CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 04-14-2011, 07:47 AM   #1
Kent Newland

Profile:
Why do you like Krav Maga?

I've read on this forum and a couple other message boards questions about systems to study for military or police combatives, and also heard from people in real life the same answer. A guy asks what system he should invest in to learn martial arts and combatives for military or otherwise, and there is at least one person who answers with Krav Maga. One of the regulars on another forum is a die-hard Krav Maga fan, who is constantly posting links of supposed Krav Maga training vids on youtube. I've asked him this question, and thus far have not received a straight answer.

I'm a 12 year veteran of the Army and the Army National Guard, and I've been training in various martial arts and systems for the past 8 years. My background is primarily Traditional Korean Hapkido, Inosanto-Lacoste Kali, and Hock Hocheim's Close Quarter Combatives, as well as level one of the Army Combatives Program.

My question is this: For those of you who practice Krav Maga (KM) regularly, and take classes, and are also quick to recommend it to others, why is it that you do so? Why do you like it, and why do you feel others should take up KM? If there was a KM class in my area I would probably go check it out, but there is not. I'm not even sure there is a KM class in the state of Michigan.

To be fair, I'll answer my own question in regards to the systems and arts that I pursue. I initially started Filipino Martial Arts simply out of the coolness factor of training with weapons, including knives. Since then, I've developed my skill level in Kali to the point where I have employed techniques in fights and also when subduing and detaining possible bad guys overseas. Kali combines with Hocheim's CQC almost effortlessly, and allows me to be creative in my training without becoming regimented, and solve problems as I encounter them. I also have the training and experience to use my pocket-knife for more than opening MREs now, thanks to Kali and Close Quarter Combatives. For being in the military especially, CQC strips away a lot of what I consider to be non-essential in a fight, and gets straight to the meat and potatoes of fighting. That is what I like about the systems that I pursue, and the benefit I get out of them.

Kent
Old 04-14-2011, 09:52 PM   #2
Doug Blankenship

Profile:
Re: Why do you like Krav Maga?

There are a few Krav Maga places in MI.

I personally have never done it, but know a few people who have. They enjoy it more for the workout aspect of it. My military friends on the other hand like it for the no BS approach to fighting and handling business when need be.

LINK WFS
Old 04-15-2011, 06:22 PM   #3
Troy Becker

Profile:

I don't train in it, but I like it because all it does is hurt people a lot and efficiently.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:03 AM   #4
Carl Amolat

Profile:

In my case (I train out of Universal Martial Arts Center, with a Darren Levine associated school in California) I like it because of it's efficiency and no BS approach to hand to hand fighting.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:28 AM   #5
Amir Student

Profile:

Hi Kent,

First let me say hi from sunny Tel-Aviv. I'm glad I found this place. Finally a deeper discussion of Krav Maga than "Jennifer Lopez uses it"....

her'e my 2 cent's worth, by no means a complete analysis, but some thoughts:

1. Krav Maga was founded by IMI Lichtenfeld and is being constantly updated to meet today's needs (there are whole chapters on defenses for pistols, firearms, and in the military and paramilitary sections of Krav Maga (it's divided into Civilian, Military, and 3rd Party protection) also dealing with suicide bombers and other terrorism situations. So point one would be "an up-to-date fighting system which has re-evaluation of the techniques as one of it's core competencies. If a technique does not work, it gets thrown out of the curriculum. The system in constantly updating and learning from real-life experience of it's practitioners.

2. The system is easy to learn - Eyal Yanilov -one of IMI's direct student and head of KMG (Krav Maga Global) told me in a conversation, that if one applied himself, he could learn most of the techniques for Krav Maga within 3 years. This is the reason it's being applied in the IDF: it's very simple to teach and learn. the system centers around the body's natural movements and reactions, and has the practitioners' survival as it's core values.

Hope this helps, and I would love to continue the discussion.

Cheers.

Amir
Old 04-26-2011, 11:58 AM   #6
Dan Strametz

Profile:

Well, you just heard it from the horses mouth. Amir knows what he's talking about.

I teach KM, and the big benefits I see is teaching someone aggression. From you're fighting stance to always moving forward, at no point is anything passive. A true Self Defense System. I also believe you need to study and take Tony Blauer's PDR training. Bridge the oh **** gap to your own.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:26 PM   #7
James lee

Profile:

I've been doing KM for about 14 years now, teaching for 8 and i am passionate about it as I am about CrossFit. Just as i believe that CF is the best general fitness program, I believe that KM is the best in the self defense realm. The beauty of KM is that it's a system that is meant to bring you to a high level of proficiency in a short time as mention in other post. When taught correctly, it should teach you how to access, react, and defend/destroy the immediate treat and the opponent along with learning how to turn on that switch from being nice to all out save your life aggression. I have not been in a real fight in a long time but what i know is that if it does go down, I will have no problem doing what i need to do do save my life. This is how you should feel if you are taking Krav Maga.

Be careful who you train with though.. there are lots of fakers out there just using the Krav Maga name and teaching you their own stuff. Krav Maga is to the point, basic, and anyone should be able to do it. If they do flying armbars.... it's not Krav Maga. It's cool Jits but not Krav

@ Amir - I getting the chance to go to Israel later this year and earn my teaching credential from the Wingate Academy so wish me luck!

James
Old 05-10-2011, 03:08 PM   #8
John A. Smith

Profile:

I like the non-sport aspect of it. There are not a bunch of fancy moves or rules. The basic combatives are fairly simple to learn and straight forward. You only learn techniques that have practical street application. KM also put me in the mind set to strike or gouge areas of an attackers body instinctively that I normally wouldn't.

My only criticism of KM is it does not teach enough boxing. Punches are more powerful than palm strikes in my opinion.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:25 PM   #9
Kent Newland

Profile:

Apologies, I haven't been watching this thread as much as some other ones.

Amir,

You make a couple of excellent points in favor of KM, mostly that it is constantly being updated. I find that the most comprehensive systems are updated regularly, which drives the instructors to distraction, but also keeps the system cutting edge. Dan Inosanto continually updates the Lacoste-Inosanto Kali as well.

John,

Punches can be very powerful, but an open handed slap also carries tremendous power, doesn't run as great a risk of fracturing the bones of the hand, and carries a significant psychological impact as well.

I'm in the military, so I don't do a lot of sport training, other than just for fun, and then it's mostly Judo or boxing.

On the subject of Tony Blauer, I have his PDR video and handout, and I'm singularly unimpressed.

Kent
Old 05-10-2011, 05:37 PM   #10
Troy Becker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Newland View Post
Punches can be very powerful, but an open handed slap also carries tremendous power, doesn't run as great a risk of fracturing the bones of the hand, and carries a significant psychological impact as well.

On the subject of Tony Blauer, I have his PDR video and handout, and I'm singularly unimpressed.
Google something called a "ridge hand." I like it as a replacement for a hook punch.

Care to elaborate on what you don't like about Tony Blauer? I'd like to hear your thoughts on that.