your events to what you're interested in though... not what we think you should do. It's your life you know..
Old 02-09-2008, 12:41 AM   #10
Austin Peck

Profile:

alright, well I am pretty open to any event. I think the rings and pumell horse look pretty fun, maybe parallel bars too.

I want to do events that will not only be fun to try out,but that will help with my strength gains and overall athleticism as well.

how many events would you suggest I focus on given the time restraints I have?

And what type of schedule for working them? A little of each for each day, or seperate them and focus on one a day?

And I am assuming the gymnastic specific strength training would come after the skill work on the monday-thursday's when I have access, and then whatever lower body work I want to do Friday-sunday?

How much rest am I going to be needing with this? Should I do monday-thursday gymnastic then take a day off and do all the lower body stuff on saturday and take sunday off? Or only one day of rest a week?