CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-25-2011, 01:38 PM   #1
Lauren Mackenzie

Profile:
Paleo Diet for weight gain???

Just out of interest, what do people think of the Paleo Diet as a method to gain weight (ie strength and lean muscle mass etc)?

Most sources advocate the Paleo style of eating as a great way to lose weight or maintain a healthy physique but there is not much info out there to say if it is good for weight gain.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:41 PM   #2
Chris Walls

Profile:
Re: Paleo Diet for weight gain???

I don't see why it wouldn't be fine. Just eat more. Also, eat more carbohydrates, yams, sweet potatoes, fruit, etc...

Drinking a few extra cans of coconut milk a day would up the calories/weight gain a bit.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:41 PM   #3
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

My personal experience has been that of miserable failure when trying to gain weight on a Paleo diet.

But, I had some pretty sweet abz when I was Paleo and meth addict lean.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:49 PM   #4
Andrew James

Profile:

I tried Paleo for a time and got way too skinny. Certainly didn't work for me to gain weight no matter how much fat I added.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:23 PM   #5
Emily Mattes

Profile:

It's all a matter of appetite and your capacity to eat a lot. I have a fairly heavy workout schedule and still have no problems gaining weight on Paleo (or any other diet, for that matter). All you need is a nut butter addiction and you're golden.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:25 PM   #6
Richard Allen Pagel

Profile:

You have to eat a ton do gain weight eating strict paleo
Old 05-25-2011, 02:26 PM   #7
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
My personal experience has been that of miserable failure when trying to gain weight on a Paleo diet.

But, I had some pretty sweet abz when I was Paleo and meth addict lean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew James View Post
I tried Paleo for a time and got way too skinny. Certainly didn't work for me to gain weight no matter how much fat I added.

I had the same results as these two. ^
Old 05-25-2011, 02:47 PM   #8
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Everyone is different, if you're genetically inclined to be lean or just gain an extra 20 pounds of fat only when you're in your mid 30's.... it's fair to say that's not the same as being at least 60-80 pounds overweight at age 20. (my case). I don't get instantly ripped by eating Paleo like others do. I like strength training and haven't done a metcon in a long while though.

That said... even I had trouble eating enough calories when I tried SS or other strength programs that require you to add weight every single session. The only time I saw success at those, I had to eat "bad foods" or I couldn't gain weight rapidly enough, in spite of trying very hard to eat many calories on pure Paleo, olive oil shots on top of meals, etc. It gets tough.

By the way, everybody and their mother has a unique definition of Paleo nowdays. Some hardcore people eat very low-carb (just veggies), other eat starchy tubers and fruits like crazy, others add milk and/or cheese and call it "paleo+dairy", etc. Not everyone claiming to eat "Paleo" is eating in the exact same way. Maybe similar but there are details to everyone's choices. At least I notice this from these forums. Sooner or later someone will claim to be eating "Paleo+snickers" or something to that effect.

I think you can gain weight and muscle eating Paleo but it's slower than eating like a horse. And again, it just wont work for linear progression. But if you don't care about progressing slowly it might be a good choice, for those who want to add muscle without too much fat at the same time. But you'd still have to try hard to eat a lot... it's very easy to under eat (for performance goals specially) eating Paleo meals for some reason and that is why people get lean so easily I suposse. Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:05 PM   #9
Lauren Mackenzie

Profile:

Thanks for the responses everyone! Seems like everyone has had different experiences with Paleo and the ability to gain weight, which just goes to prove that there is no "perfect" diet out there and everyone has to tweak it to their own individual needs.

I'm just experimenting at the moment and am on day 30 (I think!) of a 90 day strict Paleo challenge being run by my box. I can say that so far I don't think I've gained weight, but it has taken a while to adjust to getting enough calories in! It's so easy to undereat, because before it was so easy to just grab a glass of milk, or consume peanut butter by the bucket!

I guess it's just going to take a while to get used to the change of lifestyle and force myself to add calories at every opportunity!
Old 05-25-2011, 05:37 PM   #10
Michael Dries

Profile:

I had no problem with it. I tracked my calories and from Jan 10 to March 25 I gained almost 20lbs.

My trick was enough protein for 1g/lb of body weight, I stayed low carb (some fruit in the morning) and a CRAP ton of coconut oil. I ate about a gallon in 6 weeks.

Ultimately I was eating upwards up 4500 cal/day towards the end. The other trick was to slowly increase the calories. I started at 176lbs and 3000 calories a day. When I began leaning out I'd add anohter 500 calories, rinse repeat. For what it's worth I never stalled on my lifts until the end when I blew my form on LB squat and tore my shoulder.

Gaining weight eating paleo is the same as eating any other food, you just have to eat more.