CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-26-2010, 04:22 PM   #1
Ryan DeBell

Profile:
Wrist/hand pain from thrusters

So approx. 4 weeks ago I did a wod with 135# thrusters and afterwards I had really bad pain between the 4th and 5th metatarsals in my hand during extension at the end of my wrist's ROM. This is troublesome for thrusters....

4 weeks went by and it got better. Then I did another wod with 135# thrusters and I got the same pain again (I am thinking it might be a sprain of some ligaments in there, or maybe the interossei or lumbricals are f'ed?).

I am beginning to think that my thruster form when the thrusters get heavy is the culprit.

So when you go down during the front squat part of a thruster, is it ideal to have the bar in a fully racked position with your humerus parallel to the ground? That is how I was doing it and then trying to transition to having a more vertical forearm. But it seems that having the bar up high on my hand with a very far extended wrist is causing the pain. So is it better to have the bar fully racked in a thruster or kind of hold it in a better position in the hands, like how you would regrip for the jerk part of a clean and jerk? It seems weird now that I think about it to try to explode up into a thruster when the arm and the forearm are both basically parallel to the ground..any thoughts/comments are appreciated.

Thanks!!
Old 03-26-2010, 06:12 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Wrist/hand pain from thrusters

Well, thrusters are kinda of a bastardized movement...

Ideally when you come up from a front squat you can have the time to switch grip like you would for C&J.

But since thrusters make you combine the movement you can't mechanically have good hand position for both movements... with the extended wrists and elbows up makes front squat more efficient (chest up and extended) but obviouisly does not help for the jerking part... and vice versa.

You probably need to work on your wrist mobility and strength though. This is the case for most people as they have very inflexible wrists, especially with weak extensors and mobility in the opposite direction.

You need both to keep strength imbalances at bay, and have the joint operate correct
Old 03-26-2010, 06:25 PM   #3
Ryan DeBell

Profile:

So maybe I should sacrifice the good front squatting position for one that is better for the wrist.

Is it possible to have a smooth transition during the standing up part of the thruster into a strong pressing position? And if so, at what point during the movement would you lower your elbows?
Old 03-26-2010, 06:33 PM   #4
Ryan DeBell

Profile:

By the way, I read on your site that you are in PT school. How far along are you? I just finished my first quarter of chiropractic school.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:51 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan DeBell View Post
So maybe I should sacrifice the good front squatting position for one that is better for the wrist.

Is it possible to have a smooth transition during the standing up part of the thruster into a strong pressing position? And if so, at what point during the movement would you lower your elbows?
I suppose you can practice it... such as the getting enough speed in the front squat where the bar bounces like it would for C&J.... then readjust your hands really fast and push it overhead.

That's your best bet unless you want to sacrifice technique for one or the other...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan DeBell View Post
By the way, I read on your site that you are in PT school. How far along are you? I just finished my first quarter of chiropractic school.
I'm starting this May...