CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 06-04-2014, 02:30 PM   #21
Joe Spinelli

Profile:
Re: How did your "Murph" go?

That is very cool. How old is your son?

I'm excited to have worked out a deal to have my daughter train with me at my box this summer when she is out of school. She is almost 12 and plays club soccer. She will benefit a lot I think from a little bit of strength work and some mental toughness - confidence can help in any endeavor!
Old 06-04-2014, 06:00 PM   #22
Diana Alt

Profile:

What is the buttercup version?
Old 06-06-2014, 09:26 AM   #23
Matt A. Windsor

Profile:

It went...nowhere. LOL (They did Murph @ our box, and it was a great turnout, but as I'm recovering from a right arm distal biceps tendon tear, I had to sit it out.)
Old 06-10-2014, 06:28 PM   #24
Jason Darrow

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Spinelli View Post
That is very cool. How old is your son?

I'm excited to have worked out a deal to have my daughter train with me at my box this summer when she is out of school. She is almost 12 and plays club soccer. She will benefit a lot I think from a little bit of strength work and some mental toughness - confidence can help in any endeavor!
My son is 10 and also plays soccer. He benefits from it a lot and he also loves it.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:31 PM   #25
Jason Darrow

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Alt View Post
What is the buttercup version?
1/2 mile run
25 pull ups
50 push ups
75 squats
1/2 mile run
Old 05-26-2015, 01:30 PM   #26
Tighe Crovetti

Profile:

I know I'm being a narc, but I have to ask the population....

In a FB thread, a guy posted that he did Murph in 29:xx, at the age of 54, with a 40# vest. I'm pretty sure it's this guy:

http://games.crossfit.com/athlete/178433

On FB he said he's just not good with a barbell/oly lifts, and that he's just really good at bodyweight movements. He said he has done a 27-round Cindy more than once. All fine and good, but at 163# bodyweight, adding 40# is significant, and to do 20 rounds of Cindy at essentially the same pace, AND throw in two mile runs at, what, a 5-minute pace, when he claims just an 18-minute 5k (which is good, don't get me wrong, but that's a 6-ish minute pace having NOT just done a Cindy. He did the Open scaled except for 15.4 (only 3 HSPU, which backs up the 'no good with a barbell' thing).

My box has a 50-54 guy who finished the Masters qualifier top 10 in the world, who is pretty good with a barbell but bodyweight and metcon is his specialty, and I don't think he managed that time without any vest. I just.....man.....is this guy's claim really possible???
Old 05-27-2015, 09:08 AM   #27
Victor J McQuaide

Profile:

Under 30 min might be possible by some running freak who can do 30+ rounds of cindy..

I am a good runner under 6 min pace and can do 30 rounds of cindy.

Adding that 20# vest much less a 40# vest would like to see that one.

My best Murph is a 34:30 with the 20#..

I do wonder what the best time for Murph is?
Old 05-27-2015, 10:49 AM   #28
Tighe Crovetti

Profile:

It's the 40# vest that gets me. That is far from a trivial addition, it turns the workout into a much more muscle-fatigue focused workout, as opposed to "just bodyweight." I am generally "strong" on pullups (in terms of strength, not reps). I have done a 100# pullup, ~50% of my bodyweight. I'm trying to imagine how many I could do at 25% of my bodyweight, ~50#, or conversely, what 100 at that weight would feel like, because that's the percentage of BW this guy added.

After a mile run with that weight added.

While also doing 200 pushups and 300 squats with that weight added.

And then finishing with a mile run with that weight added.

And being 12 years older.

And doing it all 20 minutes faster than I currently do Murph. I admit, endurance wods are not my thing, but at the risk of being immodest, I'm not THAT shabby at this, lol. I did the Open all Rx, just missed cracking top 500 in the world in my age range (40-44).....and this is kinda blowing my mind. A little of this may be driven by some discontent with some reps I saw at the event where I did it. I saw a lot of shallow squats and snaked pushups. I prided myself on every single rep, as with any workout, and I'm just wondering if this can actually be real. This guy is claiming to have destroyed just about any Murph score I've heard about, at Rx+.
Old 05-31-2015, 05:57 PM   #29
Glenn Plomchok

Profile:

I doubt a lot of the times I see posted...and mainly due to ROM standards and you see a lot of very questionable reps on push ups and depth on squats.

It's a CF workout I have done 4x. Once no vest, 3 with vest. I track my time as like everyone, I like to see improvement but I cannot get over folks cutting ROM on this wod. For the record, I was 48:20 this year. A minute and change improvement from last year. Felt better the entire way through but it wrecked me for 2.5 days after. Did it partitioned. Mile times were 8:21 and a little under 10 for second mile. Paced the run...not a great runner like Vic so I can't afford to kill myself early. All BW stuff felt great.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:58 PM   #30
Michael Cook

Profile:

First time with a vest, and finished in 42:26.

Split up the pull ups, push ups and squats in to 20 rounds of Cindy.

The vest was brutal on the run, but not too hard on the 20 rounds of Cindy. Next year, I'll probably do it in 15 rounds instead of 20 and shoot for sub 40.