CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 12-09-2005, 10:01 AM   #1
Jason Erickson

Profile:
Note: If you don't have the basic Clubbell Swing mastered, don't mess with any of these movements.

Two exercises that I love to hate are the Rock-It and the Hydra.

The Rock-It is performed with evenly weighted Clubbells in each hand, and you basically do partial squats (pressing from the center of the foot) to drive the movement. The Clubbells never swing very high above knee level, and can be lower depending on how much hip drive you generate.

The Hydra is differentiated from the Rock-It by the fact that you are basically doing full (or reasonably deep) squats to drive the movement, and the Clubbells will swing much higher to the front and to the back.

The basic versions (vid clips can be found in other threads on these forums) are challenging enough for most people. For those who have mastered them, the jumping versions are much tougher. (Ask Lynne and Kelly about trying them in August!) Jumping versions are differentiated from the basic versions by the amount of explosive vertical drive when coming out of your squat. The drive is strictly vertical; your directional travel is a result of the swinging of your Clubbells while you are in midair. Your arms do not power the Clubbells, they merely hold onto them.

Here's a clip showing a standard Jumping Rock-It:

Here's a clip showing a standard Jumping Hydra:

When you have the basic version mastered, you can try the jumping version. When you feel comfortable with that, you can set distance goals.

Enjoy!}
Attached Files
File Type: email jasonjumpinghydra.avi (1.91 MB, 298 views)
Old 12-17-2005, 08:40 AM   #2
Wayne "Scrapper" Fisher
Member Wayne

Profile:
I love the jumping rocket drill! I used to make my clients do that on beach pt days.

http://www.trainforstrength.com/tfs.shtml

It's the bottom video. Good stuff! Thanks for reminding me of it. I'm trying to get a kettlebell version of this down as well.

I'll keep you posted.

SCRAP
Old 12-17-2005, 09:38 AM   #3
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
I will confirm...they are killers! Very deceptive. And of course, you can always do them in reverse - jumping backwards. Good fun.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:35 AM   #4
Jason Erickson

Profile:
Scrapper - Sweet torture! I've toyed with doing a KB version too, but go for it. My CB work is currently more critical than developing new KB stuff. Please post a vid when you have the kinks worked out.

Lynne - Damn right! You can do them to the front, back, or to the side (with some modifications). Thank heavens I was working these a lot after August... we did LOADS of these at CST Theta in November, and I handled them better than most.

I'm revising the THESAURUS WOD to 100 yards of Jumping Hydras (any variation). 50 yards is no longer enough.:lol:
Old 12-20-2005, 04:29 AM   #5
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Sideways?!? Do you have a video clip of that? Youch!
Old 12-21-2005, 11:49 PM   #6
Jason Erickson

Profile:
Nope, haven't filmed that one yet. Why? Have you already mastered the ones I posted? Are they too easy for you?:kiss:
Old 12-22-2005, 01:43 AM   #7
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Waay too easy...LOL. No, I just can't picture how to do 'em without mangling myself. Forward and back are plenty of fun and challenge, but sideways sounds like double mills: I'd cripple myself trying to figure it out!
Old 12-22-2005, 03:50 PM   #8
David Wood

Profile:

Ok, I'm having trouble seeing the difference between the two videos. Not doubting that they're both hard, but I can't see any signficant difference . . . can someone enlighten me?
Old 12-23-2005, 02:35 AM   #9
Jason Erickson

Profile:
Watch the degree of flexion in my knees and the height to which the Clubbells swing, you will see a marked difference between the two clips. It may seem like a small difference, but the body feels it as a big change.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:30 AM   #10
David Wood

Profile:

OK, got it.

Given that Clubbells aren't in my equipment budget yet, what alternatives would you suggest?

Could this be done with, say, 20-pound DBs in each hand? (Probably would hit the hips on the swing, though . . .)