CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-11-2004, 08:33 PM   #1
FRANCO BELCASSIO

Profile:

anyone here very flexible?
1:] how long do you hold each stretch for and how many times do you repeat it in order to gain max flexability in the full front and side splits like you see in many gymnast and martial artist?
2:] How many times per day do you stretch?
Old 02-12-2004, 08:27 AM   #2
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Stretching often is the key to rapid flexibility gains. Hold stretch positions up to 30 seconds at a time. Roll, and rock in positions gently to stretch all aspects of the position. Stretch AFTER working out to gain flexibility. Stretching before is more for warm up and injury prevention.

I am a good case study in stretching. When I started gymnastics I couldn't touch my toes (15 yrs old). After a couple years of gymnastics approx 3 days a week I had decent flexibility from a general populous standpoint, but still was a long way from splits, and real flexibility. Then I got to college was training daily, and coaching. Resulted in me stretching 5 times a day. Got my splits flat and comfortable within weeks and very good stable flexibility.

I know it's tough to do but if you can find 3 15 minute blocks of time every day to stretch you will gain flexibility very rapidly.
Old 02-12-2004, 11:46 AM   #3
FRANCO BELCASSIO

Profile:

thanks for your input, i see this must be common practice among many gymnast is to stretch MANY times during the day in order to achieve max flexability very quickly, must be from the muscles always in a stretched state, they loosen up.
thanks