CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-02-2011, 12:12 PM   #1
Justin Wang

Profile:
weight gain diet advice

Hey all,

I've started doing crossfit at a box recently, about 2 weeks in. I'm 5'10", 140lb, so definitely on the very skinny side. My goal is not to bulk but to gain lean mass over time. My assumption is that there are probably very few 140 pound crossfitters doing RX'ed WOD's. So if I can eventually get up to RX'ed WOD's, my body can't help but to adapt and grow.

Anyways, here is my typical paleo day:
10 AM breakfast: 1/2 lb bacon + 4 egg omelette with onions, tomatoes, cauliflower, deli turkey
1 PM lunch: 1 lb grass fed ground beef
3 PM snack: almonds and unsweetened applesauce
6 PM WOD
7 PM dinner: 1 lb grass fed ground beef/bison/pork roast/salmon

I also eat veggies (unlisted because they are not as relevant for weight gain) and get carbs with dinner after my WOD in the form of one sweet potato or 12 oz of kelp noodles. I feel like I'm eating enough, but I've lost two pounds over the last week. Any critiques or advice for my diet and for weight gain? Thanks in advance!
Old 12-02-2011, 12:19 PM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: weight gain diet advice

More fat and more carbs. -- Katherine
Old 12-02-2011, 12:19 PM   #3
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Don't forget to lift heavy, add in a couple of protein shakes.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:53 PM   #4
Justin Wang

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
More fat and more carbs. -- Katherine
So more fruits and sweet potatoes. Any other high-denstiy carb source suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I also cook in olive oil/coconut oil, and get fattier cuts of meat (ground beef 85/15, for example). I'll throw in some avocado slices and fish oil pills for good measure.

Do you have any other advice, or would you care to expand or critique further? Thanks for the fast response!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
Don't forget to lift heavy, add in a couple of protein shakes.
Since I workout at a box, I don't really get to choose my own workouts, but I trust my coaches' programming. I've read that crossfit is a great equalizer - people who are underweight tend to fill out, and overweight tend to drop poundage. I'm hoping this is true.

I'm also trying to avoid protein powder shakes - I've tried cytogainer, ON whey and ON 2:1 recovery and haven't seen much benefit. Unless you are talking about natural protein shakes made with eggs and such. But am I not getting enough protein with 2.5+ pounds of meat a day?

Thanks!

Last edited by Justin Wang : 12-02-2011 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:54 PM   #5
Seth Leaman

Profile:

More carbs!! Protein looks fine, fat seems good too. More starchy carbs from yams or tubers or rice, or sugar from fruit will help your performance, and at least for me, are easier to consumer when feeling full. If you aren't gaining, you need to eat more. Plain and simple
Old 12-02-2011, 05:23 PM   #6
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

if you want to do it the easy way, just keep eating a little more every week till you start seeing the results you want. if you start to get a little too much then back off just a tad.

the best way is to really get serious about tracking your calories. make sure you eat the same amounts of calories and macro's everyday. then increase the amount by 10% every two weeks. two weeks later do it again. keep doing it until you get where you need to be.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:39 PM   #7
Preston Sprimont

Profile:

I agree that you need more carbs. You have plenty of protein in there at 2.5 pounds per day (I'd hate to pay your grocery bill ).

If you are serious about gaining weight and improving performance, start throwing in some rice, potatoes, fruit (especially bananas), and milk. From what you posted of your diet, it sounds like you're probably getting 50g of carbs a day. That's not enough in my opinion, especially for weight gain.
Also, eat all the time.

Though everyone is different and it's impossible to know until you try it, I'd be willing to bet that at your stature, you will not need to worry about gaining any fat with an increase in calories and carbs--your gains will likely be of the lean variety.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:13 PM   #8
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Wang View Post
So more fruits and sweet potatoes. Any other high-denstiy carb source suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I also cook in olive oil/coconut oil, and get fattier cuts of meat (ground beef 85/15, for example). I'll throw in some avocado slices and fish oil pills for good measure.

Do you have any other advice, or would you care to expand or critique further? Thanks for the fast response!

Since I workout at a box, I don't really get to choose my own workouts, but I trust my coaches' programming. I've read that crossfit is a great equalizer - people who are underweight tend to fill out, and overweight tend to drop poundage. I'm hoping this is true.

I'm also trying to avoid protein powder shakes - I've tried cytogainer, ON whey and ON 2:1 recovery and haven't seen much benefit. Unless you are talking about natural protein shakes made with eggs and such. But am I not getting enough protein with 2.5+ pounds of meat a day?

Thanks!
Not if they're following poor programming and undereating. More details about your situation would be helpful.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:43 PM   #9
Ben Joven

Profile:

Deadlift and squat heavy 5x5 once a week...eat 250 grams of protien a day and try and throw some dairy (whey/whole milk) and see how you do with it.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:45 PM   #10
Rob Samuels

Profile:  

I'm pretty much in line with everybody else when I say carbs. Basic advice for gaining muscular bodyweight is always at least a a gram+ protein per lb. Then just mess with the fat and carbs. Right now you are on an excellent diet to do exactly the opposite of what you are trying to do. A Paleo diet as far as cutting out the crap is fine but you are not going to gain weight of any kind eating meat and veggies I dont care what anyone says. More fruit will help but, dude your skinny live a little.

Potato's, rice and beans are great adders as is milk if you have no issues with it and some grains, again based on tolerances. I would guess based on your height and weight you probably dont have issues with dairy and wheat in which case the real answer is simply eat as much food as you can stuff in your gullet and monitor your fat levels. You start getting a little too much chub, clean up the diet a bit.