CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-12-2004, 01:30 PM   #1
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Caught this one while watching the Discovery channel. Looks like women aren't the only ones putting silicone into their bodies. And I thought bodybuilders had a bunch of nonfunctional mass throughout their bodies. At least for them, it's actually real muscle (I hope, anyway). The guy who got these was a make-up artist for Hollywood entertainers. Given his background, I guess it's no surprise he made the form over function choice.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:57 PM   #2
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
my understanding is that calf and pec implants were quite the rage with bodybuilders a few years back. I'm sure it hasn't changed. biceps and glutes... it's all the same.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:58 PM   #3
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
I've also seen calf implants and pectoral implants for guys. What nonesense.

(Of course, I can see the need for these medical devices for reconstructive surgery, repairing birth defects, etc)
Old 08-12-2004, 03:08 PM   #4
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
I have seen the hard plastic calf implants before. Why am I not suprised?

On a similar note: I wonder if they will soon be doing the surgeries that reconnect tendons to give better mechanical advantage for muscles? I remember reading about some eastern European athletes having this done.
Old 08-13-2004, 06:46 AM   #5
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
I used to date a gal that wanted implants (though given her height/body type she was already perfectly built) desperately. I thought, and still think, that implants are ridiculous. Anyway...I asked her once when we were on the subject of plastic surgery if she'd ever date a guy who'd gotten pec implants. She laughed and said "no way, that'd just mean he was totally conceited".

I then pointed out to her the hypocrisy of her views. As you can imagine, we didn't date very long...
Old 08-16-2004, 05:53 AM   #6
Barry Cooper

Profile:
My understanding is that AH-nold had calf implants. You hear a lot of things, so take that with a grain of salt. I haven't read up on him extensively due to lack of interest. He's much more interesting now.
Old 08-16-2004, 06:13 AM   #7
Brian Hand

Profile:

Barry, I am pretty sure that is just a tall tale. I guess I know a little about Arnold, from books and magazines etc. He showed up in the US with relatively weak calves in the late 60's. He was photographed an awful lot back then, probably too much to sneak in that surgery.

I remember seeing an article on these implants many years ago, they were pretty tiny. The poor guy who got them was some skinny kid, the implants were very tiny, like the size of two big cigars. He had no calves before surgery and couldn't walk for a long time after the surgery. Saddest part was the "after" photos looked like "before" photos.

The new thing in bodybuilding is Synthol, an oil that can be injected into a muscle and takes a while to dissipate. If you haven't seen this clown, you're in for a treat:

http://www.geocities.com/gregvalentinofanclub/

We are probably days away from the end of civilization.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:44 AM   #8
Barry Cooper

Profile:
I'll probably get myself in trouble for saying this, but it's my belief that people that go to that extent to define themselves through their bodies are probably psychologically quite similar to anorexics. Anorexics will literally kill themselves to achieve their ideal body image, and that is also what many bodybuilders do. Synthol can't be healthy.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:07 AM   #9
Barry Cooper

Profile:
Noodling around, as I do, I found this:
http://inventors.about.com/library/i...sillyputty.htm

I bet silicone oil is what they are injecting. Add boric acid, and you have a very resilient muscle. Hell, it would bounce and trace cartoons!!
Old 08-16-2004, 10:26 AM   #10
Brian Hand

Profile:

Barry, you're right about that, I have heard of a disorder referred to as "reverse anorexia" or "megarexia", the similarities go so far that big bodybuilders will look in the mirror and see a fat, out of shape person. Anyone who has spent much time around bodybuilders will tell you most of them are a little bit touched.